Thread: Winner Creek Trail

Default Winner Creek Trail

Can anyone tell me the condition of winner creek trail and where the trail head is? I was looking to head out Sunday for a good day hike and have never been on this trail. Thanks!
    -Matt

The trailhead is just to the left of the tram terminal next to the Alyeska Prince Hotel. There is another access point from Crow Creek Road, but that requires crossing the creek in the hand tram.

I haven't been out to the winner creek trail this year but I've been out there a lot in the past. It usually stays muddy for a little while after break up. I bet it's mostly dry considering the heat we're having but I wouldn't be surprised to find a few soggy parts. The trail entrance Brian is talking about is 10-15 minutes up Crow Creek road, the pavement ends and it's usually full of potholes. You can jump on the trail at a parking lot on the right just past the mine turnoff. There is also a pull out another mile or so down the road which is just a section of the same trail that's closer to the hand tram.

Happy trails!
    -Paul

Going in from the Hotel as of yesterday it is clear for about a mile then becomes nearly completely covered in snow. Didn't go too far in after the snow. California creek trail is clear up to treeline though.

I personally like to hike to the hand tram from the crow creek side. The hand tram is a blast when they have it working.
    Last year it was closed when we got there.
    Fortunately we had a good day at Crow Creek mine with the gold digging and a nice dinner at the Double Musky.
    Definetly a recommended hike.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I personally like to hike to the hand tram from the crow creek side. The hand tram is a blast when they have it working.
    Last year it was closed when we got there.
    Fortunately we had a good day at Crow Creek mine with the gold digging and a nice dinner at the Double Musky.
    Definetly a recommended hike.

The Handtram is still closed for the season, Girdwood Trails Committee was replacing the cart and it was going to be in by June 1st but it is still closed to date. Check with the Glacier Ranger District if you are planning a trip out they could tell you when it is open.

Anybody been up lately to see if the tram is in for the year?