Thread: Light weight tarps?

Default Light weight tarps?

Trying to cut down on gear weight limit for my fly in to float for moose, what would be a good light weight tarp to use? Seems like the 2 I have are too heavy, Thanks.

Take a look at Siltarp made by integral design. Very light, strong, and water tight. And they pack down very small. Been using them for many outdoor activities for a few years. No complaints.

Check out Bear Paw too

http://bearpawwd.com/

Better question though, is the tarp for a shelter application or for something else?

use to skin out moose, cover meat on rack or boat, make a kitchen cover, what ever the need calls for.

Ah, in that case then I wouldn't spend the money on a good silnylon tarp unless you really needed to shave every ounce possible. Not sure what you have used before but tarps come in many different duty weights. If you have one, hit up Harbor Freight. You can get a cheapo light duty tarp for next to nothing and it will function just fine for a one time use of butchering up an animal. Odds are you will slice through it or it will be so nasty that you may not want to reuse it later. You could also think about using painting drop cloths or plastic as that is pretty light.

For covering your meat, kitchen, etc. a silnylon tarp might be a decent option here. I just wouldn't want to risk slicing up a $100 sil tarp when butchering. Perhaps you need two separate items, one for cover and protection and the other for the dirty work.

Thanks, the 2 I have are from Harbor Freight, but are probably a heavier 8ml thick? Will go back and try to get some 5ml or lighter. Really don't want spend $$ on something I will use once and probably not even bring back, Thanks again.

One other option worth mentioning would be to check with construction sites or building material recyclers for large scraps of Tyvek or Lowe's house wrap. This stuff is light weight and would do for providing cover or for butchering. For a recent project I found some of the Lowe's stuff at a local place called ReStore which is a Habitat for Humanity place that takes donations of building materials and resells them to fund projects. Looks like they should have a couple places up by you. It is hit or miss but you might find some material that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by elksnout View Post
    Trying to cut down on gear weight limit for my fly in to float for moose, what would be a good light weight tarp to use? Seems like the 2 I have are too heavy, Thanks.
    If you scroll thru our picts you'll see the famous/infamous blue tarps used for all kinds of applications on our float trip. For us they worked great.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...isherktn/page3

For the past five years I have gone to taking a 10'x12' and a 8'x10' siltarp, plus a bivy sack all from Integral Designs for most all my river trips and hunts...elk, caribou, moose, sheep. So far that combo has been lighter, dryer, and roomier than dragging along a tent.

I been using Kelty nylon tarps, three different size, been very happy with them.

Campmor has very light, cheap blue tarps. 10x10 is around 4oz. Not the best quality, but very light. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27007

Quote Originally Posted by sserebrennikov78 View Post
    Campmor has very light, cheap blue tarps. 10x10 is around 4oz. Not the best quality, but very light. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27007
    Hmm, the one you link says it weighs 4lbs. It says 4oz fabric (whatever that specifically means) but twice on that page it mentions 4lbs.

Yeah, thats sorta heavy, got my TagBags..wow 2lbs seems heavy at this point! Got rid of one tarp and replaced it with a biodegradable plastic heavy dropcloth that was lighter than the one tarp that will work for breaking down my bull to pack out.

Quote Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
    Hmm, the one you link says it weighs 4lbs. It says 4oz fabric (whatever that specifically means) but twice on that page it mentions 4lbs.

Description online must be wrong. They are 4oz. Description in the store is 4oz as well. Call them to confirm. I have 2 of them. Tradeoff is quality. Theay are very thin. But I don't have any holes in mine so far. I'll weight them when I get home this weekend, and tell you exact weight.

Quote Originally Posted by elksnout View Post
    Yeah, thats sorta heavy, got my TagBags..wow 2lbs seems heavy at this point! Got rid of one tarp and replaced it with a biodegradable plastic heavy dropcloth that was lighter than the one tarp that will work for breaking down my bull to pack out.
    Interesting. I had thought about drop cloths but never heard of biodegradable plastic ones. Do you have any more info on them

Quote Originally Posted by sserebrennikov78 View Post
    Description online must be wrong. They are 4oz. Description in the store is 4oz as well. Call them to confirm. I have 2 of them. Tradeoff is quality. Theay are very thin. But I don't have any holes in mine so far. I'll weight them when I get home this weekend, and tell you exact weight.
    Yeah, dunno. Then again, you mentioned your's was 10x10 but I believe the one you linked was 10x12 so it could be a different product all together.

They are called ECODROP boi dregradable drop cloth, 2mil thick, 9ft X 12ft. Company name is Trimaco (www.trimaco.com) It is a lot heavier than normal dropcloth, so for one bull it should do the job? I picked these up at the local Lowe's.