Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any clam reports from this weekend?

Default Any clam reports from this weekend?

Has anyone been out clamming with the low tides this weekend?

Yeah, out with a group of 6 adults and a 5 year old yesterday. We got about 700-800 razors, average 5". Great weather and killer clam digging. Cleaning clams all day today.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Yeah, out with a group of 6 adults and a 5 year old yesterday. We got about 700-800 razors, average 5". Great weather and killer clam digging. Cleaning clams all day today.
    Glad you're being sarcastic or digging the west side since you wouldn't want to incriminate yourself for illegal over the limit harvesting per the EO issued by F&G

Wow, That sounds like a something someone who got a timeout from the forum would say! I will say glad you did great on your clams, good eating and keep up the good work

Went out yesterday. Got about 15 but only dug for 30 minutes. Dont really need more than that anyway. The beach was PACKED. We drove down away from the crowd and enjoyed ourselves.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Beautiful day on deep creek beach yesterday but digging was slow. I got 10 in four hours although I will readily admit I am no expert and only dig once a year. If you want some clams, looks to me like you should take the charter to the west side. Those folks slayed them from what I saw when they came back.

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    Beautiful day on deep creek beach yesterday but digging was slow. I got 10 in four hours although I will readily admit I am no expert and only dig once a year. If you want some clams, looks to me like you should take the charter to the west side. Those folks slayed them from what I saw when they came back.
    We went down from ninilchik all the way to the other side of deep creek. There was nobody over there. My buddy picked up about 15 in 30 minutes or so and he has never dug before. I think getting away from the crowd helps out a bit. There must have been 400 people about 3/4 of a mile up the beach.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    We went down from ninilchik all the way to the other side of deep creek. There was nobody over there. My buddy picked up about 15 in 30 minutes or so and he has never dug before. I think getting away from the crowd helps out a bit. There must have been 400 people about 3/4 of a mile up the beach.
    Thanks for the info. I would agree that getting away from the crowd might help. We walked 3 miles south from tractor launch area and I know that area gets hit pretty hard every year. Still, I found much less clams than normal but I got all I wanted. I love fried razor clam fresh out of the sea, but I don't care for them frozen so I just take enough for 1-2 meals. It is a rite or spring to me. Ummm ummm good.

I just talked to a buddy who has a place in Clam Gulch. 6 people got 22 clams before they called it. As he put it "if there are this few clams around I don't need to kill any". Not looking good.

Took a day trip out to ninilchik on saturday. We dug up about 25 in about 2 hrs between two adults. Only had 1 shovel and was digging the wrong way for the first hour lol. Not many clams out there this year. Kinda glad they put the eo out on them. The numbers are decreasing drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    Glad you're being sarcastic or digging the west side since you wouldn't want to incriminate yourself for illegal over the limit harvesting per the EO issued by F&G
    The group I clam with tends to ignore emergency orders. We just happened to find a spot among 10,000 pukers from Anchorage where we managed to get 800 large clams while they were only able to find 10 dinks each. Thanks for accusing people of illegal acts. Feel free to send the troopers to my house, schmuck.

I'm just not finding the humor in this.

Some friends went for steamers on Sunday and they only got about 1/4 to 1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket.
    That was with quite a few of them digging they had 2 boat loads of grandkids etc. I think they said they went to the China Poot area.
    So even the other clams are not looking so good.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

What in the world do you do with 800 clams?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    What in the world do you do with 800 clams?
    He did say 6 adults so that is most likely at least three families. I'm not much of a clam eater but I could see 3 families eat that many in a year quite easily.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Yeah I thought about that after I posted. I was just shocked by that amount. After I clean 30 I'm spent! I'll eat/clean 30 after that I'll buy chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I'm just not finding the humor in this.
    Man you guys need to lighten up... So the limit is 25 per person I know guys with 8-10 family members so what's the 250 clams. That's the #1 problem with this forum all the Internet cops I bet someone did call the troopers too...

ended up getting a limit of razors after 3 tries, got 4 in front of wiskey gulch, 12 in front of ninilchik, then finished off the limit at clam gulch today. we just searched right in front of the accesses, clam gulch had a lot of clams but all were small.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    The group I clam with tends to ignore emergency orders. We just happened to find a spot among 10,000 pukers from Anchorage where we managed to get 800 large clams while they were only able to find 10 dinks each. Thanks for accusing people of illegal acts. Feel free to send the troopers to my house, schmuck.
    I'm stoked that you guys killed it clamming! I assumed you went to the Westside. Just for the record, there are plenty of Pukers on the Pennisula and abroad bud. There not all from Anchorage :0)
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    I'm stoked that you guys killed it clamming! I assumed you went to the Westside. Just for the record, there are plenty of Pukers on the Pennisula and abroad bud. There not all from Anchorage :0)
    Yeah it was westside. My parents and I kept about 400 clams and gave the others to the other 5 head's of household that were digging. We eat a few of the clams fresh, then can the rest. Home canned razor clams are one of my very favorite foods to eat. Plus they chop up nice for dips and chowders. And they last a long time in cans and also make great Christmas presents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast