Thread: Dual purpose boat

Default Dual purpose boat

How well would this boat do in PWS I am looking for a dual boat, not looking to go far into the ocean just around PWS and Seward Valdez kind of stuff looking for bears and halibut. But would still want to run the rivers as well, will the small motor do well?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3798067538.html

You really have to pick and choose your days in the sound with that type. That's very similar to the type of boat that I have except mine has a top. I run the rivers and I have been out on 200 mile round trips in the sound. Like I said, you have to pick your days because anything over 2' seas can get dangerous in a hurry. You don't want to be 60 miles out and have some weather roll in and put a damper on the trip. One good thing is that it has an enclosed bow. That will help while bucking the waves because it won't swamp your bow, but you have to remember that there are very big differences between river boats and ocean boats. Ocean boats have more keel and a deeper V hull which helps cut the waves. Our jet boats really beat you up and you have to throttle way back in the waves so you don't kill your kidneys. Also, this style of jetboat has almost no freeboard. Even just a little bit of swell while you are fishing could easily swamp your boat.

Bottom line, it would work to go short distances. You just have to be very careful. Also, make sure you have a stomp grate. It has saved me numerous times.

I am just answering from my experience, but I'm sure there are others on here that are far better suited to respond to this than I am.

Good luck.

Any boat you want to take into the salt needs more of a V to the bow, otherwise you're gonna slam, slam, slam. It'll do it in a minor chop allright, but it's a miserable way to ride. And with no rise in the bow, you really have to watch it in even moderate seas. I think one of the best combo hull types are Klamath/Bayrunner. They have a good cut to the bow, but taper to near flat at the stern.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Severly underpowered! Choose your weather wisely and PWS is no problem. IMO a inboard jetboat is as close as there is to the "allaround" boat. This is my 22' inboard jetboat, 300hp, suspension seats. Notice hull design. Up to 2' seas/chop I can run on step 28-30MPH, after 2' seas it takes a great deal of throttle control and steering effort to handle a jetboat offstep. This photo is just south of Main Bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My last boat was a Hewescraft Sportsman 20' with the 200 Sport Jet. It had a decent V in the bow and pretty flat in the stern. We took that baot all over PWS, Seward and Homer fishing the deep water, but ran the Su, Deshka and Yentna plenty too. I think it was a great dual purpose boat. I heard the other day that Deweys was getting a few new one in this year too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    My last boat was a Hewescraft Sportsman 20' with the 200 Sport Jet. It had a decent V in the bow and pretty flat in the stern. We took that baot all over PWS, Seward and Homer fishing the deep water, but ran the Su, Deshka and Yentna plenty too. I think it was a great dual purpose boat. I heard the other day that Deweys was getting a few new one in this year too.
    I have the Hewes 20' Open Fisherman, which is the same hull with center console rather than cabin. It's never been on a river, but it does fine in salt. With the 10 degree deadrise aft it comes on step really fast and is unbelievably stable with people up and moving around while fishing on salt. Only thing we notice with big chop, you'll get your kidneys pounded out your ears if you sit up forward, though it's fine back around the console.

My only real "beef" is that open transom. It just "feels" low when you're trolling downwind in a 3' chop and the waves are hissing up behind you. I'd be happiest overall if it was ET, but I've never seen that as an option. Coming back to the dock in that same 3' chop I was easily able to run at 20-25mph, though I got my face washed a few times with spray in the crosswind.

BTW- I went with the 50hp Yami on mine for fuel economy. It still does 25mph with 5 people in it, though only 29 when I'm by myself. Best of all, it sips fuel. We can run and fish all day on under 6 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    How well would this boat do in PWS I am looking for a dual boat, not looking to go far into the ocean just around PWS and Seward Valdez kind of stuff looking for bears and halibut. But would still want to run the rivers as well, will the small motor do well?

PM me ... I have a good dual purpose boat for you! Seriously.

So went and looked at the boat, it sure has seen some rocks, trees in its time several big dents and lots of hits in the bottom has several patches that are will need redone but in the good side it has a new crate motor. It has a berkley turbo jet what's the deal with them I am as green as they come. Also the trailer will need a lot of work it doesn't fit the boat at all he swaped the trailer it had with the one under his silver streak so it's way to wide for the current boat I think a guy could do some work and make a very nice boat out if the deal but there are many boats in that price range so no need to pay the same and have a project boat when a guy could buy a 351 powered boat in better shape for the same money.

edjucate me fellas I'm lost in many ways when it come to alum river boats

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Severly underpowered! Choose your weather wisely and PWS is no problem. IMO a inboard jetboat is as close as there is to the "allaround" boat.
    Agree with both points, especially the part about being severely under powered. If you want to stay with a jet boat a 350 ci motor is the smallest I would go with a 22 foot boat.

What's the good bad or indifferent of berkley or Hamilton jets

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

A dual purpose boat is a compromise. I've seen 20' boats way out in PWS, but I've also read some stories about them getting stuck holed up in some bay waiting for the storm to blow over and the seas to go down. Big water, big boat is my recomendation. That Yukon could beat you to death in Resurrection Bay on a bad day.

My recommendation is find a fishing buddy with one kind of boat, and you buy the other. Safer and more fun that way.

I have to agree that the boat is grossly underpowered. As for an all around boat I like to think i can pretty close for my needs. i run my boat 90% river 10% ocean. My jet boat has a 14 degree dead rise with 33" sides so i have a good amount of freeboard in the ocean. it cuts the ocean % fairly well. I can run with the 22' hewes sea runner in 2-3 foot chop with out getting beat up, but much more than that i have to work the throttle some. Same as the sea runner. The only place i had to some real issue was comming in at about 12 noon on Resurrection Bay just past Lowel point where the waves stack up and the wake from other boat stack up as well. I've done PW with out issues as well. For the river part. she will draw a few inches more than most jests. but once on step she draw about 8-10" depending on how loaded I am.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I haven't run a jet since the 70's down south, but I have to toss out something.

We used to take our jet out in saltwater, and there was just something about that slow jet wake that salmon loved. Silver salmon, but also kings, would come right up into it and hang there. If I was trolling a jet around here, I'd always have at least one line about 10' off the stern and no more than a couple of feet under water. It's often a hot spot with props, but even moreso with jets. Last week in 20' of clear water we got two kings so close off the stern (prop) we could see their spots and watch them hit. Now there is a barrel of fun!

That boat has a Carb. I would get a fuel injection boat. no road side service on the water. NEED at top and you can get one built. From experience get the right boat the first time and do not try to keep upgrading a cheaper boat until you get what you want.
    B.O.A.T = BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND.

So went and looked at the boat, it sure has seen some rocks, trees in its time several big dents and lots of hits in the bottom has several patches that are will need redone but in the good side it has a new crate motor. It has a berkley turbo jet what's the deal with them I am as green as they come. Also the trailer will need a lot of work it doesn't fit the boat at all he swaped the trailer it had with the one under his silver streak so it's way to wide for the current boat I think a guy could do some work and make a very nice boat out if the deal but there are many boats in that price range so no need to pay the same and have a project boat when a guy could buy a 351 powered boat in better shape for the same money.

edjucate me fellas I'm lost in many ways when it come to alum river boats
    Sorry to say, but keep looking. 4 cyl. = NO

berkley pump = NO. Good for speed and that's about it. Don't see to many speed boats on the rivers, or ocean for that matter. Actually, come to think of it... I've never seen a speed boat on the ocean up here.

seriously though, keep looking. If you really want a good deal as they say, wait till the end of the season to find something halfway decent. IMO.
    Tony

I would really have to disagree with you on the Berkley pump. My Weldcraft has a Berk with a stainless steel impeller and I've run it for years, I run it in Rivers and Ocean and its never let me down. Really a lot to like about it the pump honestly, Like the fact that you can clean it out on the water with the external clean out and not sink your boat. Most people I hear slamming a Berk / American Turbine pump have never run one.

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_import View Post
    I would really have to disagree with you on the Berkley pump. My Weldcraft has a Berk with a stainless steel impeller and I've run it for years, I run it in Rivers and Ocean and its never let me down. Really a lot to like about it the pump honestly, Like the fact that you can clean it out on the water with the external clean out and not sink your boat. Most people I hear slamming a Berk / American Turbine pump have never run one.
    I have a AA impeller in my at pump, it works ok when I have loads but my buddies boat has a 212 and honestly he can load it up and be on plane quicker then I can. I know there are slight differences in hull size etc. but his pump just chews threw crap floating in the river, I have had to get into the clean out a few times because of small sticks etc. Mine's faster though up top.

The only reason I am ok with taking my inboard out in the bay up here is because of the suspension seats, I wouldn't go in 2ft+ waves without them, like 907pride said the boat will beat you up out there.

Not to hi-jack the orginal thred here, But, my AT with a AB does just as well as my buddies 212. Sure i had to switch to stainless and a stainless ware ring, or i could not make this statement. I dont find my self hitting the stomp grate any more then he. i did put on an SDR which came with a smaller diameter nozzel and that improved my thrust. I can load her to the gills with gear and people and jump on step in about 50 yards. It is hard to compare a 212 to a AT pump since they are two very different animals.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Honestly if you want to get into decent fishing and hunting in South Central, you are going to be going a decent distance from port and your boat should be able to safely handle a 4' tight chop, and be able to run in a smaller chop w/o having to signifcantly get off the throttle. No, you won't want to go out in bad conditions, but you are guranteed to face them some day when coming back from a trip, and hiding out isn't always an option.

Our summers are short and the weather changes quickly. You don't want to further shorten the summer by waiting for perfect conditions due to a boat that can't handle typical realistic conditions. Same holds for a fixer upper boat, you don't want to spend all summer cleaning up somebody elses mess vs. going fishing.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Sorry about the Berkeley / AT comments, what I also didn't say is they are a good pump for the right applications. If your going to put less than 100 hrs on your boat a year and only keep it to the family, then yes any boat will do. But everyone I know has cabins and is always hauling somthing, be it summer or winter. And in the summer, a 212 or a 3 stage has worked better. But the others will work too, just more trips, cause less load. (Generally speaking).

As for the ocean side, you can plan all you want but your going to get caught in a pucker situation, not if, but when, and you'll need to get into cover quick. I see people every year in Seward, it just happens.

As a side note, if you do find a good dual purpose boat,let me know, then I can get rid of a couple.... Good luck finding your perfect setup - really.
    Tony