Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Brown Bear Baiting in 7 next year????

  1. #1

    Default Brown Bear Baiting in 7 next year????

    Is baiting going to be allowed in unit 7 next year for grizz?

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    My understanding is yes, but complete meat salvage will be required (to include ribs, neck, etc.), and baiting will not be allowed on refuge land. You can find the details on publications from the last Board of Game meeting.

  3. #3

    Default

    I would sure like to know a LOT More about what the thinking is with this.

  4. #4
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    I'll bet the total meat salvage is ALL public relation crap. Wouldn't want a civilian to stumble upon a carcass that wasn't stripped clean. Sorry, but hunters should not be begging their ADF&G and game board masters to hunt. They should be working for us, educating the public, not cutting our activities so we don't hurt the feelings of all the ignorants out there. Rant over.

  5. #5
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    I've got big-time mixed feelings about expanded brown bear opportunity on the KP; while they do need thinning, almost nothing else around here does. As far as I know, it will be open season on browns and moose at the same time; we really don't need every Daryl and his other brother Daryl from Anch and the valley down here every weekend tearing up the trails and shooting sublegal bulls (don't want to have to make those generalizations, and some locals are no better, but it will happen...the region just don't need no more pressure)
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    I'll bet the total meat salvage is ALL public relation crap. Wouldn't want a civilian to stumble upon a carcass that wasn't stripped clean. Sorry, but hunters should not be begging their ADF&G and game board masters to hunt. They should be working for us, educating the public, not cutting our activities so we don't hurt the feelings of all the ignorants out there. Rant over.

    I Sure hope the hunters have thought out their game plan very very carefully, before they pull the trigger.

  7. #7
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I've got big-time mixed feelings about expanded brown bear opportunity on the KP; while they do need thinning, almost nothing else around here does. As far as I know, it will be open season on browns and moose at the same time; we really don't need every Daryl and his other brother Daryl from Anch and the valley down here every weekend tearing up the trails and shooting sublegal bulls (don't want to have to make those generalizations, and some locals are no better, but it will happen...the region just don't need no more pressure)
    I don't think the KP has any more pressure (or torn up trails) than any other road accessible area in SC. The areas up the Glenn and Parks Highways "don't need no more pressure" either...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default

    all i know is, i have been running the same bait station for four years and i have fed them brown bears really well over that 4 years and i am ready to let them feed me....

  9. #9
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    The thinking of the BOG was that more brown bears need to be taken on the KP to increase moose calf survival rates, and expanding opportunity by allowing the take over bait was a means to that end. The meat-salvage aspect was part PR I think, and part trying to see if hunters would actually utilize the meat. Link to the BOG reg changes below:

    http://alaskahunt.blogspot.com/

    BAITING CHANGES EFFECTIVE SPRING 2014
    Units 7, 13D, 15 and 16, allow brown bears to be taken at bait stations during open black bear baiting seasons with a bear baiting permit. The same restrictions that apply to black bear baiting apply to brown bear baiting. The edible meat of brown bears taken over bait must be salvaged.




  10. #10

    Default

    Well much of 7 is Chugach National Forest and there is no or nearly no ATV's allowed. Some baiters are still pulling off the Hope Road with their truck on CEA access roads.

    Unless you have a valid CEA work order and are operating CEA equipment it is illegal to leave the Hope Road. CNF does set up Trail Cameras and issues tickets.

    I can see a bait station hunter shooting a Brown Bear at near dark, only to discover it is nearly bald, and he has to skin it and haul the worthless hide and 534 pounds of meat that he does not want 1/4+ out to the truck. Now he has a bloody pack, bloody truck, a double butt ugly worthless hide, and 534 pounds of meat he has to EAT, after he processes it.

    Would be way better to open the season Oct. 15'th to Oct. 25'th (And must salvage Hide or Meat)

  11. #11
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well much of 7 is Chugach National Forest and there is no or nearly no ATV's allowed. Some baiters are still pulling off the Hope Road with their truck on CEA access roads.

    Unless you have a valid CEA work order and are operating CEA equipment it is illegal to leave the Hope Road. CNF does set up Trail Cameras and issues tickets.

    I can see a bait station hunter shooting a Brown Bear at near dark, only to discover it is nearly bald, and he has to skin it and haul the worthless hide and 534 pounds of meat that he does not want 1/4+ out to the truck. Now he has a bloody pack, bloody truck, a double butt ugly worthless hide, and 534 pounds of meat he has to EAT, after he processes it.

    Would be way better to open the season Oct. 15'th to Oct. 25'th (And must salvage Hide or Meat)
    Very well said.

  12. #12
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Would be way better to open the season Oct. 15'th to Oct. 25'th (And must salvage Hide or Meat)
    They did that last year and had a hard time killing enough bears. I'm all for letting them kill browns on bait. Need more moose around.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    They did that last year and had a hard time killing enough bears. I'm all for letting them kill browns on bait. Need more moose around.....
    I would not harvest a 11'- 8" brown bear, with a 36" skull........if I had to "EAT 100% of the Eatable Meat". And if you don't it is "Wanton Waste", even if you haul it ALL out.

    The problem with last years hunt is it was an emergency opening........and not something hunters could plan for, Plus it was wacky about the harvest.

    Just have a 10 day or 15 day harvest ticket hunt that is AFTER the Moose season is closed, that hunters can plan for. And scrap the stupid "Eat'Meat" thing. That is just violations looking to happen 100% of the harvest.

  14. #14

    Default

    The other issue is you can't harvest a Brown Bear.........UNLESS you have a legal Bait Station...........if you think it is crowded now.....with stations.

  15. #15
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    I know last year it was short notice on the fall registration hunt and you had to go to Kenai to get a tag. Me personally, I didn't feel like driving all the way to Kenai just to pick up a tag. I'm sure though that a lot of bears will get weeded out with the bait hunters.

  16. #16
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now
    I would not harvest a 11'- 8" brown bear, with a 36" skull........if I had to "EAT 100% of the Eatable Meat". And if you don't it is "Wanton Waste", even if you haul it ALL out.


    I think the BOG, and others like myself, are well aware that it is likely few will actually eat the meat after hauling it out. But we'll see. The regs only stipulate you salvage the meat from the field. Once it's to wherever "processing" should/would occur ... anything can happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now
    The other issue is you can't harvest a Brown Bear.........UNLESS you have a legal Bait Station...........if you think it is crowded now.....with stations.


    Huh? Of course hunters will be able to harvest a brown bear via hunting. Check the link I posted on the reg changes. For units 7 and 15, the BOG changed the regs. It will now be one brown bear every regulatory year and hunting season will be Sept 1 - May 31.



  17. #17
    Member Kotton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anchorage ak
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Bushrat,Will the spot and stalk hunters have to haul meat out our is it just the baiters?If I'm right on last falls hunt there was no meat salvage requirements?

  18. #18
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Kotton, my understanding is that only hide has to be salvaged for spot and stalk hunters. And of course the skull for sealing and info ADFG wants to collect.

  19. #19
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I would not harvest a 11'- 8" brown bear, with a 36" skull........if I had to "EAT 100% of the Eatable Meat". And if you don't it is "Wanton Waste", even if you haul it ALL out.
    Good for you......you can interpret the regs anyway you so choose. Or you can view them correctly as in:

    The regs only stipulate you salvage the meat from the field. Once it's to wherever "processing" should/would occur ... anything can happen.



    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Good for you......you can interpret the regs anyway you so choose. Or you can view them correctly as in:

    The regs only stipulate you salvage the meat from the field. Once it's to wherever "processing" should/would occur ... anything can happen.



    So Very SORRY............I don't READ the Regulations. But you can feel free to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •