Thread: heat exchanger, repair or replace?

Default heat exchanger, repair or replace?

I have a small coolant leak on my inboard with closed cooling, slow drips coming from the jet. Going to pull the outlets to the risers later to make sure its not those gaskets, but I am pretty sure its the exchanger. Is there any place in ak to have it repaired or should I just replace it.

Take it to a good radiator shop. They'll clean it out and repair any leaks. No need to replace unless a lot of tubes are shot.

What material is the heat exchanger made of, it may not be possible to be repaired. I would talk to a couple of boat repair shops and see what your options are. After you remove it look at the anodes on the engine to make sure that was not the problem that cause your leak.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    Take it to a good radiator shop. They'll clean it out and repair any leaks. No need to replace unless a lot of tubes are shot.
    I'm up north, would have to mail it out. I'll see how far I can take it apart later and update on the material.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan9974 View Post
    I'm up north, would have to mail it out. I'll see how far I can take it apart later and update on the material.
    Called arctic marine & the boat shop and neither had exchangers in stock and both recommended replacing vs repairing. From what I could see three tubes were leaking. I'll order a replacement. Luckily all the credit cards are paid off in anticipation of boating season....

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan9974 View Post
    Called arctic marine & the boat shop and neither had exchangers in stock and both recommended replacing vs repairing. From what I could see three tubes were leaking. I'll order a replacement. Luckily all the credit cards are paid off in anticipation of boating season....
    Sent it to dean's automotive, they did great work and was very inexpensive. Cleaned it, repaired it, and gave it a fresh coat of paint.

So you repaired it instead of replacing it?
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

don't forget to check/replace the zincs in that cooler.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    don't forget to check/replace the zincs in that cooler.

Roger Dodger on those zincs. They are located on the underside of the exchanger and are also one of the drains. If there is some zinc left .... repairing might buy a little more time. If the zincs are totally gone ...... tubes were probably without protection. Repaired many Mercruiser heat exchangers ...... during the salmon season when there was no time to replace ...... by figuring out which tubes were leaking and tapping in the lead bullet from a 22 round. They fit the tube diameter nice and tight. Short term fix though ..... once heat exchangers start to have leaking problems .... replacement isn't generally far off.

San Juan is your place http://www.go2marine.com/productcenters/heatexchangers/

Here is the company that I have been buying from.
    They have always been very helpful solving any problem I have had.
    They are in Bellingham, WA.
    http://www.orcamarine.com

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    Roger Dodger on those zincs. They are located on the underside of the exchanger and are also one of the drains. If there is some zinc left .... repairing might buy a little more time. If the zincs are totally gone ...... tubes were probably without protection. Repaired many Mercruiser heat exchangers ...... during the salmon season when there was no time to replace ...... by figuring out which tubes were leaking and tapping in the lead bullet from a 22 round. They fit the tube diameter nice and tight. Short term fix though ..... once heat exchangers start to have leaking problems .... replacement isn't generally far off.

San Juan is your place http://www.go2marine.com/productcenters/heatexchangers/
    Zinc's still look new, boat is 95% river, only time I venture in the salt is when I go past the mouth of the rivers to the sound/bay. It was freeze damage. Paying $90 for a cleaning, repair and fresh paint was more then worth it compared to $850 new.