Thread: Got any ideas on planting trees in Matsu soil

Default Got any ideas on planting trees in Matsu soil

Tried to plant some shrubs in front on the house 2 years ago and they are dead already. Getting ready to replant some more so I hope this time they will take. What are some tips or tricks to keep them growing this time. Soil is clay with gravel typical of what alot of the new houses are built on. The shrubs to be planted are small long needle pine bought in pots at Lowe's. I don't know the soil PH or anything crazy like that.

First you should pick up some compost and some better soil ,make sure that you dig a hole bigger than your root ball on the plant . If the plant is root bound then you will want to cut some of the roots loose ,do not leave them all bound up as they will not be able to take in any nutrients.Make sure as you are planting them that you water as go so that you will get soil all down around the roots .Even though they are in the ground they can still have voids around the roots that will not allow them to intake of moisture. Good Luck

In general, plants that were grown in Alaska tend to do much better. There are plenty of trees and shrubs sold at Lowes, Costco, and such that are labeled for our climate zones, but many of them don't thrive here. I have a few in my yard from such sources that have done alright, but my locally grown trees and shrubs have done far better. There are a number of nurseries out in the valley - that's where I would look.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    In general, plants that were grown in Alaska tend to do much better. There are plenty of trees and shrubs sold at Lowes, Costco, and such that are labeled for our climate zones, but many of them don't thrive here. I have a few in my yard from such sources that have done alright, but my locally grown trees and shrubs have done far better. There are a number of nurseries out in the valley - that's where I would look.
    +1
    That don't mean other shrubs won't grow. Just not grow well. And when we get a bad -25 windy winter week, many don't recover.
    You can cover them with garbage bags & fill the bags with the styrofoam peanuts to help get them thru &
    bed down the roots.
    Heavy snow years help, but the 40 "January thaw" followed by -20 is a shrub killer.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information I forwarded to my wife so she get the shrubs planted as I'm currently deployed, but would much rather be home taking care of business. Called home and she said the shrubs were in the ground so kind of excited to see what she picked out. Thanks again...