Thread: Raised Bed Gardening with Railroad Ties

Default Raised Bed Gardening with Railroad Ties

Does anyone know where or if I can find some railroad ties to build a raised bed for my wife? If I don't get one built, I am not going to be going hunting any time soon! Thanks for any help or suggestions.

The RR does not bring them back to town. They are left next to the tracks within their right of way in most areas.

Older ties contain several metals and semi volatile compounds that you do not want in your food.

Yeah.....I don't know it I'd want the crap in them leaching out into my yard or my veggies. Have you looked at the landscaping posts w/ two flat sides?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The old railroad ties were creosote coated, a chemical that is no longer available commercialloy. I've used them, however, and with no apparent ill effects. And they certainly do last longer than anything one finds now in the newer pressure-treated products.

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    Does anyone know where or if I can find some railroad ties to build a raised bed for my wife? If I don't get one built, I am not going to be going hunting any time soon! Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bfs/3818269962.html

There are usually some on craigslist...last year the RR had them posted for sale on CL as well. I would suggest bringing along a strong helper, as they are quite heavy.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Thanks to all for the replies. we are interested in organic gardening and eating good foods in general so I guess RR ties are out.

Lightbulb

Have you considered cement blocks? My wife uses them for retaining beds, also fills the holes and plants in them as well.

Likely more expensive than ties or lumber . . worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Have you considered cement blocks? My wife uses them for retaining beds, also fills the holes and plants in them as well.

Likely more expensive than ties or lumber . . worth looking into.
    That's the route I went with. I built my first garden with cement blocks that I purchased, and while the cost was higher than comparable wood products, it wasn't too bad considering their durability and how nice they look. I fell into hundreds of blocks for free last summer, so now I'm working on garden #2 with blocks after having removed our previous tire gardens in which we grew potatoes. The tires worked great, but the concern of leached chemicals combined with the free blocks made the decision for us.

For a product that will never rot out and easy to install is Guardrails like the kind that you see along the road. They are simple to install just drive rebar through the bolt holes that works for joining two sections together.Just make them long enough that you can stake them in the ground. They should be available at the major fence companies as they are the ones that does contracts for the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    Thanks to all for the replies. we are interested in organic gardening and eating good foods in general so I guess RR ties are out.
    Whelenator
    I have 12 old rr ties that are free to a good home. for the last 12 yrs they have marked the border of my garden... a Year ago I shifted over to raised beds with 2x12x12's and the RR ties were just in my way... I'm off of KGB road south of Wasilla about 7 miles more or less.
    I'll be around most all day tomorrow, but tomorrow evening I'm taking off for some Halibut fishing and will be gone all weekend.. PM me if your interested .. a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do..!

I used 2x10 on edge raised up to 12". I had some pallets I tore apart to block the gap. Initially I was planning on using pallets to build the hole bed.