Thread: Gamakatsu is worthless ! No retailers, no help, nothing! My rant.....

Default Gamakatsu is worthless ! No retailers, no help, nothing! My rant.....

Well after hearing so much about how great Gamakatsu hooks are by members, I decided I would pick some up for my upcoming trip to Alaska next month.

The Gamakatsu website is not arranged well enough that I could not see details of their selection, sizes, etc... Gap distance - not known so I am lost!

Then an email I sent asking why I have no retail store that can help me (Southern California or Anchorage Alaska) to their rep came back as:

"We should have what you need. Please go to our website www.gamakatsu.com and
    click on, product catalog and you will find everything that we make."

Sounds like I got passed the buck !

OK then so what do I do ??? Guess and order one of everything ?

Having to deal with ADF&G regulations, EO, and now tackle for my trip is just freakin me out!

Is there a retail store in Anchorage, Wasilla, or Palmer that has all the terminal tackle I need and knowledge of what works ????

Check Cabelas, BassPro to name a couple, plus all the other online tackle sellers. Lotsa models, lotsa pics, lotsa descriptions.

there are plenty of shops here to buy whatever you need. I wouldn't even waste the time to buy them on the internet. And by the way they are very popular with people up here regardless of how you intend to use them.

Thanks BrownBear for the suggestion.
    Guess the internet will have to do in lieu of a real person.

But I am getting excited to visit your state in a few weeks....

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Check Cabelas, BassPro to name a couple, plus all the other online tackle sellers. Lotsa models, lotsa pics, lotsa descriptions.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by 4SallyPat View Post
    Well after hearing so much about how great Gamakatsu hooks are by members, I decided I would pick some up for my upcoming trip to Alaska next month.

The Gamakatsu website is not arranged well enough that I could not see details of their selection, sizes, etc... Gap distance - not known so I am lost!

Then an email I sent asking why I have no retail store that can help me (Southern California or Anchorage Alaska) to their rep came back as:

"We should have what you need. Please go to our website www.gamakatsu.com and
    click on, product catalog and you will find everything that we make."

Sounds like I got passed the buck !

OK then so what do I do ??? Guess and order one of everything ?

Having to deal with ADF&G regulations, EO, and now tackle for my trip is just freakin me out!

Is there a retail store in Anchorage, Wasilla, or Palmer that has all the terminal tackle I need and knowledge of what works ????
    Pick up the phone and call them, their number is right there on their website. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    there are plenty of shops here to buy whatever you need. I wouldn't even waste the time to buy them on the internet...
    Yep, I live in So Cal but do my shopping when I get up to Wasilla at http://www.3riversflyandtackle.com/index.html
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

In wasilla go to three river fly and tackle or walmart or sportmens wharehouse. Hope you have a great trip
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Thanks Ysr racer & skybust!

Very helpful tip !

Yes, I will stop by Wasilla since it is in on the way to Willow.

The 3riversflyguys website is definitely attractive and I shall seek their advice as my fishing bucket list is quite long:
    Northern Pike
    Burbot
    Trout
    Salmon

I really do appreciate the efforts of all the forum members coming from a newbie.
    I never thought Alaskans could be so thoughtful and communicative.
    Many thanks and will become a tourist in 18 days (I am counting the days).....

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    In wasilla go to three river fly and tackle or walmart or sportmens wharehouse. Hope you have a great trip
    Last edited by 4SallyPat; 05-30-2013 at 21:00. Reason: mis spell

Their website sucks because their hooks are in ever store anywhere near a salmon or steelhead stream in the PNW or Alaska or British Columbia or... They basically make the best hooks you can buy at a reasonable price, especially if you shop around. I'm sure others will argue but their widespread use speaks for itself. I should be getting a royalty for this post!

Since you mention hook gap size, I suspect your going to fish the Russian? Just use Russian river flies, they are cheap an readily available. If you are fishing properly your going to loose several to the rocks anyhow, don't over think it. There is some threads on here from a guy that has developed a method with circle hooks, looks really cool and he lists specific hook part numbers to use.

Three Rivers in Wasilla is top notch, very helpful, know their stuff and not afraid to share their local knowledge.

Hooks are hooks. Just about any old rusty piece of wire will catch the stuff on your "bucket list". No need to get bent out of shape about the company's website. You can pick up the right hooks at nearly every store in Alaska. Heck, the dang grocery stores have gamakatsu hooks on the isle between the Tylenol and the toilet paper. Or you can pick them up at the gas station where you refuel between fishing holes. No worries.

The better advice is to not worry about separate hooks at all. Just buy the flies or lures you need when you get here and use the hook that comes with it. Many areas are single hook only, and you'll find many of the popular lures (e.g. Pixee spoons) come with the right single hook already in the package. Just remove the stock treble and crimp on the single hook. For sockeye, just grab a handfull of Russian flies. Again, the grocery and department stores will have them in bulk bins for as low as a quarter a piece.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    No need to get bent out of shape about the company's website.
    Pun intended? All I could think when I read that was "buy Gamakatsu's and they won't bend"...

Quote Originally Posted by 4SallyPat View Post
    I never thought Alaskans could be so thoughtful and communicative.
    Now why would you think that......haven't you heard? We're the friendliest people in the world! As soon as you get to Anchorage you'll find that out right away...!!! ........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Now why would you think that......haven't you heard? We're the friendliest people in the world! As soon as you get to Anchorage you'll find that out right away...!!! ........lol
    Aww come on, you must be kidding ?

After all those Alaska State Trooper episodes I have watched - not all Alaskans are like the show stars?

these hooks are great...sorry the website sucks. you should just post "what size/style gamakatsu hooks work for (whatever) species". you'd probably get better info than from a website anyways.

Gamakatsu makes what I believe to be the 3 best hooks for salmon/steel.

1) Big River Bait... best sickle style hook for snelling egg loops and leaders for hoochies/herring. Also a great stinger hook for flies tied on shanks/tubes.
    2) Big River Open Eye.... best sickle style "siwash" hook for swapping out those nasty trebles for plugs, spinners, and spoons
    3) Nautilus Circle... best hook for flossing sockeye.

Give'em a try.... you won't be disappointed.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

i pull the treble hooks off my pike lures and use the open eye 2/0-3/0's for pike, way easier to release and easier not to get your hands all chewed up.

I'm not familiar with 3rivers in Wasilla...But I would stick with them or another locally owned shop. The people working there have great knowledge and will help you get the right hooks.
    You can also try Mossy's or Mountain View Sports in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Still cracks me up when the narrator is all like "Over in Palmer Alaska" then shows the palmer water tower and then flips over and they are over by Hollywood rd just a mile outside of Biglake lol.