Thread: Fairbanks to Dawson City

Default Fairbanks to Dawson City

I'm thinking of flying this sometime this summer. I think I'll go straight from Fairbanks to Eagle. Stop to stretch legs and then on to Dawson City. I'm looking a air miles now and I can fly direct without fuel stop. But on way back do I need to stop in Tok for customs? I'm not sure if I need passport or not. I'm looking into that right now. Like to hear from anyone who has flown this. Thanks

I did it two years ago. Great trip!!! Eagle has a old fort with restored equipment and it is worth the walk into town to check it out. You will need passport and stop in Tok.
    DENNY

Years ago, used to be customs in Eagle, guess that's no longer available? Not sure about Tok, thought it was Northway.

Quote Originally Posted by 7GC View Post
    Years ago, used to be customs in Eagle, guess that's no longer available? Not sure about Tok, thought it was Northway.
    Customs is now in Tok So I do have to have passport? Ok. Better get on that fast. Boneguy how was the weather and trip on your day? Did you fly straight over the top in that direction? Altitude? I've only spent a few trips out that way flying upper Salcha, Charlie and goodpastor rivers.

Unless it just changed in the past month, customs is not at Tok. They are on the highway just across the border from Beaver Creek, and for aircraft have to drive up to Northway, which is the assigned airport of entry for their station. When I was coming in from flying up the highway last month, they had a limitation on their ability to get to Northway because their staff is limited, and could only make it work from 9 am to 3 pm, if you arrange it with them ahead of time. However, they authorized me to fly to Anchorage International for customs, with a fuel stop in Tok. They might do the same for FBX.

If you are going to Canada by air, you will need to arrange customs with Canadian Customs before you launch from Eagle, and will have to file an eAPIS manifest with US Customs both outgoing and returning...and you have to be on a flight plan with FAA handed off to NavCanada the one direction and the reverse going the other direction...and you must carry aircraft insurance, limits depend on the size of the plane, for flying into Canada. And don't carry handguns. And if you carry any firearms plan ahead and make sure you have vetted your plan with Canada Customs before you launch...

Sorry for the long soliloquy, just been refreshed on it from a trip up here, maybe you already know all this stuff.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    Unless it just changed in the past month, customs is not at Tok. They are on the highway just across the border from Beaver Creek, and for aircraft have to drive up to Northway, which is the assigned airport of entry for their station. When I was coming in from flying up the highway last month, they had a limitation on their ability to get to Northway because their staff is limited, and could only make it work from 9 am to 3 pm, if you arrange it with them ahead of time. However, they authorized me to fly to Anchorage International for customs, with a fuel stop in Tok. They might do the same for FBX.

If you are going to Canada by air, you will need to arrange customs with Canadian Customs before you launch from Eagle, and will have to file an eAPIS manifest with US Customs both outgoing and returning...and you have to be on a flight plan with FAA handed off to NavCanada the one direction and the reverse going the other direction...and you must carry aircraft insurance, limits depend on the size of the plane, for flying into Canada. And don't carry handguns. And if you carry any firearms plan ahead and make sure you have vetted your plan with Canada Customs before you launch...

Sorry for the long soliloquy, just been refreshed on it from a trip up here, maybe you already know all this stuff.
    Good thing I asked the question. I'm being told many different things. Thanks for the time and I'll start digging into it.

If you can fly nonstop to Dawson, why don't you fly back to Fairbanks and clear customs there? BTDT.

The first thing to do is go to the AOPA Web site and read the whole deal or you can end up getting fined. They have a excellent guide there for crossing back and forth. It's no big deal if you take you time and follow the procedures. Oh yea, they did check my 180 with a geiger counter, guess the world is changing.

Troy is right you have to stop in Northway for coustoms on the way back Tok was for fuel (wine and keyboard don,t mix). Weather was good on flying days but rained the day we spent in Dawson. I tend to stay pretty close to the ground when I fly. We ran the river from Eagle to Dawson.
    Denny