Thread: BIG SU Adventure

Talking BIG SU Adventure

Well to add to the weekend adventures, we decided that PWS was going to be a little too rough and we knew the Big-Su was open. That night I switched from "Butt" to "King" rigs.

Down to Deshka Landing we went. First thing we noticed was the new gate gismo they have. Pretty cool, just insert your ATM card, $27 later and a little piece of paper in the window, the gate opens automatically and we were off to the launch.

There was water in the launch area, but we decided to launch off the cliff. There were 5 people there sitting on their boat, drinking beer. I launch the boat and park it on the other side of the launch mouth and wait for the wife to return. Meanwhile two other boats come in from down river and told us to be careful, as the first turn is shallow. As we got ready to launch for our trip, the boat with the 5 people, come blasting by and their wake sends me crashing into the other boats and I notice they were riding pretty low in the water.

You guessed it! They went high and dry on the first curve as I go roaring by waving. I figured if they were still there when I came back, I would give them a lift.

Saw some shallow spots. Once in the main channel there is a nice gravel bar on the corner. It would also appear that the mouth of the Deshka has changed this year. The big long gravel bar that jetted out to the mouth seems to have been worn down and now there is a big island.

The Mat-Su campground took a big hit and there will be some cleaning up to do. There was some flow come down the Deshka so we tried putting wiggle warts out the back, no luck. The wind was blowing pretty badly and we were told that it was blowing real bad at the Yentna and Su confluence.

We went back and loaded the boat. I had problems loading in the channel with the current and actually had the boat on top of the bunk. Had to put it into the launch and re-float it to set it right on the trailer. Then I saw folks who had launched their big boats in the launch and went full throttle out the throat. The water on the right side seemed deep enough, but with boats parked and screaming out of the launch area seemed a little dangerous to me.

By the way, the group of folks that grounded their boat, they turned around and were sitting in their boat on the trailer, drinking beer when we got back. It was a good place for them.
    Last edited by AKBassking; 05-14-2007 at 23:47. Reason: Spelling

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

akbassking

It sounds like the water is pretty low How bad was it to run? Or is it just low but no that bad unless your drinking beer and trying to run the river.

Default Made it to Lake Creek

I made it to Lake Creek on Saturday. The river is pretty low and the current at the low water launch make for an interesting recovery. I only bumped on that first corner as I wasn't on step yet.

Wind was howling at Su - Yentna confluence. All the sloughs on the Yentna were pretty much trickles and I didn't go up into Lake Creek since it got real shallow in a hurry. Not getting stuck was the order of the day! It was a nice 5 hour boat ride though and it sure beat raking the yard or sitting on the couch.

Coach curt
    what type of boat are you running, thanks for the help

Thumbs up Big Su

My cousin and I took his new Alumaweld Flatbottom out of Deshka landing on Mothers day and ran all over just burning gas. (His gas)...
    The water was pretty low at various spots all the way down to the Yentna mouth. The Yentna itself wasn't bad, easy to read the channel and plenty of water, but we only went up about 7-8 miles. We hit some side channels and dinked around all the way back up to the Deshka landing. Since we still had fuel left, I showed him the way on up to Willow and Little Willow. There are alot more skinny spots above the landing but if you pick through it and have a second pair of eyes, that won't hurt ya. We never did hit bottom but we saw plenty of gravel and waited for the scrape/bump. It never happened...
    We saw one moose, no bears and no Kings rolling anywhere. There was a guy fishing at the mouth of the Deshka in a green Woolridge (?), but he didn't appear to be having much luck. I hope he was fishing for trout since (I believe) the king fishing was still closed. Anyways, had a good time and got my cousins new boat wet.

I didn't hit either. King fishing is allowed on the Deshka, just no bait until May 15th. OK Wooldridge. I was the boat with the "Stars and Bars"

No bites though, but had a good time.

Coach curt, did the confluance of the Yentna and Big Su have shallows water on the Big Su part just north of the Yentna?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Big Su

I have a white 21' North River with the 350/212 inboard. There was some shallow water at the confluence of the Yentna and the Su. I ran the same channel (line on the GPS) that I used last year at lower water and had at least 3.5 feet of water under the boat at all times. Just aimed for the far point of the confluence and gave the bar plenty of room. No problems!

coach curt im learning how to use my gps garmin 492 is there a way you could give me your grid cordinates so I could follow the route you took? Any help would be appreciated thanks Chris

Default Skybust

Sent you a PM

Some kind of experience, huh?

Go Westy Camper Products - The Go Westy Camper Catalog

I hit the Big Su last weekend in my Wooldridge Alaskan II. launched at Deshka Landing and went up-stream from there. I made a wrong turn and entered Willow Creek by mistake. There were a few guys fishing and I turned around and made a rookie mistake by hitting the throttle in 6 inches of water and sucked some rocks in the impeller. I cleared it out and proceeded up the Big-Su. There was plenty of water for us to run and we went as far as Montana Creek. Stopped there had some food and turned around and came back. I did hit one boulder coming back down but we pretty much slid right over it. (Second rookie mistake taking my eyes off the river!) We did not have any problems with shallows at all.

I hit the Big Su last weekend in my Wooldridge Alaskan II. launched at Deshka Landing and went up-stream from there. I made a wrong turn and entered Willow Creek by mistake. There were a few guys fishing and I turned around and made a rookie mistake by hitting the throttle in 6 inches of water and sucked some rocks in the impeller. I cleared it out and proceeded up the Big-Su. There was plenty of water for us to run and we went as far as Montana Creek. Stopped there had some food and turned around and came back. I did hit one boulder coming back down but we pretty much slid right over it. (Second rookie mistake taking my eyes off the river!) We did not have any problems with shallows at all. Now just waiting for the Kings!