Thread: Nilnilchik and Deep creek question

Default Nilnilchik and Deep creek question

Has anyone been or is a regular fisher of the Nilnilchik or Deep creek rivers lately. I have heard that they are greatly under fished for both silvers and kings. Is this credible? It would appear that there are respectable numbers of fish taken for harvest from both rivers. I heard from a fishing colleague that the silver action on a fly rod can be astounding late august early September on both these coastal streams. Can anyone advise on the same. Thanks from Ireland................

Silver fishing on both rivers can be fantastic, but just like everywhere else the fish have to show up. I have not been fishing those rivers actively for a few years but even on low number years you can find a hole full of fish and catch a few. Fishing pressure comes and goes but there is a small group of guys you see every year on the rivers.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Has anyone been or is a regular fisher of the Nilnilchik or Deep creek rivers lately. I have heard that they are greatly under fished for both silvers and kings. Is this credible? It would appear that there are respectable numbers of fish taken for harvest from both rivers. I heard from a fishing colleague that the silver action on a fly rod can be astounding late august early September on both these coastal streams. Can anyone advise on the same. Thanks from Ireland................

I'm not sure of the fishing pressure there these days, but if you haven't caught silvers on a fly rod you just have't lived !!! They are so very aerial that they are almost dry when you finally gring them to your net. My favorite fly fishing target, easilly . . . . . I always planned on early to mid August, rather than much later than that.

Default Maybe silvers...

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    I wouldn't characterize either of those waters as "under fished," at least for kings. It's true that the Ninilchik and Deep Creek don't get a lot of fishing pressure compared to other Peninsula streams. This has seemed especially true in recent years and the reason, in my opinion, is that the king fishing on the Ninilchik and Deep Creek has been generally quite poor during that time (makes sense, no?). Not a lot of fish, not a lot of fishermen and fisherwomen. Others may have differing experiences. I have been fishing those rivers for thirty years. That does not make me any kind of an expert on the subject; just someone with a frame of reference.

It's been a long time since I've fished for silvers down there but I wholeheartedly agree that it can be a hoot. Not sure what those runs have been like lately compared to the king runs.