Thread: 74 days till sheep opener woohoo!!

Default 74 days till sheep opener woohoo!!

Man it sure does come quick!Hopefully me and Lujon are sitting on a bruiser August 9th at 11:59 pm waiting to take a shot! Can't wait to get into some sheep country.Not much for new gear for me this season finally! Now to decide what gun to take?Get my new .270 to shoot or take one of my .300rums out for another ride! Decisions,decisions

Good luck to my fellow sheep nuts,wishing you all heavy packs and full curls!

I look forward to a play by play of your hunt in 75 days. I'm sure it'll be great as usual!

AZinAK

How'd your last mount end up turning out? Get it fixed by that guy who offered to do it for free? Don't recall seeing a finished product, coulda missed it.

Good luck out there! Let LuJon shoot first, so we all don't have to listen to him whine anymore! J/K Jon!

The two fugly mounts are getting fixed bye Artistic Wildlife Taxidermy.He has one redone from my cape from last year and I'm waiting on a cape hopefully from this season two finish it.It's gonna be a killer mount,3 rams on a floor pedestal hanging on a rock base.Cant wait to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    The two fugly mounts are getting fixed bye Artistic Wildlife Taxidermy.He has one redone from my cape from last year and I'm waiting on a cape hopefully from this season two finish it.It's gonna be a killer mount,3 rams on a floor pedestal hanging on a rock base.Cant wait to pick it up.

Sweet! Glad it's all working out! But if you use this years cape, one you still be a set of horns ahead?

Sir, you best get Jon on a ram. I've been waiting to read of his successful sheep hunt for years! Anything else would be gravy.

Looking forward to our season as well. My wife told me yesterday that she hopes to get a ram before she is 40. We've got four seasons to get that done, but I sure hope for her to be on ram number three or four by then!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Man it sure does come quick!Hopefully me and Lujon are sitting on a bruiser August 9th at 11:59 pm waiting to take a shot! Can't wait to get into some sheep country.Not much for new gear for me this season finally! Now to decide what gun to take?Get my new .270 to shoot or take one of my .300rums out for another ride! Decisions,decisions

Good luck to my fellow sheep nuts,wishing you all heavy packs and full curls!

We need to spend some time at the bench figuring out a load for that RUM here pretty soon. I need to work up something for the 280AI and my 325WSM and get them both out to the range as well.

As far as me shooting a ram I'm not whining or really even worried about it. I have been fortunate to be in the field and have enjoyed all of my unsuccessful hunts.... I do feel like I have put my time in and will hopefully earn a ram this year. I definitely have the time set aside to devote to it this fall. In reality I have only truly done a couple "real" sheep hunts. A disaster trip in the Chugach solo in 2008, spent 2009 in kodiak getting a goat, 2010 in Iraq eating a DCUA tag, 2011 in the brooks getting C04Hoosier his first well deserved ram, 2012 I only made two 3 day trips because I was busy getting the family/house ready for me to head to Afghanistan. I did get much closer than anyone should with so little time invested and I am hopeful that we can get the kid on one in the same area this year.

It promises to be a good time this year in the Brooks and hopefully we will be able to tack on a late sheep hunt for the kid to cap off the year.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    We need to spend some time at the bench figuring out a load for that RUM here pretty soon. I need to work up something for the 280AI and my 325WSM and get them both out to the range as well.

As far as me shooting a ram I'm not whining or really even worried about it. I have been fortunate to be in the field and have enjoyed all of my unsuccessful hunts.... I do feel like I have put my time in and will hopefully earn a ram this year. I definitely have the time set aside to devote to it this fall. In reality I have only truly done a couple "real" sheep hunts. A disaster trip in the Chugach solo in 2008, spent 2009 in kodiak getting a goat, 2010 in Iraq eating a DCUA tag, 2011 in the brooks getting C04Hoosier his first well deserved ram, 2012 I only made two 3 day trips because I was busy getting the family/house ready for me to head to Afghanistan. I did get much closer than anyone should with so little time invested and I am hopeful that we can get the kid on one in the same area this year.

It promises to be a good time this year in the Brooks and hopefully we will be able to tack on a late sheep hunt for the kid to cap off the year.
    I thought the next legal season you are allowed to use your previous draw tag if you shipped over seas, oh but is that only for military?? Yup the adventure is fun part, catching a legal critter is a bonus, and a lot of work! We sure are gluttons for punishment!! Get that skull measured yet?!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    2010 in Iraq eating a DCUA tag,
    On Monday a buddy and I were sitting at a rest area up around Moose Pass glassing a hillside for blackies and a gal pulls up alongside and gets out to walk her pointer. On the way back to her car she asked what we were spotting for? We talked for a bit and she said her boyfriend was out of Whittier on a bear hunt as we spoke. She then went on to say that last year he was in Afghanistan and missed out on his sheep tag. BUT, and to my surprise, she said the F&G had gone ahead and reissued it to him for this year. Was great to hear that. So, I take it then that the F&G has changed their policy recently?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I think Jon may have been private contractor in 2010 (not sure), but the reissuing of draw tags to active service military who missed out on those hunts is not applicable to private contractors.

Below is the skinny on ADFG regs on reissuing permits to those deployed in combat zones. I should also note that this all began when Bush extended deployment of the Stryker Brigade in Iraq after their 12 months were up, and some who had drawn sheep and other tags and were sooo looking fwd to hunting them upon their return lost out. Our org was pretty vocal on getting those guys their tags back, and so were others, and it led to the system we now have in place.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...litary_permits

Title 5. Fish and Game Part 3. Game
    Chapter 92. Statewide Provisions
    Article 3. Permits
    5 AAC 92.050. Required permit hunt conditions and procedures

(6) the commissioner may reissue or transfer a permit as follows:

1. a permit may be transferred for scientific purposes;
    2. a person that is on active duty in a branch of the military under United States Department of Defense deployment orders to a combat zone designated by executive order issued by the President of the United States and that has been issued a
      1. drawing permit, and is prevented from using the drawing permit due to being out of the state on active duty, may be reissued the same drawing permit when the person returns to this state from active duty under this subparagraph, under procedures set out in the applicable permit hunt supplement;
      2. Tier II permit may transfer that Tier II permit only during the same regulatory year to a substitute resident hunter while the person is out of the state on active duty under this subparagraph, under procedures set out in the applicable permit hunt supplement;

Counting the days myself. Flying out August 14th.

Cannot wait, I am headed up north for my first dall sheep hunt. Looking forward to being in the wilds of Alaska and hopefully finding that dream ram.

I thought Jon was the Sheep thermacell.......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I wish everybody great success and a safe hunting season.

Will be sitting out '13 (like I did' 12) ..this Army thing sure interferes with hunting

I feel a little like Tanner on the Bad News Bears though..reading about everyone getting ready

Best of luck...and just wait till next year!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=xSQxt...%3DxSQxtMWJzGQ

Looking forward to this season in the Brooks Range.

Brother and I have labeled it--Hell To Pay 2013!

Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.