Thread: A Friends advise 180TSX - RL22 & 300WBY Mag

Default A Friends advise 180TSX - RL22 & 300WBY Mag

Thanks a friend of mine for using his software and helping me decide on powder for the 180gr TSX in my 300WBY Mag. Just look at the results, the very powder he said would work did just as his soft ware predicted.

The next two pictures are the 180gr TSX , RL-22 moving at 3287fps, three shot group at 100yds and the group size is .334”

This third picture is 180gr TSX , IMR7828 moving at 3211fps, three shot group at 100yds and the group size is .452”

Bullet: 180gr TSX
    Powders used: H4831, IMR7828, MRP, RL-22, RL-25
    Primer used CCI 250 Large Rifle Mag.
    Brass used: New, unprimed Weatherby brass.
    OAL was: 3.710”

Please work up to any loads I have used although safe in my rifle might not be in yours. I used unprimed New Weatherby brass and not neck sized once fired brass because I wanted accuracy with full sized new brass so that each round would feed easy because of some of the game I will be hunting. Did not have a group over 1 ½” group with the TSX no matter what power or charge I used. With H4831 it took 85grs to reach just over 3200fps and accuracy was the worst of the bunch which 1 ½” is not bad. RL-25 gave good velocity over 3200fps but not accuracy I wanted it was over 1” also. Now MRP was over 3200fps but was also over 1” in group size. IMR7828 was 3211fps and shot a .452” group. The real surprise was RL-22 with 84.5 not so much in velocity which was 3287 but in accuracy, a .334” group. WOW!!!! What a load, Yep this will be my load at this velocity and accuracy even for the big ones. What a day at the range. It all happened so quick without a bunch of trouble, not a single problem of any kind. Thank you Lord! Now I don’t have to spend a ton of money and a lot of time tweaking powder or OAL. By the way it was 85degrees at the hottest point this morning and no pressure signs with the two loads shown in the pictures. I measured the base, and no real flat primers or shiny marks on the bottom of the brass. Thanks to my friend ☺☺
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I worked up this load making sure there were no pressure signs. I measured the base of my case and it had only expanded .004 - Also no imprint of any kind on the bottom of the brass. This might be a cool lot and lots can very as much a 10%, so I will not use this pound for anything but this load. If I buy more RL-22 when I run out of this lot, I will back off 10% and work up again. Do not use my load without first backing off 10% and working up using proven methods to determine pressure signs. Your rifle might not take the pressures that mine can, your case capacity if not Weatherby brass will be different and your lot of RL-22 could be as much as 10% hotter than my lot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Because of the sometimes significant variation in different powder lots I have started buying powder in 5 or 8 lb containers - saves a lot of retesting and with the "generous" calibers I usually shoot it doesn't take long to run thru a 1 lb canister of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Because of the sometimes significant variation in different powder lots I have started buying powder in 5 or 8 lb containers - saves a lot of retesting and with the "generous" calibers I usually shoot it doesn't take long to run thru a 1 lb canister of powder.
    Thought about that after got the results I did so this will only be used for loading these hunting bullets and checking my sight in each time before I hunt. Hope it last a couple of years, but your idea is a good one and the next time I buy RL-22 it will be more than a pound.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I always check out my round in the real world using 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water from 200, 300, 400 and out to 500 and 550yards. It lets me know real quick what it will and will not do. I put them up at this range we have and it is dry and dusty when we shoot so we can see at the real long ranges what is really happening. We also put a large 4' by 6' plywood board behind the milk jugs to see where the bullet is hitting if it does not kick up dust in front of the jug. I will be doing this before I take my first hunting trip. Tell you the truth I can't wait to go and shoot those ranges hopefully the beginning of June so I have time to work on knowing my rifle and round.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is the TSX. It will look different because the grooves will be showing but that is because my OAL in my 300WBY due to my 3/8 free bore allows me to seat further out and Barnes TSX bullets need to be seated real close to the lands for accuracy so my OAL is 3.710 which also lets me use heavy long bullets and not rob case space and my powder charge. You can see how accurate it is looking at the target that I have already posted on this thread.

Here is the scope a nikoon buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm SF BDC I like it better than the VX-III Boone and Crockett I had on it or the Zeiss Conquest. The nikon is as clear, field of veiw is great no matter what power the edges are clear, and when I sight in the cross hairs at 200 with the TSX load it is on at 300, 400, 500, 600 and the Boone and Crockett I had to play with hold over on the last three points of hold over and the Zeiss did not have a BDC.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

With a Group like that, you better have the Excuse Book 101 with you, if you ever miss a Shot! ..Big-Grins !

In my Rifle (300 Win Mag.With 180 Bullet) “RL-22” is the Best Stuff I ever use!

Quote Originally Posted by LoadDrive1 View Post
    With a Group like that, you better have the Excuse Book 101 with you, if you ever miss a Shot! ..Big-Grins !

In my Rifle (300 Win Mag.With 180 Bullet) “RL-22” is the Best Stuff I ever use!
    You know, I have not thought of that, your right, better be a might good and manly excuse.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS