Thread: HB storage damage

Default HB storage damage

Needed to replace a thwart on my Hudson Bay as the rear one broke. Use a trusty 2X6 and 3, 3 1/2 inch 1/4" carriage bolts/ side.

On inspection I have some damage on the floor of the boat over the left keelson. Looks like impact cracks with the most serious one cratered out as if it had been hit with a hammer but there is no corresponding impact damage on the boat bottom. Can water get between and freeze? I definately have a bit more repair to do. Luckily I have lots of experience with fiberglass.

Did you put the bow way up and let the water all drain before you put it away for the winter? Water could have gone from center pipe if it had problems
    and migrated to keelson then expanded. Just a guess?

Sure enough there was water in the keelson. Not sure how it would get in there or once in how it would get out. Dry now and fiberglassed 3 layers of cloth over the cleaned up damage. damage to the keelson at the bottom front might have let water in...I'll fix that next.

North61 ... I'd appreciate pictures of your repair work, if you could. Some of us may have a similar problem on occasion. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    North61 ... I'd appreciate pictures of your repair work, if you could. Some of us may have a similar problem on occasion. Thanks.
    I'll get to it this weekend. No idea how water got in. The damage to the keelson would not have done it. Drilled holes in inside end of both keelspns and water was trapped only in the left one. Thinking that installing a valve of some kind might be a good idea. Too bad I didn't do a photo essay when I did the work.