Thread: Repowering 20' Bayrunner

Default Repowering 20' Bayrunner

I currently have 2 35hp 2 strokes on my 20' Bayrunner, I would like to repower to a 4 stroke. Does a 50 4 stroke provide enough power for the Inlet or river?

I have a Koffler Bay Bee 20 footer, which is similar to the Bayrunner. It has a single Yamaha 50 hp, and it's plenty of power for the hull. It works well in the river and in the salt. 50 will do just fine...

Also I think Yamaha & Honda (maybe others) make high thrust motors in the 50 hp range that spin a bigger prop.

I have a standard Yamaha F50 on my 20' Hewescraft Open Fisherman. It's probably close to the weight of your Bayrunner, and maybe a little heavier. With 5 adults aboard it easily makes 25mph, but tops out at 29mph when I'm by myself. There have been times when everyone around me is faster and I feel like a little more HP would be nice, but then I go to fill the tank. That motor just sips fuel. We can run and fish all day on less than 6 gallons. If our boats are similar enough for comparison, that site I linked has #'s for a 90HP to give you an idea what more HP would do for your speed and consumption.

I found a good used Honda 50, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the information

I rented a 20' bayrunner with a honda 50 several years back and it seemed like a good setup for the three of us on a day trip in PWS. If you'll be carrying more people or gear, then more power has it's place, but I think you'll find the honda 50 on that boat a pretty good combo. It was running at around 21-22 knots wot as I recall.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

What size of E-Tec can you run on the Kenai?

Those 50 hp yamaha high thrust motors flat out scream. I just purchased a new boat with one on it and I am really excited to see what it is capable of. My buddies jon boat is scary fast with the same motor on it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    What size of E-Tec can you run on the Kenai?
    50 HP E-tec is Kenai legal. Here is a good video comparing the E-tec vs Yamaha outboards.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"