Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Line up at whittier boat ramp

Default Line up at whittier boat ramp

I pulled into whittier harbor around 3:15 pm today and there was a good number of boats waiting in the harbor for their turn to pull up to the ramp float and pull out their boat. I wanted to go to my slip on H float so I started going past the boats to my slip. The road rage I encountered really surprised me. The first guy in a 28'ish koffler hull acted like he was going to ram me twice, and almost crashed into the dock when he tried to spray me with his outboard (doesn't work well with a prop). Then he started screaming obscenities at me, which I didn't like as I had my kids and one of their friends onboard. My window was open but he never replied when I tried to talk to him. then some people in a c-dory started yelling also. I don't get it, even if I was so clueless as to be trying to cut the line, why would you go crazy like that? the other 6 or so boats were fine. I am posting this to remind people that not everyone in the harbor is going to the launch ramp. I do understand how frustrating waiting to pull your boat out is.
    when you are coming up from behind people it is hard to communicate with them. I would appreciate any suggestions to make this smoother as it left a bad taste in my mouth today.

We gave up and left for a few hrs lots of impatient A-Holes and the ramp was a hot mess.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    .......I would appreciate any suggestions to make this smoother as it left a bad taste in my mouth today.
    Stay away during the Memorial Day weekend madhouse.

What a mess it was. I was just glad the wind wasn't blowing. Boating brings out the best and worst in people.

I helped my buddy launch out of Homer on Thursday. He's a PWS guy so wasn't familiar with the ramp protocol at Homer and accidentally overlooked the big signs at the top of the ramp that say "No Staging--Keep Moving" as he moved gear out of his truck into the boat, just as I pulled up to meet him. The ramp wasn't crazy busy, but there was a steady stream of boats going in. While we (mostly he) was stowing the last of his stuff, pulled up by the bathrooms and only partly blocking one of the ramps, two different fellows very politely inquired whether it would be okay if they quickly launched in our lane while we finished up. No cussing, no hard looks, just a nicely-asked question about whether we were ready to roll, or if there were a couple minutes for them to get their boats in.

I reminded my friend that in if he'd pulled the same stunt in Whittier, the reception/reaction would not have been nearly as mellow. Something about the tunnel crowd just brings out the worst in some people... never understood that, when everybody's out for a fun & safe time on the water. Would be nice if things could be dialed back a few notches.

BTW, free 7-day truck/trailer parking in Homer just a few minutes from the top of the ramp. Maybe that's why everyone was so friendly there.
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

Well it would have been better if you informed your intension on ch 16 to the other boaters. I was behind the boat you are describing, you were passing all the boats while we were idling in to the ramp.

Effin city people. They won't let us shoot the jerks, so you just have to roll up your window and ignore them. Them kind are always so concerned about what other people are doing. Need to learn how to mind their own flippin' business. You don't need to tell 'em squat or go out of your way to try and justify what you're doing when what you're doing is perfectly legit.

I'd suggest you hoist the jolly roger just prior to entering the harbor and donning an eye patch and skull cap. Drive from the fly bridge and wave a sword around if any of 'em have the gall to hollar at you.

Best thing about the tunnel... it keeps most of those jerks off the Kenai.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Well it would have been better if you informed your intension on ch 16 to the other boaters. I was behind the boat you are describing, you were passing all the boats while we were idling in to the ramp.
    You have to tell other boaters you are going to your slip to keep them from cussing in front of your kids? Really?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have the luxury of planning my trips around the weekends so I don't have to deal with the crazies, but have been in that situation a couple times. I was shocked at how rude and stupid my fellow man can be. I know last year when the guy was yelling at my wife he was darn lucky I was off getting the truck and not just walking back to the boat. She was pissed and he was an ass, after that we would rather go out on Friday AM and come back Monday or go mid week just because we can.

What Whittier needs is another boat ramp or even a tractor operation at the head of the bay... I would happily pay a bit more to avoid the Harbor.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    I pulled into whittier harbor around 3:15 pm today and there was a good number of boats waiting in the harbor for their turn to pull up to the ramp float and pull out their boat. I wanted to go to my slip on H float so I started going past the boats to my slip. The road rage I encountered really surprised me. The first guy in a 28'ish koffler hull acted like he was going to ram me twice, and almost crashed into the dock when he tried to spray me with his outboard (doesn't work well with a prop). Then he started screaming obscenities at me, which I didn't like as I had my kids and one of their friends onboard. My window was open but he never replied when I tried to talk to him. then some people in a c-dory started yelling also. I don't get it, even if I was so clueless as to be trying to cut the line, why would you go crazy like that? the other 6 or so boats were fine. I am posting this to remind people that not everyone in the harbor is going to the launch ramp. I do understand how frustrating waiting to pull your boat out is.
    when you are coming up from behind people it is hard to communicate with them. I would appreciate any suggestions to make this smoother as it left a bad taste in my mouth today.
    That was us in the C-dory, sorry for any remarks coming from my crew or myself; they were not meant to be rude. Not sure what I said if anything, was just surprise to see a Hewescraft 2 feet from my window threading through the mayhem….good navigating by the way. I think most of us were just caught off guard by a trailerable boat slipping by. Not sure how you would make your intentions known other than have someone stand on the bow yelling or holding up a sign.

Indeed it was a zoo that afternoon, a few greenhorn boaters slowing things for sure. We intentionally came back a day early to avoid the turmoil, seems a lot of boaters had the same idea.

We really just took it all in stride after having a great 4 days down south.

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    You should have taken an ad out on the radio and news paper tOo... These guys have to know exactly what your doing and why. Man am I glad I don't go to that hole any more.

I pulled out at noon and no problem. By the time I got back with my truck there was a 5 min. Wait and then I backed down to retrieve. I'm glad I passed on one last pot pull and headed home early. Did stop for some fresh oysters on the way.

Sounds like Russian River red fishing. Wonder if some of the "boaters" learned their tricks there. They sure didn't learn them from real mariners, any more than Russian River red fishermen learned how to "fish" from real fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKL View Post
    .......Something about the tunnel crowd just brings out the worst in some people... never understood that, when everybody's out for a fun & safe time on the water.....
    Maybe it's the proximity to Anchorage and the rat race attitude to get out there as soon as possible, then back at the last minute to get to work?

.....BTW, free 7-day truck/trailer parking in Homer just a few minutes from the top of the ramp. Maybe that's why everyone was so friendly there.
    The lack of gouging has to help...........

It would help if there was someone at the ramp (city employee) who actually knew what they were doing. At the very least, that gal needs to make sure everyone pulls their boat forward whenever there is room as boats are retrieved. Everyone jockeying waiting for a spot to open up and people just not doing what needs to be done.

What a zoo on Saturday morning. There were 3 lines of boats trying to launch at the same time and the gal in charge was anything but in charge. I was communicating with as many people as possible to keep tensions down. The real problem is parking the pickup and trailer and them having to make it all the way back to finally launch. I had to park by the airport and take the shuttle. All in all, that was almost 30 minutes before I could launch and get out of the way. Finally made it back late Sunday and had to run to get the pickup. It's bad enough I'm in the North 40, it's twice as bad to have to walk or run there to get the boat out of the water and get out of the way. Something has to change. There needs to be another launch and there needs to be a larger area for parking near the launch. That being said, the only reason I go to Whittier is for shrimping and bear hunting......and I'm thinking I'm done with both out of there. Nothing is worth the sour taste in my mouth almost every time I launch out of Whittier. I got a great laugh as I bought 20 lbs of year old herring for $58 too. On a positive note Montague was kind as we landed a couple of 100 lbs fish on Sunday so I guess that was good.

Were you on the gulf side of montie? It was bumpy from latouch up to green on sunday afternoon for me. Were you fishing deep? I had no issues during my departure yesterday around 3pm - everything seemed fine except for a couple folks that need trailer backup lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    You have to tell other boaters you are going to your slip to keep them from cussing in front of your kids? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    You should have taken an ad out on the radio and news paper tOo... These guys have to know exactly what your doing and why. Man am I glad I don't go to that hole any more.
    If you weren't at the scene don't even start. I was aswering to TWODOGS question, that may have reduced all the madness from the boaters that were coming in. "when you are coming up from behind people it is hard to communicate with them. I would appreciate any suggestions to make this smoother as it left a bad taste in my mouth today.". Yes it was a safety concern and should have been announced on ch 16 on his intent to overtake over half dozen boaters that were heading in to the ramp inline in narrow harbor. Would have been even better if TWODOGS came in with other boaters inline and got in to his slip.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    That was us in the C-dory, sorry for any remarks coming from my crew or myself; they were not meant to be rude. Not sure what I said if anything, was just surprise to see a Hewescraft 2 feet from my window threading through the mayhem….good navigating by the way. I think most of us were just caught off guard by a trailerable boat slipping by. Not sure how you would make your intentions known other than have someone stand on the bow yelling or holding up a sign.

Indeed it was a zoo that afternoon, a few greenhorn boaters slowing things for sure. We intentionally came back a day early to avoid the turmoil, seems a lot of boaters had the same idea.

We really just took it all in stride after having a great 4 days down south.

C-Dory owners are the worst............

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Were you on the gulf side of montie? It was bumpy from latouch up to green on sunday afternoon for me. Were you fishing deep? I had no issues during my departure yesterday around 3pm - everything seemed fine except for a couple folks that need trailer backup lessons.
    I was fishing the gulf side and almost 10 miles away from the SW side of the island. The bigger fish came on tide changeover coming from the South and when we were sitting at 225 feet. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast