Thread: Valdez Hunting Area Restrictions Changed

Default Valdez Hunting Area Restrictions Changed

Guys the hunting area restrictions for the areas around Valdez have changed. http://www.codepublishing.com/AK/Valdez/ I have not read it yet but please be aware of the restrictions.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Is Valdez in Colorado or NY?

B. No person may carry a loaded firearm on his person within an area of the city where discharge of the firearm is prohibited except:

1. A law enforcement officer acting within the scope and authority of his employment;

2. In the person’s own dwelling or on one’s owned or leased property or own vehicle;

3. On business premises in the course of employment for an owner or lessee of the premises;

4. While the person is actually engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, trapping or other lawful outdoor activity; or

5. Having a valid permit for the carrying of a concealed handgun as provided for by state statute and in compliance with all provisions pertaining to and regulating the carrying of a concealed handgun by permit. (Ord. 04-03 § 1 (part): Ord. 94-14 § 1: prior code § 17-5)

I didn't read the link, but wouldn't no. 5 be covered under the state's carry laws (i.e. - no permit required)?

Default Valdez hunting map

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Guys the hunting area restrictions for the areas around Valdez have changed. http://www.codepublishing.com/AK/Valdez/ I have not read it yet but please be aware of the restrictions.
    Thanks for posting the link: i have looked at the map and read the hunting guidelines and not much has changed that i can find. but as i keep a tab on all areas i can hunt it is nice to have an updated map and specific guidelines.

Default Valdez Gun Law

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Is Valdez in Colorado or NY?

B. No person may carry a loaded firearm on his person within an area of the city where discharge of the firearm is prohibited except:

1. A law enforcement officer acting within the scope and authority of his employment;

2. In the person’s own dwelling or on one’s owned or leased property or own vehicle;

3. On business premises in the course of employment for an owner or lessee of the premises;

4. While the person is actually engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, trapping or other lawful outdoor activity; or

5. Having a valid permit for the carrying of a concealed handgun as provided for by state statute and in compliance with all provisions pertaining to and regulating the carrying of a concealed handgun by permit. (Ord. 04-03 § 1 (part): Ord. 94-14 § 1: prior code § 17-5)
    I am not a lawyer.

I called the Valdez PD and spoke with Officer Valentine about this on 6/3/2013. He told me that they are just like any other part of AK open carry, conceal, except felon , DV , (state law 29.35.145) The actual hunting area might of changed but you can have your guns loaded and on your person.

Sec. 29.35.145. Regulation of firearms.
    (a) The authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state, and, except as specifically provided by statute, a municipality may not enact or enforce an ordinance regulating the possession, ownership, sale, transfer, use, carrying, transportation, licensing, taxation, or registration of firearms.
    (b) Municipalities may enact and enforce ordinances
    (1) that are identical to state law and that have the same penalty as provided for by state law;
    (2) restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that people, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized; ordinances enacted or enforced under this paragraph may not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by art. I, sec. 19, Constitution of the State of Alaska, to bear arms in defense of self or others;
    (3) restricting the areas in their respective jurisdictions in which firearms may be sold; a business selling firearms may not be treated more restrictively that other businesses located within the same zone; and
    (4) prohibiting the possession of firearms in the restricted access area of municipal government buildings; the municipal assembly shall post notice of the prohibition against possession of firearms at each entrance to the restricted access area.
    (c) The prohibition on taxation in (a) of this section does not include imposition of a sales tax that is levied on all products sold within a municipality.
    (d) This section applies to home rule and general law municipalities.
    (e) In this section,
    (1) "firearms" includes firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof including ammunition and reloading components;
    (2) "restricted access area" means the area beyond a secure point where visitors are screened and does not include common areas of ingress and egress open to the general public.

#4 "Lawful outdoor activity" was placed in the VMC over 25 years ago by a pro gun council member. This has been this way well over 25 years. There is nothing to worry about, unless your engaged in a "non lawful outdoor activity"

carry on