Thread: North East Alaska

Default North East Alaska

I am sitting in Beaver Creek, the Yukon Territory having arrived today all the way from Southern Maryland/Washington DC. We are about 50 miles to the border between Alaska and Beaver Creek, YT. I plan to travel to TOK, AK tomorrow morning. A visit to the local fishing experts to get information on fishing for Grayling, Trout, Dolly Varden, etc. Who should I talk to in that area and what are your recommendations?

Okay, I'll respond to my own post. I am now in Tok, Alaska and the locals tell me not to bother fishing anywhere near Tok as the last week snow storm has really trashed out the local fisheries. Soon I will displace to Valdez and fish the clock-wise route and end back up here this fall.

Middle of nowhere without a plan?

Quote Originally Posted by jholp View Post
    Okay, I'll respond to my own post. I am now in Tok, Alaska and the locals tell me not to bother fishing anywhere near Tok as the last week snow storm has really trashed out the local fisheries. Soon I will displace to Valdez and fish the clock-wise route and end back up here this fall.
    Valdez has some offshore opportunities right now, but it's breakup right now, so the rivers are mostly all blown out. You might have some chance at rainbow trout or grayling as the lakes thaw. Been pretty warm over on that side of the state, so it might be happening now.

Pick up a copy of The Highway Angler if you can find one (it's temporarily out of print). Lots of good intel in there regarding road system fisheries.

It might help us to offer more targeted advice if you could provide a little more background; what you're up to, what you're looking for, etc. Your two posts so far are a bit cryptic and create an impression that you dropped in here out of nowhere without a plan. That's a formula for disaster, as this place will kill you if you are unprepared. Not saying that's you, but we've buried a few up here over the years who thought they knew something but were only guessing. We're here to help; give us something more to go on...

Good Luck.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

If money is less of an object, talk to 40 Mile Air in Tok about a flyin trip to a cabin for pike fishing for a couple nights. If money is more of an object, the reds are beginning to run up the Resurrection River in Seward, so buy a few snagging hooks, drive to Seward, and have at it.