Thread: What is the Best Sitka Deer Hunt for Alaska Resident ?

Wink What is the Best Sitka Deer Hunt for Alaska Resident ?

Interested in taking at least one Buck and then filling my freezer. I am Alaska Resident from Kenai been here oveer a year and used to Whitetail hunting in lower 48 . Looking for a good economical hunt that will produce my interest. Please contact me with any info .eoliver@homerelectric.com Thanks,......Ed

Kodiakh beach hunts are tough to beat for meat. Does or bucks makes for easy hunting. Looking for a lunker? POW or kodiak alpine.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Kodiakh beach hunts are tough to beat for meat. Does or bucks makes for easy hunting. Looking for a lunker? POW or kodiak alpine.
    Quit being so modest!! Coffman Cove Adventrues on POW makes for a very fun, they plush deer hunt. Certainly a different style of hunt then tent camping on Kodiak, but by the time of year I go down to POW I'm pretty much over the tent camp scene for a while.

Alpine POW for bruiser bucks early season.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

I can not speak of econimical...

I have done guided on Kodiak.. and am going back this November!

It was Just to great for me not to repeat the adventure.

Chris

i agree, i love hunting on kodiak. always seem to pull some nice bucks out of there too, and the rut action is a blast.

Hunted Kodiak for 25 years before my 4th back surgery put a halt to hunting. Now my5th surgery in Nov. has for sure ended trekking the Alaska wilds. Hunted Montaque once then Kodiak. No comparison. Bite the bullet on economics. you'll run out of health before you run out of money.

Just looked at cost difference from POW and my standard Kodiak trip. Okay starting to plan 2015 hunt. And really it boils down to less than $1000 per person difference. And since we plan out by the two years... that means saving back only about $50 dollars a month per hunter. And I really like having someone there to carry the extra weight of the harvest. We did three deer a trip out of each hunt from camp, was glad to have that 20 something young stud to pack meat!!!

So, unless you go with Gooch's place, I recommend just looking around to find what you would like to pay for and can afford. Like I said, we plan big hunts out two years and I have a "hunting account" that gets funds as often as I can put them in it!

There are drop off's, beach hunts, boat hunts, plane drop off's, guided/unguided.... the Sitka deer has a LOT of options. to include just getting to an area with road system and driving.

Chris

The best Sitka deer hunt for me is to open the door of my remote island cabin and look towards my vegtable garden! My 2nd best is beach hunting on my way to the remote island cabin.

For you your best option is to head into the woods in an area known to have black tails (I am unfamiliar with Kenai) during the rut (October here in SE) and blow a deer call and wait to see what comes running.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Mshunter1960 View Post
    ......Looking for a good economical hunt that will produce my interest. .....
    Economical, and you're a resident of the Kenai Peninsula?

Fly to the Lower 48, pay the non-resident license and tag fees, and ship the meat back.

Your next best bet is a road area hunt near the city of Kodiak.

Kodiak is hard to beat. Can't speak for anything in the southeast region but I see lots of satisfied hunters pictures from that area.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    Economical, and you're a resident of the Kenai Peninsula?

Fly to the Lower 48, pay the non-resident license and tag fees, and ship the meat back.

Your next best bet is a road area hunt near the city of Kodiak.
    Exactly what I was thinking...

I usually fly into Sitka and Charter out with Harris Air to a forest service cabin. Always get plenty of deer , weather is always nasty, Mid November.

I use air miles to Sitka and the rest of the trip is usually about 800.00 each for 2 hunters. Great trip and a nice warm cabin. No tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    during the rut (October here in SE)
    News to me. I've always considered the rut to be from Halloween to Thanksgiving - so predominantly in November.

I've rattled up bucks on Alaska Day (mid-Oct) that I consider that pre-rut as they are in high gear making rubs then and are interesed in figuring out who's the dominant buck, but they don't come hard to the call when the game is really on.

Back to the OP's question. He never really defined what was meant by best. Could mean:

Easiest
    Best trophy opportunity
    Best chance as getting lots of deer, but not necessarily a whopper
    Cushyest. (i.e. no camping in driving wind/rain, comforts of a boat-based or cabin-based hunt)
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    News to me. I've always considered the rut to be from Halloween to Thanksgiving - so predominantly in November.

I've rattled up bucks on Alaska Day (mid-Oct) that I consider that pre-rut as they are in high gear making rubs then and are interesed in figuring out who's the dominant buck, but they don't come hard to the call when the game is really on.

Back to the OP's question. He never really defined what was meant by best. Could mean:

Easiest
    Best trophy opportunity
    Best chance as getting lots of deer, but not necessarily a whopper
    Cushyest. (i.e. no camping in driving wind/rain, comforts of a boat-based or cabin-based hunt)
    etc.
    LG - Best chance as getting lots of deer, but not necessarily a whopper. I am like most and would love to kill the BIG one but I still in 40 years have not eaten any antlers so I guess I am a meat hunter if you want to call it that . I am in to fill my freezer and put some deer meat right beside the mash potatoes and gravy on my plate weekly. Any info is appreciated......Ed

SkwentnaMan,
    Can you email me more information as for as who to contact to obtain a Forest Cabin ? Some info on what kind of hunting you do during that time ? akhunter1960@gmail.com....Thanks,..Ed

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I would say Best according to your terms is an alignment of resources, time, and weather conditions. If you've got a good friend with a big boat (resources), that has the time, and the weather has been heavy snow in November then that is the "Best" according to you. This type of hunt can take place in and around any of the dense population areas of Sitka Blacktail deer (PWS, Kodiak, POW, SE AK). You all get together motor around the bays and estuaries and start spot and stalking deer. After that you've got a heap of work to do. Line up the three and you'll be in luck.