Thread: Equipment needed for kenai/ Russian June 14

Default Equipment needed for kenai/ Russian June 14

Got a camp site booked at cooper creek campground. Fill me in on what I should know and what type of rod, flies equipment ex I should bring. Also where are some good areas to go after trout/salmon.

For salmon - any type rod/reel. You'll only be filpping about 15' of line. the reds tend to stay close to the bank. Coho flies work, as will a bare hook with some yarn tied to it. You need enough weight (at least18" from the fly) to let the fly drift along the bottom. If you're not getting hung-up, you need more weight. Use heavy line - minimum 25 lb test. This is combat fishing territory & you want to get the fish in fast. Floks will put up with someone letting a fish or two run past them, but at some point someone 30 yards downstream will bring out a knife & oops - looke like your fish "broke off". If you're fishing in the Russian or sanctuary, you must use a single hook fly.
    As to where - try the Russian or the Kenai - think you got that part down already.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    For salmon - any type rod/reel. You'll only be filpping about 15' of line. the reds tend to stay close to the bank. Coho flies work, as will a bare hook with some yarn tied to it. You need enough weight (at least18" from the fly) to let the fly drift along the bottom. If you're not getting hung-up, you need more weight. Use heavy line - minimum 25 lb test. This is combat fishing territory & you want to get the fish in fast. Floks will put up with someone letting a fish or two run past them, but at some point someone 30 yards downstream will bring out a knife & oops - looke like your fish "broke off". If you're fishing in the Russian or sanctuary, you must use a single hook fly.
    As to where - try the Russian or the Kenai - think you got that part down already.
    Sanctuary won't be open yet, so your options are the Russian or downstream of the ferry crossing on the Kenai.