Thread: brownie death moan

Default brownie death moan

Am just curious...do brown bears do the death moan like the black bears do when bow shot?

My wife shot a big Brown Bear and its Death ROAR was enough to scare the crap outta my wife and make me get a bit concernd.....she even tried to hand me the rifle...~~LOL!!~~ I just told her "he's dying, give him a minute" and he did. 100 yards away and I think it literally shook us.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I've never heard a death moan from an arrow shot brownie, but I will tell you it was the cleanest quietest kill I've ever seen on one. The bear barely reacted....almost like he got stung by a bee or something. Then just swam back across a small stream, climbed up the bank, took a few steps....wobbled and fell over.....DONE...!!!

On the other hand, every brownie I've seen shot with a rifle, unless it was a head or NS shot, it was a crazy, roaring, twisting, turning, running, screaming, panic stricken frenzy....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I dropped a 8 and a half foot brown bear Monday in its tracks. Didn't even flinch.. But I was using my .338 lapua with 250 gr TSX at 114 yards..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I dropped a 8 and a half foot brown bear Monday in its tracks. Didn't even flinch.. But I was using my .338 lapua with 250 gr TSX at 114 yards..
    Where did you hit it?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've seen quite a few brown bears die with a few giving a final moan, some spinning/swiping towards the impact, some sprinting away and others collapsing upon impact. I've yet to see one take an arrow, but would expect that the reactions, given a large enough sample, would be similar considering their effect upon other game that I've witnessed.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Broadside shot, right thru both front shoulders, probably 1" higher than where I aimed, but he was slightly uphill., saw rob pound his on Tuesday and that was a perfect shot as well, bear never even acted like it was hit, bolted off and collapsed I'd say 30 yards max..,

Might have heard one death moan on a brown... Heard them roar when hit alot though. Prob only heard two or three blackies death moan. But they die really easy and often didn't have time for it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

brownies roar when hit quite a bit. never heard a death moan persay, like a guy hears about buffalo. and i'm with jake in that i've never heard a blackie moan. they criy and ***** alot when hit poorly (god i hate that!) but i think the death moan might be heard much more by guys that bow shoot them in quiet woods and are close when they expire.

Ive shot a few black bears double lung.. both bow and rifle and they ran off 20 yards or so and kinda moaned, roared.. 10-15 sec and lights out..