Thread: Your Optics- total weight

Default Your Optics- total weight

How much do your optics weigh? It seems to me that if you carry all these items on a sheep hunt you can't be much under 5 lbs.

Spotter
    Tripod
    Binos
    Rangefinder

Mine-
    Spotter- 45 ozs (sold my burris spotter) looking at a Pentax pf65EDA
    Tripod- 26 ozs
    Binos- 25 ozs Pentax 10x43 DCF SP
    Rangefinder- none yet

That's 96 ozs. 6 lbs. I'm looking for a decent pair of 10x25 binos which come in around 7-10 ozs. That would put me at 5lbs for optics not counting a range finder which will add another 7 or 8 ozs.

Default Optics weight

Yeah, the sheephunter's dilemna. Used a B&L Elite 15-45 for 13 years...weighed 30 ounces. Thought that is all I needed until I sprung for the Swarovski AT65. It is in a class of optics above and beyond the B&L but at about twice the weight, 49 oz. Easier to count age rings at long distance. I will gladly carry it for the weight penalty when hunting with a partner, or with a client. Also, cheap, lightweight tripods are miserable. I am still carrying a 22 ounce Velbon, but is worth it's weight for stability and ease of use.

Binoculars: Love my pentax 8X42's. Tried some 8X22 steiner on a couple of goat hunts that only weight 9 oz. or so...but I like my 8X42 so much better that I think I will carry the 14 oz. weight penalty on a sheep hunt as well, especially if I would be guiding a client. I guess the way you use your bino's makes a difference as well. Seems like for sheep hunting, all I do with my binos is locate white dots at a distance, then swap them for the scope to make the final determination of what it is (rock, snow, sheep), sex, and then size. Also, in the final phaze of the stalk if reqired to identify the legal, or largest if in a group of rams, or goats.

On a hunt with a partner, that is a friend instead of a client, we share one pair of decent binoculars only.

On a solo hunt, I would carry the light binos and the light scope, and save over 2 lbs. per step. Very important for aging knees, lol. Plus, making the age ring count, or trying to sex a sheep at 5 miles is not as critical of a call when by myself. I will pass up a shot at a less than full curl ram if I have to count age rings, unless it is one of those to the jawline drops on the curls, and I will get 1.5 miles closer when by myself. Thus, the improved optical quality for the weight is not worth it on a solo hunt.

I have a leica rangefinder, 12oz.,that I debate whether or not is worth carrying. I think my new philosophy for sheep hunting is that it is "shared" gear on a buddy hunt with a partner (he carries the bino's and me the rangefinder) or mandatory gear when with a client. Solo, or with my dad, it is an optional luxury item.

Total optics weight solo: 61 oz. (3.8 lbs)
    scope 30
    tripod 22
    binos 9

Total optics weight buddy, or guiding: 107 oz (ouch!) 6.75 lbs
    scope 49
    tripod 22
    binos 24 (shared)
    rangefinder 12 (shared)

I am hoping that Optics companies will start offering "Helium-Filled versions for us ounce counting lunatics! LOL

BTW- Saw Daveintheburbs humping a heavy pack with trekking poles and clunking along in his Koflachs up Eagle River road on Sunday. He's hard core. ;-)

Have fun, and good luck!

-Chris

I am with you guys. I had to sell some optics in the process of buying my new home but have since replaced them with some fairly lightweight optics. Nikon Monarch 10x42 Binos, B&L Elite 15-45x60, and a nikon tripod, and a Leica CRF 1200. Total weight for everything is less than 5lbs. But I do miss my Leica Televid 62 Spotter and would gladly have it back as well as the few ounces more it weighed!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I am with you guys. I had to sell some optics in the process of buying my new home but have since replaced them with some fairly lightweight optics. Nikon Monarch 10x42 Binos, B&L Elite 15-45x60, and a nikon tripod, and a Leica CRF 1200. Total weight for everything is less than 5lbs. But I do miss my Leica Televid 62 Spotter and would gladly have it back as well as the few ounces more it weighed!
    Boy, I wish I had known you were selling the Televid. Oh well. I'll be getting a new Pentax PF65EDA II with the 8.5 and 12mm XF fixed power eyepieces this summer. That scope along with some Zeiss 10x25's should be good setup. Should come in at 55 ozs total. Worst case scenario is I skip the 10x25's this year and pack my 10x43 DCF SP Pentaxes at 25ozs.

Did you get moved in yet Cub?? I'm getting the itch to head to the range to shoot the 325 with the Magnaported barrel.

Yeah it was a sad day packaging that Televid up and shipping it to its new owner. But I'll get another one of these days(at least thats what I'm telling myself).

Not moved in yet, close next week on Tues, get keys Wed and then the moving starts. Just got back from chasing griz for a week, no dice though saw 8 of em. The bear baits rocking and rolling I just cant seem to find time to sit it. Looks like I'll get a shot on Friday night, working today and tomorrow and our anniversary is on Sat (you know how that goes). Its been hard to find time to breathe here lately. Will give you a call. After all we only have 12 weeks!