Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Tek engines

Default E-Tek engines

Does anyone know if a 2009 25 H.P. E-Tek outboard is O.K. for use in lakes and rivers in Alaska? I can't find the list of approved outboards but it sounds like DFI engines are O.K. Thanks Scott

Where are you looking to fish?
    Many rivers and lakes have no restrictions whatsoever.
    Some such as the Kenai restrict you to 4 stroke or DFI and a max of 50 hp.
    Other waterways do not allow motor boats at all.
    So that motor would be Kenai legal but would not be allowed on say Johnson Lake in Kasilof.
    So without knowing the exact waterway there is no way to answer your question other than to say it is Kenai river legal and legal on all waterways without restrictions.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Kenai is really the most restricted. 50hp 4 stroke and 35 DFI two stroke. Kasilof no motor. Most lakes and valley streams are unrestricted but there are a few. That E-tec should be legal just about everywhere.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Kenai is really the most restricted. 50hp 4 stroke and 35 DFI two stroke. Kasilof no motor. Most lakes and valley streams are unrestricted but there are a few. That E-tec should be legal just about everywhere.
    So if the Kasilof allows no motor, wouldn't it be more restricted than the Kenai?
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Yes and no. The kenai is the most restricted river that allows powerboat useage. The kasilof is completely closed to powerboat use. Tomatoes tomatos. Either way the etec is a great choice and would do great in the ocean as well. You may want to check max HP for specific lakes before heading out as I do know some carry a max like the Kenai. With that said, any lake with launching abilities for that large of a boat and motor combo will most likely not fall under any restricitions. Do keep in mind there are not but a handful of rivers in Southcentral AK that are deep and large enough (with launching facilities). Same goes for lakes, there are plenty of them but you can't just back up a 14 or 16 foot boat with a 100+ lb motor to most places. I'd strongly advise getting more familiar with waterways in the area you plan on being in before making that kind of financial decision. Especially if you are new to Alaska. Good luck and wear a lifejacket wherever you may go.

Default Kasilof River....not completely closed

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Yes and no. The kenai is the most restricted river that allows powerboat useage. The kasilof is completely closed to powerboat use. Tomatoes tomatos. Either way the etec is a great choice and would do great in the ocean as well. You may want to check max HP for specific lakes before heading out as I do know some carry a max like the Kenai. With that said, any lake with launching abilities for that large of a boat and motor combo will most likely not fall under any restricitions. Do keep in mind there are not but a handful of rivers in Southcentral AK that are deep and large enough (with launching facilities). Same goes for lakes, there are plenty of them but you can't just back up a 14 or 16 foot boat with a 100+ lb motor to most places. I'd strongly advise getting more familiar with waterways in the area you plan on being in before making that kind of financial decision. Especially if you are new to Alaska. Good luck and wear a lifejacket wherever you may go.

Quote from fishing reg book....
    "Sport fishing from a motorized boat is not allowed January 1–July 31. Motors 10 hp or
    less may be used only downstream of Trujillo’s Landing, and only after fishing from the boat has stopped for the day"

I guess I have to retract my statement about the Kenai as well. This years regs read 4 stroke or direct FUEL injection only. The ETEC has an oil injection system so that would no qualify for Kenai use.

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff64 View Post

Quote from fishing reg book....
    "Sport fishing from a motorized boat is not allowed January 1–July 31. Motors 10 hp or
    less may be used only downstream of Trujillo’s Landing, and only after fishing from the boat has stopped for the day"
    Thanks for clarifying that.I was going to do so myself if you hadn't. The motor restriction on the Kasilof specifically reffers to fishing as per Akjeff64's post.
    Now I wouldn't recommend using a power boat on that river most of the year downstream of slackwater though. I do know a couple of guys who used to run the river in a powerboat on a regular basis one as a hunting guide and one as a transporter but they are retired and havent run it in years. You will also see ADF&G's fish tracking boat running the river especially the upper river.

I guess I have to retract my statement about the Kenai as well. This years regs read 4 stroke or direct FUEL injection only. The ETEC has an oil injection system so that would no qualify for Kenai use.
    The ETEC has a Direct Fuel Injection system.... The oil system has no bearing on being legal or not. You can use a 50hp ETEC on the Kenai with no problems, same as a 50hp 4-stroke. If you have any questions, call a Park Ranger

Do your homework people please before posting. No offense intended but here is another mistatement.
    The Evinrude ETEC (owned by Bombardier) is a Direct fuel injected engine and has been since its inception. It is 100% Kenai river legal so long as it is under 50hp.
    http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/tools/faq/ETEC

Also the HP restriction on the Kenai is 50 hp or less 4 stroke or DFI engine. The 2 stroke DFI engine can be up to 50 hp as well.
    I am not trying to be rude but we should try and post factual information as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    The ETEC has a Direct Fuel Injection system.... The oil system has no bearing on being legal or not. You can use a 50hp ETEC on the Kenai with no problems, same as a 50hp 4-stroke. If you have any questions, call a Park Ranger
    I guess I mis-understood how these motors work. I looked into them this last winter but I guess I don't fully grasp how they operate. Im know they operate differently than a lot of oil injection motors but didn't know they were a direct fuel injection system as well.

Simple...Fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber right before ignition. Ensures a more complete combustion and fuel is not pushed out with the exhaust into the water on the compression/exhaust portion of the stroke like a standard fuel injected or carbureted 2 stroke. The oil must be pressure fed to the lower end since mixed fuel is not circulating. Another one I have heard is that carbureted 4 strokes 50hp or less are not allowed. Carbureted or fuel injected, a 4 stroke is a 4 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Esh View Post
    Simple...Fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber right before ignition. Ensures a more complete combustion and fuel is not pushed out with the exhaust into the water on the compression/exhaust portion of the stroke like a standard fuel injected or carbureted 2 stroke. The oil must be pressure fed to the lower end since mixed fuel is not circulating. Another one I have heard is that carbureted 4 strokes 50hp or less are not allowed. Carbureted or fuel injected, a 4 stroke is a 4 stroke.
    4 strokes 50hp or less are OK! Please check your facts before posting erroneous information.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    4 strokes 50hp or less are OK! Please check your facts before posting erroneous information.
    That's is exactly what I just said. Read my post before posting erroneous information. I said that I had heard people SAY that.

I'm going to be in Coopers Landing for about three weeks. I thought there may be a lake or two I could maybe use the boat in. It's only a 15 foot boat with a 25 H.P. E Tec. It's not a big deal if I can't use it I thought it would be another option.

Quote Originally Posted by akk13 View Post
    I'm going to be in Coopers Landing for about three weeks. I thought there may be a lake or two I could maybe use the boat in. It's only a 15 foot boat with a 25 H.P. E Tec. It's not a big deal if I can't use it I thought it would be another option.
    You should be fine on the lakes in that area. You would also be legal with that motor.
    I would try hidden lake or even Engineer for lakers,Kokanee/landlocked salmon and trout.
    You could also try Kenai lake or Skilak just watch the weather on the bigger water.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

the only 2 strokes you can not have a 50 hp are the older 2 strokes, if you have one of those it can only be 35 hp. You can't use them at all in the month of July and I am pretty sure you can only use it down stream from Warren Ames bridge for dip netting in July, I also heard they were going to make it so you can only use a DFI 2 stroke or 4 stroke period starting 20013 (Kenai River). I don't know if this has taken effect yet.

Thanks we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    the only 2 strokes you can not have a 50 hp are the older 2 strokes, if you have one of those it can only be 35 hp. You can't use them at all in the month of July and I am pretty sure you can only use it down stream from Warren Ames bridge for dip netting in July, I also heard they were going to make it so you can only use a DFI 2 stroke or 4 stroke period starting 20013 (Kenai River). I don't know if this has taken effect yet.
    I think the regs changed to say all year 4 stroke or DFI now. It used to be only during july but after a quick read of this years regs (unless I misunderstood it) it says Jan 1 to Dec 31 only 4 stroke of DFI motors allowed on the kenai.

I think the regs changed to say all year 4 stroke or DFI now. It used to be only during july but after a quick read of this years regs (unless I misunderstood it) it says Jan 1 to Dec 31 only 4 stroke of DFI motors allowed on the kenai.
    Yeah I heard they were going to do that starting this year, any one know what the motor restrictions are below Warren Ames Bridge?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast