Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Garden is all in.

  1. #1
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default Garden is all in.

    But for a few later radish, spinach & lettuce for 2nd crop.
    The garden is in
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default Garden scenery

    Some scenic garden pics yesterday evening
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Everything up but the carrots & beans.
    Peas , beets, turnips, radishes, spinach seeds popping thru.
    Zucs, brocc & lettuces starting to grow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Nice. Just got mine planted last week so I should be seeing sprouts soon. Trying kale this year, have some carrots and also attempting to grow zucchini in containers to keep from feeding the slugs :S

  5. #5
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Carrots finally made it.
    Green beans (contender) most all are up.
    Tried some "Igloo" green beans, seed didn't make it (covered with plastic & might have cooked them
    so I put in some more contender seeds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Getting lettuce & onions from the garden & cucs from the Greenhouse.
    Great salads
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Excellent! We've been enjoying our first salads over the past week. The bok choy is already huge and the lettuce and spinach are big enough for harvests as well.

  8. #8
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Garden growing pretty good.
    getting Zucs & brocc now
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Freezing & eating lots of broccoli
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Freezing & eating lots of broccoli
    care to tell us your secret in getting a broccoli head like that??? I've grown some nice looking broccoli, but NEVER a head like that one.. looking good...!

  11. #11
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Excellent! We've been enjoying our first salads over the past week. The bok choy is already huge and the lettuce and spinach are big enough for harvests as well.
    Brian,
    Do you use your Bok Choi primarily for salads, stir fry, or ???? I've spent a majority of my adult life in the Far East, and have undoubtedly eaten a lot of Bok choi, but as a red blooded, blue jacket, on shore leave, food wasn't always uppermost in my mind.. Now that I'm, old, retired, and interested in gardening, I'm attempting to broaden my horizons... So, I'd like to hear how you use the majority of your Bok Choi... Thanks..

  12. #12
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    care to tell us your secret in getting a broccoli head like that??? I've grown some nice looking broccoli, but NEVER a head like that one.. looking good...!

    TLC (Tender Loving Compost)

  13. #13
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Brian,
    Do you use your Bok Choi primarily for salads, stir fry, or ???? I've spent a majority of my adult life in the Far East, and have undoubtedly eaten a lot of Bok choi, but as a red blooded, blue jacket, on shore leave, food wasn't always uppermost in my mind.. Now that I'm, old, retired, and interested in gardening, I'm attempting to broaden my horizons... So, I'd like to hear how you use the majority of your Bok Choi... Thanks..
    The first year we grew it we sauteed most of it - either as a side dish mixed with a bit of garlic and peppers, or as an additive to stir-fry. Now we use most of it raw in salad, though these plants are so productive that it's hard to use all of it. A single leaf (mixed with a couple leaves from lettuce and spinach) will make more than enough salad, so we might need to start stir frying it again soon. It's excellent in salads, though.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default Beautiful plants

    You have one happy garden, just beautiful, the effort you put into your garden really shows. Awesome!

  15. #15
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    You have one happy garden, just beautiful, the effort you put into your garden really shows. Awesome!
    Thanks Mark
    I've got it to where it works well for my gardening style.
    Wood ashes between rows & raised beds to control the weeds .
    Watering this year has been the most work, every 3 days for some stuff.( this year, Like a GH, lots of watering)

    Mom never watered the garden much (WV & PA ) that I remember. ? ? wonder how that worked on dry years.

    I like the drier years though, warmer, more sun, & less weeds .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •