Thread: Ruger SRH 454 Case sticking

Question Ruger SRH 454 Case sticking

Anyone else have problems with the 454 cases sticking in the chambers?

I have seen a couple posts on other forums, but I am looking for firsthand experiences with this problem. I called Ruger and they told me to try other ammo (yep...cheap MagTech for me). Any brand suggestions (Factory loadings only...no time for handloading)? Someone said use nickle cases??

Yes, I have thoroughly cleaned the chambers after shooting 45 Colt.
    Sending to Ruger will be the last resort.

I experienced the same thing with my 480, it stopped after I put a few hundred rounds through it. If you've already done that, ?????

Default 454 ruger alaskan

I have it in the 2.5" barrel.
    I shot 6 rounds of 280 casual ammo and no problem. I then loaded it with 6 340 buffalo bore ammo and the 6th round jumped crimp and got stuck. I was told that shooting " hot ammo " would/could cause this. I plan on loadind it with 2 types of ammo. First round will be the big 340 grain then 280 grain and so on.

I hope it works. Don't want to have a problem when in need, I guess being eaten with a empty gun is better than being eaten with a gun still loaded.

Let me know if you find a cure for this. Also what gun are you shooting??
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    I have it in the 2.5" barrel.
    I shot 6 rounds of 280 casual ammo and no problem. I then loaded it with 6 340 buffalo bore ammo and the 6th round jumped crimp and got stuck. I was told that shooting " hot ammo " would/could cause this. I plan on loadind it with 2 types of ammo. First round will be the big 340 grain then 280 grain and so on.

I hope it works. Don't want to have a problem when in need, I guess being eaten with a empty gun is better than being eaten with a gun still loaded.

Let me know if you find a cure for this. Also what gun are you shooting??
    Ruger Super Redhawk with 7.5 inch barrel. I have put about 100 rounds through it. Sticking has always been a problem. I use 260 or 300 grain softpoint MagTech ammo.
    This is not an acceptable problem...I want to be able to reload with one hand if the other is becoming a bears lunch.

The earlier production Ruger 454's were known for this and I wouldnt even try to hassle with it. Just call Ruger and ask them how you can ship it back to them for repairs. They will either polish the cylinder or replace it and problem will be solved.
    Tennessee

Default 2nd Hand Experience

My Dad had the 7.5 454 SRH for a time. He experienced intermittent problems with most factory loads, and with handloads that exceeded 45 lc pressures. It was troublesome enough that he traded the gun off after a few months.

For target shooting at the range it was a nuisance, in the field it could get you into trouble.

Another decent forum (if you haven't already located it) for Ruger info is www.rugerforum.com

Nate

Default Bad Ruger...

I have seen and heard of many of the Rugers, old and new, sticking cases when shooting 454 ammo at 454 pressures....all, have been with Mag Tech ammo.

I have had three of these guns brought to me to look over and when loaded extremely hot (that's the way the 454 is) with Starline brass, there was no sticking problem.

Maybe others have had sticking cases with other ammo but for me all I have personal knowledge of is with Mag Tech ammo.

Yes the chambers of the Ruger are rough, but this is really necessary to keep the brass from backing up and locking the cylinder at the rear. As for the bullet jump, in lighter guns it can be a problem. Recrimping factory ammo with a Redding profile crimp die or a Lee factory crimp die will help.

Of course Ruger will fix any problem but as I said, try good ammo.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The only time mine has had stuck brass was when i reloaded my own. They were a bit on the "hot" side and as soon as i lightened them up a bit they didnt stick anymore. This was with Starline Brass. I just got some MagTech's from the Sprtsmans Guide and fired off about 40 rds with no sticking.

Default no problems with mine..

Only had the gun for a month but it has had close to 300/400 rounds of both .45 and very hot .454 loads run through it..not the first problem! I clean it very well between sessions at the range. I love this gun! and it does stop the show when I shoot the hot rounds in it. I am still flinching a little bit, gonna try loading five cylinders with .45, one with a hot round, spinning the cylinder so I don't know when it is going to go ...someone suggested this to me ...maybe it will help!

Exclamation Better Ammo

Just bought some Winchester super-X 250gr flat-points....will try it out this weekend to see if things change.

Default 454 Casull cases sticking

From what I have researched, it is a matter of pressures that cause the sticking, not the particular cases. Magtec ammo is loaded pretty **** hot, as it Buffalo Bore. Speer has stated that their load data maxes out about 55,000psi, partly to prevent sticking cases. Rugers have been known to have somewhat rough chamber surfaces, but that diesn't necessarily cause sticking if the pressure are kept below max. It's good to remember that working with a 65,000psi max cartridge in a revolver is an extreme situation. I do love the 454 though.

Thumbs up Update

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Hillbilly View Post
    Just bought some Winchester super-X 250gr flat-points....will try it out this weekend to see if things change.
    The Winchester ammo didn't stick at all. Although you could tell it was not loaded nearly as hot as the Magtech. It was kinda like shooting full power loads then throwing in 45 colt loads. I would like to see the ballistic data on both the Magtech and Winchester loads.

In my experience, cases make a difference for 454 brass sticking.
    I have owned and shot half a dozen 454s using Freedom Arms, Hornady, Winchester and Starline brass...no magtech. Most of my 400 or 500 rounds of FA brass are early manufacture. When this FA brass is loaded hot with H110 and a 335 gr hard-cast bullet, I experience some difficulty with case extraction, one at a time, from a FA single action chamber. That resistance is multiplied by 5 or 6 chambers for the RSR extractor. Not good.
    I solved the problem by using starline nickel plated brass for bear loads (no sticking or corrosion in the field), and the other brass for practise loads using red dot, 4227 or 2400 behind 200 to 240 grain bullets. As the 55,000 CUP learning curve has progressed for 454 revolvers, I am certain that there have been differences in brass "stickiness" between manufacturers, and over time.

As I remember, shortly after Ruger introduced their 454 this was a common problem. One of the gun rags asked Ruger about it and they replied that it was due to the elasticity of the steel they used in the cylinders. When the cartridge goes off, not only the cartridge expands, but the chamber does as well, and then springs back to its original dimensions, thus "grabbing" the brass tightly. The higher the pressures, the more expansion at the chamber, the more it grabs the expanded case. If you're just playing at the range, push them out one at a time from the front. If you're in the field, probably won't be reloading your artillery in a hurry anyway.

What gunbugs said except that normally when you get to case sticking you are about at the point where the cylinder goes beyond its elasticity and either doesn't quite return to original size or ruptures. The 454 is loaded on the ragged edge of to hot for the Ruger IMO. I would certainly switch to ammo that doesn't stick or start reloading.

Smile same as Gunbugs...

I heard/read the same thing as "gunbugs" and got the same info from a couple of guys I know who owned them. It was enough to keep me from buying one. A load to hot for a Ruger hand gun? I bet Bill Ruger set up and said fix when he heard that one!

And I would note the chambers are very nice and smooth in all the 454 RHK's I've examined, probably in excess of 50 or so.

The Ruger is a strong gun but not as strong as the FA. The 454 operates at very high pressure and apparently some ammo is loaded to hot for the Ruger as they stick in the cyl. If they stick in the cyl, they are to high of pressure for that gun. Light sticking means the load is at the top for that gun. Heavy sticking means you are about to wear gun parts. It's your gun. Do as you wish. And BTW I saw a Ruger SBH with the top strap blown out of it. So as strong as they are even Rugers can be blown. And no, it wasn't the guns fault. To much bullseye. Cylinders will stretch a little to far shortly before they give up.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    And I would note the chambers are very nice and smooth in all the 454 RHK's I've examined, probably in excess of 50 or so.
    mine were a little rough, i had to have my gun smith smooth mine out... i was having 45LC cases stick. i bought my 454 SRH back in 99-00.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Default Sticking

I own a Freedom Arms .454 and was interested in shooting .45 colt out of it. I called the factory gunsmith about why I needed a seperate cylinder to shoot .45 Cot vs .454 ammo. He said that with shooting the shorter cased .45 round I would get cylinder wear (micro grooves) where the brass on the longer cased .454 round normally rests. This could lead to sticking cases. Also shooting .45 Colt could lead up the cylinder slightly and if not thoroughly cleaned before shooting .454 rounds could lead to excess pressure.

Don't know if you have been shooting .45 Colt or not. But the symptoms you describe are what the gunsmith and I talked about.

Regards