Thread: Montana creek float

Default Montana creek float

I was planning on trying to float down montana creek next weekend does anyone know what it looks like right now?

The water has come up pretty good with the warm temps. Which portion are you planning to float?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

put in behind the army navy store and float down to montana creek campground.

How long is that float? What type of craft are you going to be using? I was up there this weekend and it is high, muddy, running fast and saw a few small trees floating down...

I use a 16 ft cat and it takes us about 6 or 7 hours with stopping to fish the holes. I was there this weekend and it was too high and muddy to risk taking the family out.

How challenging is the float?

Have you floated down from yoder road, or just from the surplus store?

I am going to try and float more this year.

Thanks

I have a 16' Cat as well. I was up there last weekend and it was fast, muddy and potentially dangerous for sweepers and strainers. Wondering if the Cat will work from Yoder Rd down to surplus or the Parks? Thanks!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Just got back from checking the take out at the parks on Montana...if you go past the bridge you will not go far...it is a solid log jam across about 100 yards downstream...smaller rafts may be able to go left and then carry it over the sweeper/strainer...big cats will not have an easy time...

Pack a chainsaw and open up the jam.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have never tried it from yoder we just put in at the surplus store and then take out at montana creek campground or just before.

There are several sweepers coming down from yoder that can be scary or benign depending on flow and experience level. At high water the creek flows fairly quickly and you have to be on your game. At lower flows it can be quite bony and I would travel as light as possible in larger boats.

I did it in a canoe...ONCE... from Yoder. Never again. The run from behind the surplus store to the Parks Hwy is only about 4 miles of creek, 2.5 air miles. The creek is still running pretty high.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We floated Montana yesterday in a 15' sotar. I would not recommend doing that again. There are at least 8 log jams ranging in size from small to scary. We spent most of the day portaging up and around things. A one man cat would be doable but be careful and conservative in your decisions. We saw some debris up in some jams that looked like it had come from others, coolers etc.....

Where did you put in at?