Thread: What happened to at&t coverage in PWS and the Temp Dock Whitter?

Default What happened to at&t coverage in PWS and the Temp Dock Whitter?

I was happy last year out by lone island in PWS having at&t coverage (only phone no data)... but didn't have any coverage last week out there. So, any luck with people that have ACS or GCI.

Also, noticed the dock was no longer there outside the Whittier Hotel, any word on what happened with that?

I have AT&T (4G) and my coverage consistently fades by about Decision Point. I also have a Copper River Telecom phone out of Cordova that I just use on the boat. Coverage is spotty depending on where I am, but I get far better coverage throughout the Sound than I do with AT&T.
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

I agree with Emu. I had cell service last year on AT&T but have 'emergency only' coverage this year. I suspect that AT&T had a partnering agreement with the Cordova provider that has a naked island cell tower, and it fell through or they canceled it to save cost this year. Everyone should call them up and complain. If you find a real person that makes these decisions, please post their contact info so we can all call.

The Coast Guard does not like to make calls for you unless it is an emergency. I carry a satellite phone, and I am always willing to relay a brief message for a friend in need.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

The coverage seemed to change daily last week. Early in the week I had coverage from lone out to smith and texting out to almost green. Came back in Friday afternoon and had emergency only. Then on Monday coming back in we all had good coverage from smith into almost perry.

Get an inreach! They are cheaper than a sat phone and you can use them to text and email short messages almost anywhere. I have mine paired with my iphone. People cannot text my iphone number directly, but if I send them a quick message from the inreach app on my phone they can text or email me at that address all weekend. It was a cheap way for me to communicate last year. If you need to make an actual phone call it won't help, if you just need the wife to be able to reach you through text/email it works decent. It also lets you share a map of where you are or have been similar to the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The coverage seemed to change daily last week. Early in the week I had coverage from lone out to smith and texting out to almost green. Came back in Friday afternoon and had emergency only. Then on Monday coming back in we all had good coverage from smith into almost perry.
    What phone carrier did you have? My contract is up with AT&T as will all my other 3 phones for my business. I plan to change to ACS if coverage is out there like last year south of Lone.

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post

Also, noticed the dock was no longer there outside the Whittier Hotel, any word on what happened with that?
    That's what I would like to know also my wife keeps asking me
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Has anyone called AT&T to ask whats up. Just curious. The coverage is clearly gone..
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I use to carry both AT&T and ACS phones. I'm in the business though, so I have always tried testing coverage throughout my territory (play territory) that I cover. I have decided to drop AT&T though because for me ACS seems to have better coverage. But they also partner with MTA, Copper valley telecom, and Cordova. AT&T for the most part supports there own network, although they do (or did) partner w/GCI for the bush or villages in the northwest.

Might be best to call AT&T and ask about there coverage (or you can look on there websites coverage map, I just don't know how accurate it is). You can also look at ACS's website and coverage map to see if the area is covered, this one is pretty accurate and they publish coverage that includes their partnerships coverage areas on the same map.

i don't know much about inreach though but it does sound like a good option, and I will be looking into that as well. I also carry a sat phone too though.
    Tony

One thing to keep in mind before getting into a contract, is that GCI and ACS are spinning a new wireless company up in the near future. May change the equation.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

At&t coverage is again working out by knight island. It was not working for me earlier in the season but is working again this last week.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded