Thread: How do I catch the big ones?

Default How do I catch the big ones?

Been trying to catch rainbows in some of the local lakes. The trout seem to be cruising the shallows at the moment but all I can catch are smaller fish. I can't seem to catch anything over 10 inches and when I present a fly or jig or spinner it just spooks any of the big fish. So far I've tried wooly boogers, flouro colored kastmasters, and spinners all to no avail. How can I interest these big guys to bite?

Try trolling...always works for me

Research Cowbells..they always work!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

If you're close enough to see them, they can probably see you. Try standing off a little and casting past where you think they are, then retrieving back to them. Neither the splash of the cast nor your movements will make them nervous, and they're lots more likely to stick around and open their mouths.

All the bigger trout are spawning in the local lakes, thats why they are so shallow. The spawn is just about over, and they will start biting again.

big fish eat big things
    hook, line, sinker, done.

You are probably fishing mid day... go early or late if you want good fishing. Caught 7 rainbows 14 to 18 inches in a well fished local lake yesterday morning. The sun heated up after around 10 or 10 30 and the bite died. Investing in a little inflatable boat helps getting to the fish too.

Fishing spawners is a lesson in patience. Early and late is definitely best; even spawning fish will still eat a little bit. A low profile so they can't see you will help. The black wooly bugger or a dragonfly nymph are two of the best patterns to use over the big spawning trout. Sculpin patterns also do well; sometimes a muddler minnow on a sinking line and short leader, or with a splitshot a foot above it will be dynamite. Trick is fish slow. Drag them across the gravel so they're barely moving. Males will pick them up to defend the nest, hens will pick them up to move them out of the nest... not necessarily to eat, but the results the same. Remember, slow!

The bigger boys you seen cruising the shore are the brood stock Spawners. Most of them are hard catch. Best time to catch them are in the fall or first ice up. I caught a 33 incher in September 2 years ago its on the wall in sportsman warehouse and I also got one on the wall in my home! There's some very large charr in matuaska some monsters . Use fresh salmon roe or trolling gear in the deep waters. Just gotta watch those water temps. It can change it for weeks. Try fishing very early morning or late evening. I've know a lot about the lakes in Palmer and mat su areas!

All great advice. Think of spawning salmon when you fish these hogs. Early in the morning, late in the night is the best bite! Of course at a lot of the lakes I have been to lately, the spawning trout have been spooked, snagged etc. Which makes it difficult for a good catch. But since the trout are spawning, they still have to eat to keep their metabolism going! I had the best luck fishing them right before ice out.
    Here is one good sized bow I caught some weeks ago!
    0505131533.jpg
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau