Thread: Cataraft on the ocean?

Default Cataraft on the ocean?

Curious if anyone has experience or opinions on taking a 8 ft cataraft out on the ocean. Fishing low tide and weather dependant, it seems like a good way to get out to those fish just out of casting range. Any opinions would be great. Thanks.

Several of us use the heck out of our Outcast pontoon boats. I've got a 9' and my wife and our usual bud both have 8's. We're in bays and pick our weather, seldom going more than 100 yards from shore. Another couple of buds have others brands outfitted with trolling motors, and they go further. You'll be amazed at the schools of salmon that lay just offshore in summer. We also get halibut, but with lots of forethought. Best is to rig with a rod holder to free both hands so you can row to shore to land them.

One serious consideration: Mount a fish box on the back. Really got into the chums and silvers one day and ended up with a limit hanging on a line off the side of my boat. Gathered up my wife and a bud next day and went back out. Before I got a fish, had a salmon shark longer than my boat swim up a couple of feet away and roll on it's side and look me right in the eye. I don't like to think about what would have happened if I had fish hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Before I got a fish, had a salmon shark longer than my boat swim up a couple of feet away and roll on it's side and look me right in the eye. I don't like to think about what would have happened if I had fish hanging.
    Now that's kinda scary......

"What happened to you?"

"I had to swim for it when a salmon shark ate my fish and took my boat with him...!!!"

"Who'd have ever thunk?"........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Now that's kinda scary......

"What happened to you?"

"I had to swim for it when a salmon shark ate my fish and took my boat with him...!!!"

"Who'd have ever thunk?"........lol
    You're a mind reader! Fishing was over that day.

I've since added a long handled net so there won't be a salmon thrashing against the side of the boat while landing it, too.