Thread: Question about Public Use Facilities

Default Question about Public Use Facilities

I hope this is the correct forum for this question:

I am going to visit your state for about 10 days next month in the Mat-Su area to plan on visiting various fishing sites and I have seen signs on public use facilities that state "no firearms".

Does that mean I can not protect myself and my family from bears and other predators with a gun ?

I am packing my 10mm Auto and 12ga slug gun so I need to know if I should go somewhere else ?

Do certain public use facilities over ride state law on firearms ??

What do you mean by "Public Use Facilities"? Can you give and example? I suggest you read Alaska State Law....

http://dps.alaska.gov/statewide/Perm...sing/inAK.aspx

Alaska Statutes Alaska Statutes 11.61.190 through 11.61.220 describe conduct with a weapon that is criminal. There is no prohibition against carrying a concealed weapon so long as the prohibited behaviors regarding the carry are respected:
    • The person is 21 years or older.
    • The person is eligible to own or possess a handgun under state and federal laws
    • The firearm is legal.
    • Upon contact with a peace officer, the person immediately informs the officer about the weapon, and allows the officer to secure the weapon for the duration of the contact.
    • The person does not carry the weapon if they are intoxicated or impaired by alcohol or controlled substances
    • The person does not carry the concealed weapon in certain places:
      • In someone else's home without their specific knowledge and permission
      • In any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for on-site consumption, except a restaurant and the person does not consume alcohol beverages
      • In or around any public or private K-12 school or on a school bus without the knowledge and consent of the school's administrator. (weapons may be unloaded and locked in the trunk of a car or secured in a locked container)
      • In or around a child care facility. (weapons may be unloaded and locked in the trunk of a car or secured in a locked container)
      • In a courthouse, court room, or office of the court system or justice related agencies
      • In domestic violence or sexual assault shelters.

Alaska's laws do not apply to federal property, offices, installations, or places under federal jurisdiction. Such places can include national parks, military bases, federal court buildings, space rented by federal offices, airports, or airport terminal areas. Please consult with the appropriate federal agency before deciding if weapon carry or concealed carry is permitted.The owners or management of facilities, including such places as hospitals, universities, gymnasiums, or private property, may restrict or deny concealed carry on their premises. Failure to comply while on their property could violate trespass statutes.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Yes I am very familiar with Alaska's state laws. I used to be a FFL dealer.

What I am asking about is a sign at the Little Susitna river crossing the Parks Highway.

There is a sign that says "Day Use Area Only" - No Camping No Fires No Alcohol No Firearms.

Does that mean that state park area does not allow firearms or does it mean that there is no shooting / hunting ???

A clarification would be helpful.
    Much thanks!

Iíd take it to mean nobody bothered to change that sign in the last 10 years. Itís Alaska, nobody other than tourists is going to gripe that your packing on the Little Su as long as your responsible and safe.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It means no target practice.

sent from my igloo

That makes a lot of sense since personal safety is up to each.

Thanks to all !

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    It means no target practice.

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by 4SallyPat View Post
    Does that mean that state park area does not allow firearms or does it mean that there is no shooting / hunting ???

A clarification would be helpful.
    Much thanks!
    Basically you can carry a firearm anywhere the State says you can. You just can't shoot anywhere anytime. Like in the city limits, campgrounds, etc.

There are regs for State Parks and recreation areas regarding how you can use them for target practice or hunting, etc. Example.... Chugach State Park

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/rules.htm

Guns and other weapons
    may be carried for self protection. Target practice is forbidden in the park. During legal hunting seasons (limited seasons, limited areas), discharge of weapons is not allowed within one half mile of any campground, picnic area, ski area or other facility, or any roadway in the park including the Seward Highway.
    11 AAC 20.010

11 AAC 20.010. Use of weapons

(a) Except as provided by (b) of this section, the use and discharge of a weapon for the purpose of lawful hunting or trapping is allowed in Chugach State Park, except within one-half mile of a developed facility or within one-half mile of the New Seward Highway between Mile 90 and Mile 115.
    (b) The use and discharge of a firearm is prohibited within the following drainages:
    (1) Eklutna River excluding the east fork of Eklutna River and Thunderbird Creek above Thunderbird Falls;
    (2) Eagle River and all tributary drainages downstream from the confluence of Icicle Creek and Eagle River located in Section 25, T13N, R1E, S.M.;
    (3) all forks of Campbell Creek;
    (4) Rabbit Creek;
    (5) McHugh Creek; and
    (6) Rainbow Creek.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thank you very much Snyd!

Makes a lot of sense.

Sort of like California - we are not allowed to carry concealed but then we are allowed to defend ourselves.

Makes a lot of sense in Alaska though.

Can't wait to visit your state - just 18 days to go !

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Basically you can carry a firearm anywhere the State says you can. You just can't shoot anywhere anytime. Like in the city limits, campgrounds, etc.

There are regs for State Parks and recreation areas regarding how you can use them for target practice or hunting, etc. Example.... Chugach State Park

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/rules.htm

Guns and other weapons
    may be carried for self protection. Target practice is forbidden in the park. During legal hunting seasons (limited seasons, limited areas), discharge of weapons is not allowed within one half mile of any campground, picnic area, ski area or other facility, or any roadway in the park including the Seward Highway.
    11 AAC 20.010

11 AAC 20.010. Use of weapons

(a) Except as provided by (b) of this section, the use and discharge of a weapon for the purpose of lawful hunting or trapping is allowed in Chugach State Park, except within one-half mile of a developed facility or within one-half mile of the New Seward Highway between Mile 90 and Mile 115.
    (b) The use and discharge of a firearm is prohibited within the following drainages:
    (1) Eklutna River excluding the east fork of Eklutna River and Thunderbird Creek above Thunderbird Falls;
    (2) Eagle River and all tributary drainages downstream from the confluence of Icicle Creek and Eagle River located in Section 25, T13N, R1E, S.M.;
    (3) all forks of Campbell Creek;
    (4) Rabbit Creek;
    (5) McHugh Creek; and
    (6) Rainbow Creek.