Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A New Davit...and Plastic Surgery for the Electra-Dyne

  1. #1
    Member IceKing02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    552

    Default A New Davit...and Plastic Surgery for the Electra-Dyne

    After folding last year's davit in half during a minor pot hangup it was time to get a new one. I called up Ben from Silver Streak and brought him in the davit from last year. His first misgiving was that the entire davit arm and mounting plate were light enough to lift with one finger. Secondly, the boom was too long and made it easy to bend both the elbow and/or the leg. His solution was heavier-gauge pipe and an inside-radius, full length brace to reinforce the elbow. He was able to reuse the backing plate for the Electra-Dyne and the tab for the open hauling block. Here are the results and the pricing was VERY reasonable.

    photo-8.jpgphoto-9.jpg

    Mounted up and ready to go Ben's comment was that THIS davit was "strong enough to hang a moose off of it"! Who knows? I might just try it and see...

  2. #2
    Member IceKing02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    552

    Default ...And Now to Plastic Surgery!

    Having a new davit and putting my oxidized Electra-Dyne backing plate on it? No-ho-HOOoo, that just wouldn't do! I was pretty certain that I wouldn't be getting out to play on Memorial Day weekend so the next project was to match the E-dyne to the boat. I used a stainless steel wire wheel, sandpaper (aluminum oxide...how ironic), degreaser and acetone to take off corrosion, and then wiped it down with mild acid to etch the surface. Same for the steel sheaves and bolt heads. The pieces were painted with Appliance Epoxy and the Rustoleum brand seemed to apply a MUCH more even coating to surfaces than the can of Krylon that I ended up throwing away. Inside of the cast backing plate I sprayed Cold Galvanizing compound figuring that this would be an appropriate location for sacrificial zinc. Lettering was done by hand with acrylic paint and a couple coats of clear to seal them against the weather. Heck, I even cleaned and cleared-coated the rope knife..."gilding the lily," I suppose.

    photo-6.jpgphoto-7.jpg

  3. #3
    Member IceKing02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    552

    Default The Final Product

    So here is the final product. Now it is time to get out and enjoy some sunny shrimping weather!

    photo-5.jpg

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Very nice job. I did the same to mine this past winter. Sure looks better than the old oxidized plate.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  6. #6

    Default

    Looking over older threads...hoping IceKing02 and Rob B and anyone else, for that matter, might report how their puller paint jobs held up after a season of use.

  7. #7
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Mine has held up perfectly. No rust or oxidation on the housing at all. But the inside of my sheeves will never stay clean no matter what I do to them.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  8. #8
    Member DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Looks great!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •