Thread: Opinions on fish finders

Default Opinions on fish finders

Looking to upgrade my fish finder. Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions on Lowrance Elite 7 HDI? It has a chartplotter, regular sonar, and DownScan imaging. Or Lowrance Elite 7X HDI (regular sonar, DownScan imaging, no chartplotter). I already have a stand-alone chartplotter, but the Lowrance model that has a chartplotter built in allows you to find a structure and then create a waypoint for it. And for the transducer, choices of 50/200 kHz (good to 2,500 ft.) or 83/200 (good to 1,000 feet). While I won't be fishing anywhere near 1,000 or more feet, it might be good to know when I'm at or over 1,000 feet when looking to put out my shrimp pots. Or any other brands/models that you have and have opinions on would be helpful. Especially interested in people's experience with the DownScan feature. Thanks.

Having run a combo unit, I'm not keen on them as I find when I'm coming up on structure I want to see both the chart and the sonar, and when you split the screen, your image shrinks.

The way I look at fishfinders is what do the guys who make money off their fishfinders run. Based on that I'm planning on either a furuno 587 or 627 with an airmar transducer. I've run a garmin combo unit for several years and am familar with the performance of a bargain sonar unit, and personally I just can't stand not having a good fish finder.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

for me its Furuno and Northstar(bought by Simrad). Furuno makes sounders at many price points so finding one shouldn't be a problem. There are some good deals to be had on fleabay.
    20130528_130239[1].jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Not at all familiar with either the Furuno or the Lowrance, but would not buy another Garmin fishfinder. The chartplotter and integrated radar in my 3010c are top notch, but the fishfinder technology (in my unit anyway) seems to be based on 1980's technology. Be interested to see what you get and why . . .

I like Furuno, but man the good ones are pricey. I know that you get what you pay for, but that's a lot of dough. I'm anxious to get another sonar, but will have to do lots of research first.

I have the lowrance hds7 with the down scan and side scan. The down scan works great but you can only see fish on it in the shallows . I have been pleased so far

check out http://hightechfishing.com/
    and check him out if you are on facebook lots of good videos and info on the facebook page
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

What about the Garmin 741xs with the Airmar transducer so that you'd have the latest-greatest GPS, chartplotter, CHIRP sonar and even HD radar if you have money burning a hole in your pocket. As to the small-screen issue the Garmin unit allows you to use your iPad as a repeater (wirelessly, of course) so that you'd not have to suffer small-screen-itis.

They're supposed to be in stores mid-July...

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I like Furuno, but man the good ones are pricey. I know that you get what you pay for, but that's a lot of dough. I'm anxious to get another sonar, but will have to do lots of research first.
    You can get a Furuno 627 w/ an airmar TM260 for ~$1300. Not cheap, but when you factor in how much a fishing trip costs and figure the benefits of a good sonar unit it starts to pay for itself.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Don't forget to match your purchase with a good transducer, it's often overlooked but just as important as the box it's hooked up to. If you spend the money for a unit that can drive a 1kW transducer, don't cheap out with a 600 watt ducer.

I have a Furuno 582L sounder with a bronze thru hull transducer and a high speed flairing block.
    I am very happy with this setup.
    I can read bottom at any speed down to about 1100ft.
    For years I used a transom mounted transducer. I could never read bottom at high speed.
    I am a firm beliver in the thru hull transducer with the high speed flairing block.
    I have never liked combo units. I have seperate machines for each need.
    I connect my plotter to my radar, my plotter to my sounder and my GPS to my VHF radio for MMSI.
    I really like having seperate screens when the fog is thick.

Is there a good shoot through hull transducer option for aluminum boats? I'd love to ditch my transom-mounted transducer but don't want a thru-hull on my boat that sees the beach and shallow rivers fairly often.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Try this site for info and use your existing transducer!
    http://vexilar.com/info/mounting-in-hull-transducers-3/
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Thanks, Music Man. The price for the alumaducer isn't bad. Do you have one of those? Can you hold a decent reading on the bottom in deeper water while running?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

I only run the rivers, so 35ft is the max I've seen, it works at any speed. I used a broken Garmin transducer. I'm shooting through 1/4 aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    I only run the rivers, so 35ft is the max I've seen, it works at any speed. I used a broken Garmin transducer. I'm shooting through 1/4 aluminum.
    Aaaah...I was a bit slow, didn't realize at first that you were using a totally different transducer (you're using one intended for transom-mounting glued inside the hull?). Interesting, now I need to see what might work.

Are others doing this? Any of the high power transducers work this way?

"Akgramps" has done this too. I don't remember the power on my transducer but it is a 2 freq. model(older Garmin 188c). Yes transom mount epoxied inside the hull once I tested the location.