Thread: GARMIN GPS/CHARTPLOTTER 545s Problems

Default GARMIN GPS/CHARTPLOTTER 545s Problems

I've have my Deweys issue GPS since 2008. I've had a few issues in the past loosing signal and just have to hit the select button, but this past weekend in PWS was something else. Several times it would just plain freeze up. Only way to power it down was to disconnect the cable in the back. Then for some reason, it felt like it was getting warm to the touch of the screen. What irratated me more than anything else was we would loose the bottom and would either get a red thick line on top that we only had 3 feet of water or it would br frozen on a depth and would not change even at idle with flat seas and not wind to move the boat. One time I repowered it and instead of being in Culross passage, I was on top of the mountain top. Never really had any of these issues before.

I read on the Garmin web site that you can get the upgrades and load on a SD Card. It also mentioned that if done improperly that you would have to send it in to GARMIN to reset it. I'm not wanting to loose my GPS for weeks nor do I want to loose all my settings and waypoints inside my memory.

Has anyone had any issues with theirs and did you update it as well as have you ever had to send it in to Garmin?

I think I have either the same model or similar previous model. I've never been happy with the sonar, but I think that's partly/mostly due to the cheapy transducer they use. The problems I've had with the gps is every so often my breadcrumb tracks disapear from the screen, and once when we were in goose bay in Culross passage the gps just freeked and showed that we were on on land? I powered it down and back and it worked fine after it found the sattelites. I'm thinking the gps problem in culross has to due with loosing communication with satelites and the unit trying to figure out where it's at w/o a sufficient number of sats locked in.

Sounds like your unit is starting to get flaky and I'd highly recomend tranferring your waypoints to paper charts as a backup. Electronics generally don't fix themselves when they start acting up, so your options are use it til it pukes, or send it in to see if they can fix it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The update is pretty straight forward. Once downloaded and unzipped to the SD card install in your Garmin and power up the unit, it sees the update and does the rest. You can also transfer your existing data on the Garmin to another SD card for a backup. Just like a computer, backup then update.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Yep. The install is just as posted above. It's really easy to do. I'm not too sure if an update will fix your issue, but it's worth a try.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks Guys, I will give the update a try when I get back home. Question: Will an update clear my memory? Rob, I hope it fixes my problem, I really don't want to shell out any more money for at least a few years. I came real close to selling her this spring, but change of heart of my wifes prevented the sale. I don't want to give her an excuse to say, ok, enough is enough, the cost is starting to outweigh the fun.

You won't lose any of your data. Once you put in the update card and fire it up, it pretty much guides you thru the process and takes a minute or two.
    I dont' think I could ever sell mine. Especially with all the time I've put into her. Heck, She's still broke at Dewey's right now. But good news is it looks like I'm finally getting 2 new motors. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I hope you get her all healed up and back on the water soon. It is good therapy to say the least. :-)

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I've have my Deweys issue GPS since 2008. I've had a few issues in the past loosing signal and just have to hit the select button, but this past weekend in PWS was something else. Several times it would just plain freeze up. Only way to power it down was to disconnect the cable in the back. Then for some reason, it felt like it was getting warm to the touch of the screen. What irratated me more than anything else was we would loose the bottom and would either get a red thick line on top that we only had 3 feet of water or it would br frozen on a depth and would not change even at idle with flat seas and not wind to move the boat. One time I repowered it and instead of being in Culross passage, I was on top of the mountain top. Never really had any of these issues before.

I read on the Garmin web site that you can get the upgrades and load on a SD Card. It also mentioned that if done improperly that you would have to send it in to GARMIN to reset it. I'm not wanting to loose my GPS for weeks nor do I want to loose all my settings and waypoints inside my memory.

Has anyone had any issues with theirs and did you update it as well as have you ever had to send it in to Garmin?
    I had the exact same problem with my 188C two years ago. Tried everything you tried, but to no avail. Garmin didn't have any updates for that unit (too old/discontinued), so they recommended I replace it.

I do updates of my 4212 every spring and have not lost any data. I would definitely back up your way points to SD card as well in case something goes wrong. Feel free to email me a copy of your points just to make sure they are safe.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I do updates of my 4212 every spring and have not lost any data. I would definitely back up your way points to SD card as well in case something goes wrong. Feel free to email me a copy of your points just to make sure they are safe.

I plan to give it a try when I get off slope. I appreciate you looking out for me by keeping my points safe> :-) I will offer do the same for you when you do your updates.