Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How was your weekend fishing western PWS?

Default How was your weekend fishing western PWS?

The only fish we caught May 25 and 26 were some small cod we used for shrimp bait. Anyone have better luck? Went no further than Naked Island.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

A two day limit of jumbo 8 to 10lb black rockfish, released back 4 nice Lings, kept a few chicken halibut but really went for the rockfish
    The rockfish were through the entire water column, my son was actually able to net some that followed up the hooked fish..we release them. Were able to release the little guys and keep the jumbos; a fishing frenzy for sure.

4 days, 227 miles, lots of gas!

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Looks like you are all catching far out, like Montague. Nice hauls.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    A two day limit of jumbo 8 to 10lb black rockfish, released back 4 nice Lings, kept a few chicken halibut but really went for the rockfish
    The rockfish were through the entire water column, my son was actually able to net some that followed up the hooked fish..we release them. Were able to release the little guys and keep the jumbos; a fishing frenzy for sure.

4 days, 227 miles, lots of gas!

Lets see the pics!!

We caught three butts 50-75lbs within 25 miles of whittier at our halibut hole. Little slow yet

Sounds like you guys did pretty good. We bonked 6 hali, released 4 or 5 itty bitty ones. Bonked 3 yelloweyes, 1 black rockfish, 2 quillbacks, 643 shrimp, more arrowtooth than I care to shake off in a day, and more cod than I could even try to count, some of the cod were pretty big. The bigger hali was 48 inches long. I had a heck of time finding fish. This the first time that I went out a long ways. I fished seal Is, applegate (Pennsylvania), green, little green, needles, north side of latouche. No lings hooked - was kind of looking for a spot for them come season. A lot of the rockfish were full of eggs - they should not let US sporties kill them this time of year - kind of a shame that they made it to spawn and then BONK. The halibut and rockfish that we caught were very spotty. I did not try to fish over 300.

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Good job on the shrimp too. I've been hearing it's really spotty out there this year.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Lets see the pics!!
    The camera is still on the boat, which is next to the garage. Iíll upload some pics to photo bucket and get them posted tonight.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Lets see the pics!!

11 in the box here, we added one more after the count..next day the same.

Left the kid on the boat to walk the dog.

Skippy the dog staying on his bed, at least part of him.

Could have took the shot, saw 3 deer on this trip.

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Whoa! Thoses are some really nice looking black's. We're going to try for some next week farther out. We love to eat rockfish but other than yelloeyeye all we seem to catch closer in is coppers, china, and quills.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post

11 in the box here, we added one more after the count..next day the same.

Left the kid on the boat to walk the dog.

Skippy the dog staying on his bed, at least part of him.

Could have took the shot, saw 3 deer on this trip.

When you say off-shore do you mean around the corner in the Gulf?
    Excuse my ignorance but what are those fish on the fish finder? Are you painting rockies like that?
    I've only seen salmon appear as you've posted.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post

MemorialDayWkEnd 010.jpgMemorialDayWkEnd 048.jpgThe rockies will paint like that for sure.

MemorialDayWkEnd 031.jpgMemorialDayWkEnd 010.jpgAnyone ever caught a big ole sea anemone? My wife did. I had to wrap the line around the gaff handle about 10 times and pull for all I had - then it popped loose.

MemorialDayWkEnd 045.jpgMemorialDayWkEnd 046.jpg I went out a few days before my uncle and wife came out on Saturday morning - so I was up on the shrimp a bit - took 17.5 pounds of tails into Fee's and then had another 215 when we came back in. I didn't have a camera until my wife came on Saturday. I also caught a nice fat silver off of Cochrane trolling on my way out. We released several small halibut too. Overall I put on 453 miles on the boat. I can go from whittier, into blackstone, through esther passage and out to montague NW side and then straight back into whittier on 51 gallons of fuel!

MemorialDayWkEnd 018.jpgMy wife won the biggest fish of the year award!

Awesome pictures! It's funny how big of a lure those smaller fish will hit.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Whoa! Thoses are some really nice looking black's. We're going to try for some next week farther out. We love to eat rockfish but other than yelloeyeye all we seem to catch closer in is coppers, china, and quills.
    The blacks are generally taken in shallow water ~30-60' and often times aren't holding on bottom. There is one pinnacle I fish that comes up to ~180' at the shallowest and often times there are schools of blacks at about 30' deep. There alot of fun to catch on a salmon rod with a 2-4 oz jig.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Shallow is how I remember fishing for them for years in Seward.
    We'd use a fairly lightweight leadhead jig with bucktail.
    I tried shallow around Little Green and 2 seasons ago and didn't get a bite!
    Same rocky looking area like I rember in Seward.
    I was really bummed.
    I'll give shallow another try next week. Heading out toward Latouche for a few days.
    I really want to get on some blacks. The other's are good to eat too but really pretty small.
    Thanks for your response/advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The blacks are generally taken in shallow water ~30-60' and often times aren't holding on bottom. There is one pinnacle I fish that comes up to ~180' at the shallowest and often times there are schools of blacks at about 30' deep. There alot of fun to catch on a salmon rod with a 2-4 oz jig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast