Thread: Skandic SWT 550f

Question Skandic SWT 550f

I know this is not the time of year for much activity on the snowmachine forum but if there is anyone with any comments on the 07 SWT. I would like to hear from you. My local dealer has a good deal on a leftover 07 550f SWT. My main use of a sled is for ice fishing purposes usually towing heavy tote sleds and running in anything from bare ice up to 3 feet of snow and anything in between. This seems like it would be a great sled for me but I am a little leary about the weight and size of the machine. If I get stuck I do not want to have to find a towtruck ! Also was looking for any comment on the 550f in a machine this large. I am not looking for a hot rod sled but would like a sled with enough power to play a little when the fish are not hitting.......... Thanks for your comments.

nhfishhunter

My biggest impression of one a friend has? Gas pig. Serious gas pig. Nothing it can do shines bright enough to overcome the fuel issue.

Another friend has a TUV 600sdi. That's the one all-around sled everybody should want. Fast enough to be fun, great suspension (especially for a wide track), and it sips fuel.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Default SWT's are fantastic

I have two SWT, an 01 and a 06. SWT's are the one ton dually of the snowmachine world in everyway except for going in deep snow, which they excel at, if you really learn how to ride the pigs. They are pretty heavy and they do use the gas, 10 mpg is about the best and sometimes its only 5 or 6, but getting 6 mpg pulling 1500 lbs up the river is not to bad. If you get out on the river you'll find that most freight is hauled with SWT's and sometime the 20 inch wide WT's and SUV's. I have 3,500 miles on my 06 and over 5,000 on the 01 and they are still going strong.

Last year (Feb 06) we broke trail for the Iron Dog through Ptarmigan Pass in more than 5 feet of new snow. There is a learning curve, especially if you haven't ridden very much, but what a blast learning. I can go on and on, but..........bedtime.

Default Thanks

Thanks to both of you for your comments... I Have been doing a lot of reading and asking questions all around for some time and for the most part people are very impressed with the SWT's ability. The gas prices are a concern but I do not ride more than a few hundred miles per year and with the deal I can get on this machine compaired to a 08 600sdi I will be able to buy gas for several years . My old citation will run almost all winter on a couple tanks of fuel and still starts on the first tug (most of the time) . there is no odometer on it... Wish it did have one now, has served me well since 1985.

How much is gas up your way ?? here it is about 2.90 per gallon as of today.
    Thanks again...Mark

Default Scandic SWT....

I've been using a '98 SWT (503fan) since new....has about 10,000 miles, although the exact total is unknown because it's on its third speedometer. I bought it to replace a '94 Alpine. Once the SWT arrived, I never drove the Alpine again....the SWT would do anything the Alpine could do...far easier and more comfortably...and you can ride it on a long trip - in comfort. I broke trail in front of the Yukon Quest one year, all the way from Whitehorse to Fairbanks and was comfortable. I also use it to freight, hauling 2 heavily loaded 9' sleighs on a number of tours. Few other sleds would have done all these choirs, all these year, and thrived/survived. It's still in great shape, due to sane driving and careful maintenance.

I'm sure the more recent versions are much improved, but mine is still ready for the backcountry.

For my use, I would take a fan cooled motor over a liquid cooled one for the backcountry. Sometimes you have to go where there's no snow once in a while....and liquid cooled would possibly fail....fan cooled takes it in stride.

Good Luck.

Thanks for you input... I have been on the fence for a month and you knocked me off.... Went and bought the beast this am. Now I have to wait till nov-dec to give it a run... Thanks..Mark

If your last sled was a Citation, you are going to be nothing but thrilled with your new 'Doo. Also, I feel like you made a wise decision as skidoo is, IMO, the leader in the utility sled class. Oh by the way, gas is roughly the same up here.

Last fall I purchased a Skandic 550f SUV and found it to be a great sled for the types of things you are doing. One option that you may want to consider is the portable winch that is an option. The same winch is also sold in Cabelas and was in a sale catalog. I have one for mine and it sure is a nice little insurance policy based upon the size and weight of the machine. I do know one thing, these sleds will go places and pull a load like nothing else.

Default re:swt winch....

A winch would be nice, but I carry a rope come-a-long...works great, and I've seldom needed it. $60 plus the cost of the 1/2" rope...light and fits under the seat....

Another nice addition is a 12v plug in, handheld spotlight...bright, light and fits under the seat...good for route finding.

I think you'll like your machine...w/ proper care, it'll serve you for a decade or two.

Happy trails.

Default Thanks

Thanks to all... I will let you know how I like it next winter. I am off in the AM for a week of trout fishing in Northern Maine...

Have a great long weekend.... Mark