Thread: The load I have settled on for .375......would like opinions.

Default The load I have settled on for .375......would like opinions.

So if you read the handloading forums you may have seen that I have posted a few times about .375 H&H. I have a very accurate load...but I question it's velocity. It is a minimum load out of a manual with the powder I used but it shot 3/4" groups for me. So I haven't changed. It is 72gr of W748 with a 270gr tsx and out of my 22" model 70 it fired 2560 +/- 10 fps consistently. I read that with that powder at the max load it should go around 2800 fps. Should I stick with the load because of its good grouping, or try and get faster? What do you feel that bullet at that speed is capable of?
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    So if you read the handloading forums you may have seen that I have posted a few times about .375 H&H. I have a very accurate load...but I question it's velocity. It is a minimum load out of a manual with the powder I used but it shot 3/4" groups for me. So I haven't changed. It is 72gr of W748 with a 270gr tsx and out of my 22" model 70 it fired 2560 +/- 10 fps consistently. I read that with that powder at the max load it should go around 2800 fps. Should I stick with the load because of its good grouping, or try and get faster? What do you feel that bullet at that speed is capable of?
    I highly doubt you will ever see 2800fps with your 22" barrel, but I may be wrong.
    I personally go with accuracy every single time!

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I highly doubt you will ever see 2800fps with your 22" barrel, but I may be wrong.
    I personally go with accuracy every single time!
    I think your right about not seeing 2800. but maybe 2700 fps...I do like the accuracy. I plan on going with the round I guess I just...wish it was faster...but don't we all?

I guess you have to ask yourself, how accurate does it really need to be.
    Anything you'll hunt with a .375 I'm sure a 2" group would be more then adequate.
    Bump it up a little and see how far she falls off.

I guess you have to ask yourself, how accurate does it really need to be.
    Anything you'll hunt with a .375 I'm sure a 2" group would be more then adequate.
    Bump it up a little and see how far she falls off.
    might just be my OCD but I just can't leave the range without achieving 1" groups...i get upset if I run out before it happens lol

I'm the same way.
    I have a .375 that I can't get to shoot under 1.5". I hate that. I'm sure some of my accuracy is issues are from the 5x scope I use. But I really want it to shoot better.

I'm the same way.
    I have a .375 that I can't get to shoot under 1.5". I hate that. I'm sure some of my accuracy is issues are from the 5x scope I use. But I really want it to shoot better.
    I use a 2-7 with QD rings and have the iron sights set dead on at 50 with the load I mentioned above. obviously if I change the load I will re sight the irons. But I like the 2-7 a lot.

Hey there, I'd continue to develop that load. If you continue to venture upward in half grain increments, you could get at least another 100 fps, and still get good accuracy somewhere in the mix.

Might as well continue working up to the potential the cartridge is designed to achieve.

You're really not very far from what an original .375 loaded with cordite would have produced in a mild climate.

If you're happy with the accuracy and trajectory such a load provides I'd say you're good to go for anything this continent offers. You can go up but the gains may be marginal in the field.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

rather have a slow hit than a fast miss..... Stick with the accuracy, learn the trajectory, I doubt to 300 you'll notice a difference. PLUS, that's froma bench, now add field conditions, wind, angle, distance, etc,, the accuracy is what gets animals.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Hey there, I'd continue to develop that load. If you continue to venture upward in half grain increments, you could get at least another 100 fps, and still get good accuracy somewhere in the mix.

Might as well continue working up to the potential the cartridge is designed to achieve.
    I agree w/mariner. If you can bump up the speed and keep the accuracy you want then it's all good. If it doesn't work out you will always have the load that you know works well.

You've found a very good load, but another 150-200 fps would be nice, if the accuracy is there. Mainer is spot on-- keep moving up a half grain at a time until you reach pressure signs, then back off a half grain and try different seating depths. You may hit another accuracy node right at max (the best of all worlds!)

I think ill load them higher .5 grain at a time til i get signs n test. no reason not to.

I guess I just...wish it was faster...but don't we all?
    Nope. Am not obsessed with velocity myself. As several others have said, accuracy is what matters most.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I think ill load them higher .5 grain at a time til i get signs n test. no reason not to.
    nope, no reason not too. If you're going to tote around a fairly heavy rifle, make it a heavy rifle that put's it's full potential of killing power into an animal. That's what load development is all about. Me personally, I'd take 1.5" groups at 2700 fps over 3/4" groups at 2500 fps any day of the week. Give that 3/4" load a 15 mph wind during hunting season, and she'll soon become a 1.5" grouping rifle.

Mainer,
    Using your same logic, that 1.5" group just became a 3" group. Not trying to start an argument, whatever you're comforable with.

There's nothing saying that the charge that takes that bullet to 2700 fps won't be more accurate. though with big bullets shooting under 3/4" has all the holes touching. I had 2 touching and 1 just shy.