Thread: Pickled fish recipe

Default Pickled fish recipe

I have never been a real big fan of pickled fish, but this recipe is pretty good. It works really well with bony fish like pike.

Filet and remove rib bones of fish. Cut into pieces. (don't worry about Y bones)
    Put in large glass or plastic bowl in solution of: 1 cup salt to 4 cups water. Let stand 48 hours at room temperature.
    Drain and rinse well with cold water. Put back in bowl & cover with vinegar, refrigerate for 24 hours.
    Take fish out and drain, but do not rinse.
    Brine: Bring the following ingredients to a boil then place in the refrigerator to cool.
    (Makes 2 1/2 lbs of fish.)
    2 cups white vinegar 5 whole cloves 1 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp. whole allspice, 4 bay leaves, 1 tsp. whole pepper corns, 5 to 10 cloves of garlic, 1 cup white wine (sweet wine, cheap stuff works just fine)
    Put fish in jars with sliced onions & lemon, then pour cold brine over & refrigerate. Ready to eat in 2 weeks.

Occasionally I will throw a few hot peppers into one of the jars.

Anybody have any other pickled fish recipes?

I've got one that I will scan in tonight. Pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone while hiding with a gun and a bottle.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I salt my salmon for 3 weeks until I pickle it, then rinse it in fresh water doing several water changes for 12-24 hours with fresh water. Then I complete the pickling solution and then add to the jars; alternating layers of salmon and onions/orange slices. I tried lemons before, but it was too tart and not sweet enough (still delicious though!). Pickled salmon doesn't last long around here! I really like using Sockeye because it firms up very well. However King/Coho is always a good choice too!

Here is the PDF link to the recipe I've been using.

http://herbdaum.net/recipes/recipe_p...led_salmon.pdf

Default Pickled Fish

Pages 1 and 2 of 3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Default Pickled Fish

Page 3 of 3. I use the "herring-style" brine at the top of page 3.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pickled fish recipe Milo. I better grab my magnifying glass...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Thanks for the pickled fish recipe Milo. I better grab my magnifying glass...
    I catch a lot of small fish so it works for me.

The forum software resized it down to 800x600. Still readable if you save and zoom. Otherwise I could email the original images at 1632x1224.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post

The forum software resized it down to 800x600. Still readable if you save and zoom. Otherwise I could email the original images at 1632x1224.
    Thanks, but I can see it o.k. if I use the zoom...I already saved it for future reference.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I think...if you click the add attachment button then uncheck the little box underneath the url section it makes the pic big...something about retrieve locally??? Not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I think...if you click the add attachment button then uncheck the little box underneath the url section it makes the pic big...something about retrieve locally??? Not sure though.
    I didn't link to a url, I uploaded as an attachment which is what resized them. I supposed I could upload them to a photo hosting site and then link the url... or just squint a little like I do.

I didn't link to a url, I uploaded as an attachment which is what resized them. I supposed I could upload them to a photo hosting site and then link the url... or just squint a little like I do.
    Nothing wrong with squinting.

thanks milo and anythingalaska. I am going to take the fish out of the salt tonight and refresh it and try a couple different methods. I will try to remember to post which way worked best for me.

one more day in the brine and then its testing time!!

Very nice, I've had lots of different fish pickled, and by far pike is my favorite. Definitely good for the little ones. I usually figure at 24 and up I can fillet it well enough to get some nice chunks for the fryer or baked, but you can pickle any size.

I have a question...well two actually.

I have a lot of pike from this summer/fall. I filet normally but the wife is tired of the bones...so if I was to pickle the pike, would the bones break down and become edible? Or would I still need to pick them out?

Also is it ok if the pike was previously frozen?

Previously frozen is fine, and indeed the bones go away.