Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about this one

Default How about this one

Been looking at this boat, the only problem is the guy will no put it in the water and says it runs really good it's just not worth his time to go put it in the water. He also is telling me that it does need some work and for a couple grand a guy could make a real nice boat out of it! Just not sure what to think, anyone ever buy a boat you haven't at lest seen go in the water?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bod/3812549722.html

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    Been looking at this boat, the only problem is the guy will no put it in the water and says it runs really good it's just not worth his time to go put it in the water. He also is telling me that it does need some work and for a couple grand a guy could make a real nice boat out of it! Just not sure what to think, anyone ever buy a boat you haven't at lest seen go in the water?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bod/3812549722.html
    If you are looking for a boat to take on the salt.....keep looking.

Salt would only be about 5% of its use if that starting to think maybe better off going smaller so I can go into the smaller rivers

IMHO, If I couldn't test run a boat in water, I wouldn't buy it.

Boat=Bust out another thousand. Why start out in the hole? IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    IMHO, If I couldn't test run a boat in water, I wouldn't buy it.
    I second that.....there's no reason that you wouldn't give a buyer a test run unless you had something to hide.

Thats a old boat....but Almar built a excellent hull.....price aint bad if it works........seems goofy the seller wont water test it, must figure its cheap enough he wont have to.......probably right....
    90% river boat IMO.......many people have done some amazing things with this type of boat in the ocean......some are still around to talk about it........I have run my 20 foot boat in K-bay every year (prop leg) and every year I say this is the last time......shallow V boats dont like big water.

I have gotten caught in 5-6 footers and its not much fun...........its real easy to do. The day starts out nice, you zip out 15 miles at 25 MPH, takes 45 minutes.......fish all day w/o a bite, the bite comes on, the breeze stiffens up, but hey, they just started biting.....next thing ya know its too late to get outta dodge fast....and now its a white knuckle ride back at 6-7 MPH......all the time swearing............
    " I am not going to do this again"......
    ha, how soon we forget........pick out a boat that will work for the majority of what you plan to use it for.....

Plenty of guys on here that no a lot more about the hammie 3 stage and ford 351 than me, the ford is a good motor, but will most likely cost you more than a GM when its time for a rebuild..........but there may be plenty of life left, ask the seller if you could do a compression test.....at least he will know you are serious.....and its a good indication if the motor is decent.....while you are doing that in his yard,,,,you get chatty and next thing ya know....you are going for a boat ride........if that dont happen......he is hiding something IMO.......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Why dont you take it out without the guy put a down payment on it or somthing its been on craigslist for more than a year maybe hel go for that . Or tell him youll only give him this much for it if its not important enough for him to let you test old boats with good motor might not be pretty bit they still go the same places the new ones will

...the guy will no put it in the water and says it runs really good it's just not worth his time to go put it in the water....
    Guy doesn't have time or want to go to the trouble to put it on the water, he doesn't want to sell it very badly. Would you buy a used project car without driving it?

Move on and don't look back.

If he's not interested in allowing a water test - he's hiding something,. Plus if this is the boat I think it is (in Eagle River) then it's a project boat and just had the jet reinstalled from last summer. No telling what else it needs.

As mentioned its a good hull, but even good hulls can have the crap beaten out of them over time. I'd keep looking unless your in love with it.
    Tony

Do not buy a project boat if you want to go boating, only buy a project boat if you want a project to work on. 99+% of the time a project boat will cost you more by the time you get it working than it would to by a boat in good condition. Look for a used well outfitted boat that is in great shape and the owner took pride in it. While the purchase price will be a bit more than the great deal boat, in the short and definately long term you'll have saved alot of money in extras, neglected maintenance and spares.

When you factor in the value of your time, and the value of lost oportunities, i.e. working on a boat vs. fishing, then project boats are much, much more expensive.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Do not buy a project boat if you want to go boating, only buy a project boat if you want a project to work on. 99+% of the time a project boat will cost you more by the time you get it working than it would to by a boat in good condition. Look for a used well outfitted boat that is in great shape and the owner took pride in it. While the purchase price will be a bit more than the great deal boat, in the short and definately long term you'll have saved alot of money in extras, neglected maintenance and spares.

When you factor in the value of your time, and the value of lost oportunities, i.e. working on a boat vs. fishing, then project boats are much, much more expensive.
    This is spot on advice, while the "buy in" on a boat may seem affordable at the time, in the long run Paul has hit the nail on the head......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks guys, I think i will walk away from this one just to much to do and spring is here last thing I want to do is spend all summer in a shop working on a boat, could be a very nice set up but thinking not for me. But since I know squat about alum boats what do you all think of this one?
    http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...board_Jet.html

Default Budget

I think the we need to know your budget.

We sort of know that you want to do an occasional trip in big water and do rivers but (I'm) not sure you are in the right price range for what you describe as what you want out of a boat.

Having said that you can do salt water in a 6k boat but it will be a different boat and motor combo.

If you are thinking enough aluminum jet boat for salt and rivers its probably not going to happen in the 6k range from a buy and go stand point.

Nope gave up on big water, don't want to spend all my te thinking about weather! Just want to run rivers for now. Yep 6k is about all I want to put into a boat right now kids getting big and don't want to wait around anymore waiting to get to "airplane money" so a good cheap river boat looks like what we are looking for.

Nope gave up on big water, don't want to spend all my te thinking about weather! Just want to run rivers for now. Yep 6k is about all I want to put into a boat right now kids getting big and don't want to wait around anymore waiting to get to "airplane money" so a good cheap river boat looks like what we are looking for.
    Now you just need to decide what rivers you want to run! If your going to stay up north then that huge 2 stroke motor with a jet isnt necessarily a bad choice. If you plan on ever fishing the Kenai you need to re-evaluate. A 4 stroke is always nice too because it cuts down on the noise but then the price goes up as well. I personally went with a 4 stroke because I hate the noise and smoke from the 2 stroke. The extra money for the motor was worth not mixing oil and dealing with the extra junk.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Insist on putting it in the water or simply walk away...............Buy with your head, not your heart.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I bought my boat without putting it in the water. The guy had underpriced it by $3-4,000 and it only had 180 hours on it. Trailer had a flat tire and he said that he had been getting a lot of calls and had not had time to install the battery and fix the tire as the boat had been sitting for a couple years. I helped him get the battery in, started it up and offered him $1,000 less as is. One of the best deals I've made.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

The dude is down to 5000 you cant go wrong that boat looks bad ass old inboards last forever

"...its real easy to do. The day starts out nice, you zip out 15 miles at 25 MPH, takes 45 minutes.......fish all day w/o a bite, the bite comes on, the breeze stiffens up, but hey, they just started biting.....next thing ya know its too late to get outta dodge fast....and now its a white knuckle ride back at 6-7 MPH......all the time swearing............
    " I am not going to do this again"......"

Ha ha! So I'm not the only one who thinks that way! The only thing you didn't mention was trying to pull up the anchor when the tide is flowing fast and furious and the bow is going up and down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast