Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you taken this shot...???

Default Have you taken this shot...???

I was just looking at the different scope reticles on the Zeiss website and I came across this aim point that they show on an elk. I don't believe I have ever aimed or taken a shot at an animal at that spot, and was wondering if any of you have?

Go to the link: http://www.zeiss.com/C12568CF0020629...$File/elk.html and click on the elk. Then click on any of the reticle choices as they will all aim at the same point.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Not a shot I'd take. I always shoot just behind the front leg to make sure I get lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L View Post
    ....... I always shoot just behind the front leg to make sure I get lungs.
    Same here. Such shots rarely drop them dead in their tracks, but I've never lost an animal with lung shots. I would assume that the aim point on the website is a spine shot. Seems like a lot could go wrong with that shot.

Nope I'm a lung guy. Big target and very lethal.

The reticles aren't presented to be the best shot on the elk, but to be perfectly centered in the picture. I doubt that the person who set that up has ever touched a rifle, much less hunted.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Not sure what the point of that was? I've only shot a couple animals in the neck and that was at very close range. Too much room for error. Any seasoned hunter knows behind the front shoulder is a dead animal, end of story. So yes I would shoot, but not where the reticle wanted me to. That's as broadside a shot as you will ever get. Dead elk.

I think Stranger said that and the head shot were his favorite but thats with open military sights so don't know what spot he would pick with scope or dot. I shoot for both shoulders cuzz I don't like watching critters run off. I also know I can get it out where I shot the critter but maybe not if it runs a hundred yards or more.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nope saw a brother drop one with a shot to the neck but that was at less than 20 yards otherwise I'd go for the pocket

Like .338 said, it is just pictured with the reticle centered on the page. Check any of the other animals and you will see the position of the animal changes, but the reticle position on the picture is always dead center. Personally, depending on the specific situation, higher and to the right or lower and to the left. No where it is aimed now and never directly into the shoulders (too much wasted meat for me to feel okay about it).

I would not take the shot there.

That looks, to me, to be high on the spine, and an easy miss if an inch too high........ closer to the head is very predictable as to exactly where the spine is.

Seeing him like that through the magnification of a scope he's gotta be a distance away, so if I were shooting in that area of his body, a double lung would be better.

The closer the neck is to the shoulders the taller the dorsal of the spine is , and I think that shot would hit the spine, it looks a bit high to me. A shot in the dorsal often drops them like a rock (shock), but they will get up again inna minute or less when the can feel their legs again. A couple inches lower and the spine, and two major arteries that run below it, its a fairly long narrow target....... so its looking past 250yards, better to hit the Heart/Lungs, or .... if using open sights, no magnification, just the 100 or less yards he'd be standing at in the picture, The better shot at that close open sightd range is the 6"X4"X4" brain at that range........easy.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Nope; BUT move the crosshair back about 4" and I would. A high front shoulder shot taking out both shoulders reduces tracking.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Never shot an elk, but shot a lot of whitetails in the neck, move those crosshair forward and down 2" each and that's meat in the freezer. The base of the neck close to the shoulder drops them in there tracks. My opinion, not everyones 1st choice though.

From what I saw...

the crosshairs are on the point of the shoulder with spine behind it. Not a "highly recommended" shot, but one that should drop that elk right there... if you hold steady, the wind don't blow, and he don't move as yuo squeze that trigger- or did you jerk the trigger in the excitiment of the moment?

Chris

Shot lots of elk but never one in that location. Neck shot would be the same elevation and directly under G2. Best shot for elk is to stay away from the shoulders and shoot in the pocket behind the front leg. You will waste a lot of meat on elk shooting in the shoulder area. Randy

I don't think the picture is recommending you shoot in that location. I think it is intended to show you how the reticle looks. like mentioned earlier the person that set it probably never has hunted before.

Funny question. Ask this again on the last day of the season with a hungry family at home.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I think it is a perfect hold, if the wind is steady at 40 MPH coming from the right, range 450 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonp2 View Post
    I don't think the picture is recommending you shoot in that location. I think it is intended to show you how the reticle looks.
    I was thinking the same.

2011 bull moose 150 yards with a 300rum. He didn't even twitch.

No; and never would intentionally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast