Thread: Dogs getting into porcupines

Default Dogs getting into porcupines

I have a malamute that will not stop attacking porcupines, she hates them. It's been 3 times, once last night, once two days ago, and once last hunting season. No amount of pain will stop her from going bizzerk. This last time was the worst, had to pull her off the porcupine. Now, I got bit a few times, and it was a real struggle to hold such a powerful dog to remove the quills.

There are a couple that I cant seem to get, one underneath the front lip, in front of the front teeth. The other, broke of in the pad of her front paw. In the direction it's going (the one in the mouth), it will come out of the top of her nose. Can I leave it and let it work it's way out? Or should she go to the vet? I got the other 40-50 quills.

I had a dog that just hammered by a quill pig. She ended up going to the vet and had quills removed from inside her mouth and throat. Maybe a year later she had one migrate up through the top of her muzzle and I pulled it out the top of her nose. My guess is it will be Ok but I suppose there is a chance it could end up where it could do damage in the future. Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

If the quill is in the nose area, it might be worth getting it looked at. That part of the muzzle can get infected readily and cause the dog a lot of pain. With 40-50 quills total, there is a high infection risk, especially if they remain in place. I'd get it checked out if I were you. Might be an expensive trip to the vet, but it could be way more expensive later.

dog is quite sore and miserable today, that last one sticking into the nose (from inside top lip) isn't visible.....probably worked it's way up in.

That sucks, man; a little "training" with a porky carcass and a rubber hose might be in order..... or invest in a muzzle....malamutes are an obedience training challenge for sure. I'd get him to the vet, at any rate.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Just keep an eye out for ***** discharge, hotness, or any sign of infection. My shepherd got into one last week. Ended up blindfolding her, then putting Vicks Vapor rub under her nose so she couldn't smell the pliers coming.

Guess I need to break pu ssy like discharge into multiple words.

yeah, may be time for the vet, there are two or more embedded in the nose and top lip, I can feel them. The male pup has one embedded in his front paw. Couldn't get em all.