Thread: Travel Advisory for Elliott Highway (North of Fairbanks)

Default Travel Advisory for Elliott Highway (North of Fairbanks)

I am providing all readers with this important Travel Advisory for the Elliott highway for "snatch and grab thieves". It was my experience last year to have my off-road camp site visited by two different snatch n' grab thieves. Unfortunately, one group was able to take one camping bag full of necessary items. I have learned from this mistake and I want to share my experience.

One group operates only during the early morning hours (5AM to 6:30AM) They probably selected this time as no one would awaken and leave the comfort of their vehicle, trailer or tent to investigate. Their "Method of Operation) is to drive near you camp location and one person exists the vehicle. The driver keeps the engine running. The person on the ground is going to take anything that catches his eye. The stolen items include: fuel cans, food ice chests, cooking stoves and anything not tied down. Within a few minutes, the one person has possession of the items and is returning to the waiting vehicle. On my particular morning, I called-out from my tent and this caused the person to immediately run for his vehicle. I opened the tent door and could only see a vehicle speeding away.

Second group prefers to steal on Sunday between the hours of noon and 2PM. I talked with members of this group and one person boasted to me how they steal. He said between these hours, individuals are usually away from their vehicles and camp sites. They have more time to search the camp site for items. I was face-to-face with these individuals and this is what I remember. They were driving a late model Dodge Dakota black pickup truck with no camper. I could not locate a license plate and believe they remove it before entering the Elliott highway. The young person said they do not have knives or firearms as this would mean a felony conviction if caught.

Suggestions on how to prevent personal loss. Remove all valuable items from outside and secure them. Those items that are left outside, secure them using rope or wire cable. You can use small locks to secure the metal tabs on bags. These methods will slow down the thieves to waste valuable time. Take a visual or written inventory of your outside items and confirm the count the next morning. When a vehicle approaching near your camp site, you have to challenge them. They will assume the camp site is vacant and proceed to steal.

I reported my experience to law enforcement in a written statement. Their response was "they needed more evidence". He continued by saying they have a shortage of manpower and do not travel this road often. Personally, I refuse to stop while driving on the Elliott highway. You be careful out there while enjoying Alaskan outdoors.

Sounds like the perfect situation for a sting operation... Game cameras, etc.

I had my truck broken into a lots of things stolen in Trapper Creek a few years ago. No tolerance for thieves.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There have been numerous vehicle break-ins along the Elliot. The White Mtn. Trail parking areas and the parking area for the trailhead to Tolovana Hot Springs. For the Troopers to state that they need more evidence is pure stupidity. There are bandits driving the highway, welcome to Alaska where the Troopers can only be described as incompetent and missing in action. You are on your own out there.... The way the Troopers are approaching the problem, it is not likely to change much... How about a couple undercover stings out there! Park some juicy looking items out there and nail the *******s...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    There have been numerous vehicle break-ins along the Elliot. The White Mtn. Trail parking areas and the parking area for the trailhead to Tolovana Hot Springs. For the Troopers to state that they need more evidence is pure stupidity. There are bandits driving the highway, welcome to Alaska where the Troopers can only be described as incompetent and missing in action. You are on your own out there.... The way the Troopers are approaching the problem, it is not likely to change much... How about a couple undercover stings out there! Park some juicy looking items out there and nail the *******s...
    I want to share some interesting conversation that I had with one potential thief. He said friends and family would loan him money for his essentials (gas, liquor and drugs). In return, they encouraged him to steal. They would take the stolen property in exchange to reduce his debt. I agree that there are many ways to create "undercover stings" to detain these individuals. I am talking about a citizen arrest with sufficient evidence. You need photos of the individuals and their vehicle. Word would soon spread and the thieves would have to change thie "method" or stay quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    .......For the Troopers to state that they need more evidence is pure stupidity.....
    It's partly true, and partly a "cop-out".

......There are bandits driving the highway, welcome to Alaska where the Troopers can only be described as incompetent and missing in action. You are on your own out there.... The way the Troopers are approaching the problem, it is not likely to change much... ........
    Property crimes are almost not even on the radar for all Alaskan law enforcement. You can first thank the courts and defense lawyers for that, then thank the law enforcement community for simply giving up on it since the investment in resources isn't "worth their time".

This "snatch n' grab highway issue is a major problem for the local residents of Fairbanks and surrounding areas. We know the facts, where it occurs and how it is done. Imagine the family who visits the Elliott highway from Anchorage or the tourist in a rental vehicle. They arrive on the Elliott highway to enjoy a day of outdoor adventure and their trip is turned into a costly experience. Personally, I will park my truck only in designated parking areas where someone is around. I am reluctant to camp just anywhere. I will find a commercial camping business and use their facilities. Everything that I take to the field, I intend to bring back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    It's partly true, and partly a "cop-out".

Property crimes are almost not even on the radar for all Alaskan law enforcement. You can first thank the courts and defense lawyers for that, then thank the law enforcement community for simply giving up on it since the investment in resources isn't "worth their time".

They got some balls cause atleast I know I'm armed to the t when I'm out camping