Thread: Best river for salmon fishing

Default Best river for salmon fishing

I will be in the anchorage area June 13 to June 15 where is the best area for salmon fishing ill be heading home to Fairbanks the 15 so something on the way or within an hour of anchorage only chance to get some fishing in around anchorage this summer

There will be very little for salmon fishing within an hour of Anchorage in that time frame. You could go wet a line at Ship Creek for kings - keep an eye on the reports here to see how productive you can expect it to be. The only other option that comes to mind is running to the Russian River for sockeye, but that's two hours south of Anchorage, so a bit outside of your specified range.

I was thing I might hav to head down to the Keanu trying to find a camp spot and a river down there any ideas

How productive is the Russian that time

The Kenai is really your only chance at any fish. The Russian can be productive at that time if you find the schools and sit on a good hole. As a side note I would make sure you have a net if you are fishing in the russian its self, not many good places to beach fish.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    The Kenai is really your only chance at any fish. The Russian can be productive at that time if you find the schools and sit on a good hole. As a side note I would make sure you have a net if you are fishing in the russian its self, not many good places to beach fish.
    Is kings the only species I can expect at that time. As can you keep kings in the kenai

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    How productive is the Russian that time
    That remains to be seen. Some years it can be smokin' hot at that time, while other years the run will be just starting to build. This year's spring has been an odd one, so it could perhaps delay the run with colder water temps. Again, watching the reports from the opener (on the 11th) should give you an idea of what to expect.

As for camping, there are plenty of gravel pits in the area. The proper campsites will likely be filled, but there are countless places to pitch a tent.

Is kings the only species I can expect at that time. As can you keep kings in the kenai
    I wouldn't bother with kings in the Kenai. First of all, the run is struggling mightily. There are few options for retention, almost all fishing is done from a boat, and you'd have to drive an hour further. Sockeyes (reds), rainbows, or dollies in the upper Kenai or the Russian are your best bet.

Thanks what's the run like for reds that time of year

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I wouldn't bother with kings in the Kenai. First of all, the run is struggling mightily. There are few options for retention, almost all fishing is done from a boat, and you'd have to drive an hour further. Sockeyes (reds), rainbows, or dollies in the upper Kenai or the Russian are your best bet.
    Any knowledge on granite creek I only ask because they is the closet I can get a camp ground

To the Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Got a camp researched for cooper creek right up from the Russian camo ground. Now for equipment specifically fly equipment what do I need rod weight flys and so on. I have a six weight any ideas.

the russian is very close to coopers landing, like 10 min drive time depending which side of town your on, a 6wt will not cut it!!!!!!!! You need at least an 8wt. I use a 9 and it isn't always easy. Big thing is the net if you don't have a good place to beach fish. Flies really don't matter and I wouldn't use weighted flies, you will get snagged up even more on rocks. All people do there is swing flies any way or "floss". If I were you I would hike up to the Russian River Falls and fish my way down. However be aware there are plenty of bears around. And they will take your fish if you don't have them on you or really close by!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    the russian is very close to coopers landing, like 10 min drive time depending which side of town your on, a 6wt will not cut it!!!!!!!! You need at least an 8wt. I use a 9 and it isn't always easy. Big thing is the net if you don't have a good place to beach fish. Flies really don't matter and I wouldn't use weighted flies, you will get snagged up even more on rocks. All people do there is swing flies any way or "floss". If I were you I would hike up to the Russian River Falls and fish my way down. However be aware there are plenty of bears around. And they will take your fish if you don't have them on you or really close by!
    Any idea if you get cell phone coverage down on cooper. Don't ask why I'm asking long story

Any idea if you get cell phone coverage down on cooper. Don't ask why I'm asking long story
    Yes, for the most part. The coverage can be spotty and you won't get any down in the canyon along the upper stretches of the Russian River, but you should have coverage in your campground and along some portions of the river.

There is a pay phone next to the overflow parking at Russian River.

I'll take the Karluk River choked with silvers and steelhead early Oct. @ the Air Force R&R hotel.

Like Brian said there is cell coverage for the most part in that area, but if you travel any further south then that you wont have any until you get to Sterling.