Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Orca Inlet near Cordova

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    18

    Default Orca Inlet near Cordova

    I am planning a kayaking trip through Prince William Sound and am trying to get some information on the shallow water in Orca Inlet to the southwest of Cordova. Does anyone here have any first hand experience paddling a kayak between Cordova and Hawkins Cutoff? Can it be done at any tide level or is it necessary to make the trip during a rising tide? Any information on this will be appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default

    Funny, I was just about to post this same question. Any info would be greatly appreciated....

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cordova, AK
    Posts
    10

    Default

    On a low tide it will be impossible you can almost walk accross over to hawkins island. If you catch it about halway through coming in you should be fine.

  4. #4
    Member CGSwimmer25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    695

    Default

    I was just there in May hunting bear and bounced around between Orca Inlet, Nelson & Simpson Bay. Orca Inlet is very difficult to maneuver without a Jet Boat and can be a frustrating trip. While I probably won't ever head in there again, I will say the channel is well marked this year and is accurate. We used the channel to get close to mountain slew then relied on a very good gps to find the small tributaries. This worked for us but once we got deep in there we weren't able to leave until high tide. If you do decide to go just make sure you have a good chart loaded on the GPS and follow the channel buoys. The weather can also get real nasty all around Cordova so play it safe. Good luck

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    18

    Default Rising Tide in Orca Inlet

    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    On a low tide it will be impossible you can almost walk accross over to hawkins island. If you catch it about halway through coming in you should be fine.
    Jens - Thanks for that information. The area seems to be similar to the channel through the Mendenhall Bar NW of Juneau which I have paddled through twice and know from experience that it can only be transited during a high tide. The chart for Orca Inlet shows a shallow channel running along the southern shoreline of Hawkins Island that turns to tidal flats at low tide near the SW tip of the island. This is the route that I am planning to take. As you suggest, I will plan my passage through this area to coincide with a rising tide. Denis

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    18

    Default GPS in Orca Inlet

    Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I was just there in May hunting bear and bounced around between Orca Inlet, Nelson & Simpson Bay. Orca Inlet is very difficult to maneuver without a Jet Boat and can be a frustrating trip. While I probably won't ever head in there again, I will say the channel is well marked this year and is accurate. We used the channel to get close to mountain slew then relied on a very good gps to find the small tributaries. This worked for us but once we got deep in there we weren't able to leave until high tide. If you do decide to go just make sure you have a good chart loaded on the GPS and follow the channel buoys. The weather can also get real nasty all around Cordova so play it safe. Good luck
    CGSwimmer25 - Thanks for that information. I will keep my GPS handy when paddling through this area. Denis

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cordova
    Posts
    75

    Default

    CGS swimmer is talking about a different area. He's obviously off on his locations. You can run kayak on any tide, channels are marked and 30 ft boats run fine on on sw side of orca inlet running south along hawkins

  8. #8
    Member CGSwimmer25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    CGS swimmer is talking about a different area. He's obviously off on his locations. You can run kayak on any tide, channels are marked and 30 ft boats run fine on on sw side of orca inlet running south along hawkins
    Nope, I know where Orca Inlet is and that's what I was referring to. I will admit though that I was doing three things at once when I read this thread and missed the kayaking part. We were in a inflatable loaded with gear making are trip more difficult, but Lane is correct in that you'll be fine in any tide with a kayak. The tidal flats do get sucked dry pretty fast at low tide though so depending on where your exploring you might have to drag a bit to get back to some deeper water. Good luck and have fun!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    CGS swimmer is talking about a different area. He's obviously off on his locations. You can run kayak on any tide, channels are marked and 30 ft boats run fine on on sw side of orca inlet running south along hawkins
    Lane,
    Thanks for that clarification. I'll stick close to Hawkins.
    Denis

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •