Thread: New and need Kenai king help

Default New and need Kenai king help

I'm looking for any help in choosing a spinning rod and reel to get my first king. Also some advice on lures or bait would be really appreciated

Thumbs up In my humble opinion

Reels of choice for King fishing are level winds or bait casters, of which there are many good ones (see "favorite rod/reel for Kings" below). I use a Penn 209 on a Cabela's Kenai King 7.5' med-heavy rod. There are also several different methods of catching the big guys... back trolling, drifting, back bouncing... all good ones that produce so it's just a matter of personal preference. I have personally fished the lower Kenai for 11 years and have tried all these methods and have found that the back bouncing method works best for me. I have no problem filling my license and all who go with me when we back bounce. And it's quite a feat to maneuver the boat in the midst of the crowd! I use 20# test line with a cannon ball sinker 6-10oz, (depending on current), on a slider with a 18" leader attached below, on the leader is a large Spin-glo above a 7/0 single hook. Very effective with this technique.