Thread: Go get um boys!

Default Go get um boys!

Good Job! I hope it helps and there are more tasty ungulates out this fall.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...9bb30f31a.html

I posted a thread on this on the game management forum:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...40#post1288840

What a waste of money! There is no legitimate reason why the villagers didn’t go bear hunting on their own. I am guessing that they prefer moose meat over bear and that the majority of that donated meat is going to be thrown away.

Anyone catch the archival interview with Jay Hammond on 360 North last night? Quite a few relevant points he made in that decade old video that pertain to this very subject.....

....And none of it positive.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Hunters claimed to be stewards of wildlife in the past but modern hunters prefer the government to do the job today.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

When the government does it, its legal.

I think giving out that meat was the warm and fuzzy, hearts and Minds crap, putting a doller value on was iceing on the cake.

Hunters don't want skinny and cant shoot Sows with cubs, but the Gov used a Helocopter and Kill'd 'em all. I wish I could hunt like that!! I wonder why Obama dosent just Hellfire them from a drone?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Put a burqua on 'em and he'd probably do it.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    What a waste of money! There is no legitimate reason why the villagers didn’t go bear hunting on their own. I am guessing that they prefer moose meat over bear and that the majority of that donated meat is going to be thrown away.
    Waste of money?? They made $80k worth of meat out of it! HAHAHAH What a joke. Like stranger said; trying to justify it. But, they do this in PAwith deer, that cost 15K a piece. Boy it pisses me off. I guarentee I could find 20 guys that would pay 5k a piece to shoot 2 bear out of a helicopter. 90/2=45*5k=225K. The price of what it cost. HMMMM, ME for Game commis president!!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

The dept. has to resort to these methods to reduce bear numbers because many, including hunters (especially "true hunters") will not support the measures that would entice people to kill more bears. Sale of all parts, including gall. Lifting of bag limits. Lifting of sow/cubs restrictions. Allowing more methods...ie, trapping.
    Few here have any problem with unlimited wolf trapping, but suggest placing bears on the furbearer list..........OH NO, that just ain't sporting!
    F&G was flying around in a chopper before green up and shooting bears from the chopper. How can the average Joes in the vill produce similar numbers with all the restrictions on bear hunting.
    This was a waste of money. But not because of the cost. Because it should have been done by the owners of the resource, US, in a manner that allows for profit!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    F&G was flying around in a chopper before green up and shooting bears from the chopper. How can the average Joes in the vill produce similar numbers with all the restrictions on bear hunting.
    This was a waste of money. But not because of the cost. Because it should have been done by the owners of the resource, US, in a manner that allows for profit!
    I cant give you more Rep, but I can quote you and say I tryd!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Is there any access to that area for the average Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Is there any access to that area for the average Joe?
    Yeah just like all other remote areas of Alaska fly in or bloat in.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    I guarentee I could find 20 guys that would pay 5k a piece to shoot 2 bear out of a helicopter. 90/2=45*5k=225K. The price of what it cost. HMMMM, ME for Game commis president!!
    Exactly! Instead the department paid someone to fly around in helos and shoot bears. Morons. "Wait for it", someone will say there is a liability thing with average joes flying around shooting bears.

I know it's not the same, but there is a problem utilizing wildlife for profit in that manner. Look at what the Chinese, Vietnamese, and Yemeni's are doing to rhino's and elephants in Africa. And that is mostly illicit profit.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/cac/Pressroom/2012/030.html

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    I know it's not the same, but there is a problem utilizing wildlife for profit in that manner. Look at what the Chinese, Vietnamese, and Yemeni's are doing to rhino's and elephants in Africa. And that is mostly illicit profit.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/cac/Pressroom/2012/030.html
    You can't compare the two since one country is selling wildlife to make money and the other is making money instead of spending it. In Alaskas case they are going to kill the bears one way or another so they might as well make money from it or at a minimum break even by loosening the hunting, trapping, and ability for people to sell bear parts regulations so more people would be willing to shoot them.

89 bears in 530 sq miles and they weren't shooting sows with cubs? thats a pretty impressive bear density. I think the whole thing is a giant waste of time and money but hey what do i know. the bears and the moose have been hashing it out for quite some time and have both managed to survive without us. maybe we should stop shooting all the moose around there and let nature do its thing. We've done such a fine job of F-ing everything up the last couple hundred years i guess why stop now. i dont see why the moose have more right to survive than the bears..oh yeah because people pay more to shoot them.

Appears to be one too many moose potlucks in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    the bears and the moose have been hashing it out for quite some time and have both managed to survive without us.
    Yup.....and in the long range picture, they probably would continue to do so. But unfortunately the "us" factor (in all of our infinite wisdom) is pretty big nowadays......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!