Thread: Winter in May

Default Winter in May

Here are a few pictures of our trip to Squirrel Cove last Friday to celebrate my son Zach's 9th birthday. What a contrast from today and hard to believe we had so much snow only a week ago! We got Arrived in Whittier and were met with 3" of snow on the ground and a pure white ramp. We had no problem launching our 24", and don't know if it was because it is a fairly lighter boat, or the fact that we got first tracks on the ramp. The two boats after us slid most of the way down to the water. We headed out in Passage Canal in heavy snow, 15 kt wind, visibility less than a quarter mile and calm seas. I figure the seas were so flat because we were motoring through 2 inches of slush all the way to the cabin. The boat did a great job plowing through the slop and everyone on board was at ease with how the boat handled extreme conditions. We don't usually encounter conditions like this because we don't boat in the winter, but this was May!! The only thing the boat needs now is a radar, as we seem to be using the boat more earlier and later
    in the season. Why not, it does great and I know the boat will always get me and the family back home safely. We got to the cove and it looked more like a frozen lake than a salt water anchorage. The snow formed a perfect blanket of white. Friday was the most dramatic. It was good to have the heat going in the Squirrel Cove cabin and watch the big flakes from inside. The conditions were similiar to how I would picture the cove in February. Zach had an awesome birthday celebration despite the less than ideal conditions. By Sunday all the snow had melted and it looked like spring again. He is already talking about next year and is ready to repeat the trip for his 10th birthday! Sammy our 5 year old doesn't like being left out and now wants his birthday party to also be at the cabin. Only problem is that his birthday is in February. I guess I'd better start saving for that radar!

Propnut
    Event Horizon
    24' Wooldridge SS Pilothouse XL

IMG_6716_zps0f3a4e58.jpgIMG_6715_zps06e88793.jpg

Sounds like a great trip. I love Whittier in the winter. It's so peaceful. But Winter in May? WTH? I've done a few trips out there in the winter. It sure is a nice place to be. It's nice seeing your boys so interested in doing fun stuff outside. Beats Chucky Cheese any day.

Radar is more useful that just poor weather. I use mine quite often while running around.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Man, I wish we could have launched on Saturday. The ramp was snow covered and I really didn't feel like getting walked by the dog down the ramp. All was not lost, though. We decided to make the most of our "kitchen passes" and weather the storm on the trailer...valley style. It was a sustained 20 knots with 40 knot gusts. We couldn't light the grill! I must say that the pulled beef sandwiches at the hotel were quite good and the one man band rocked. It felt kind of odd hailing you on the VHF from land, but what the hell? Sorry we missed Z man's big day. Did I mention that the ESPAR rocks?

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have that cabin for a few days this summer. The specs say it has a diesel stove? What condition was that in?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Spoiled One - Sorry we couldn't hook up. Conditions were less than ideal to be sure. We assisted two seperate groups of kayakers over the weekend. One group we ran all the way back to Whittier. They had just nearly completed a two week trip from Seward and were dissapointed they were not able to go the final 7 miles. We cheered them up a bit with dinner, birthday cake, a pinjata and a cold beverage. Zach says it was his best birthday ever!

MRFISH - stove works great. Burns about a gallon of kerosene a day. Follow the directions for lighting printed on wall. This time of year the cabin should be heated up enough with all of the visitors that the stove can just idle on setting #3.

I hope we're out of the snowy wx for the year but for a bit of a warning to anyone navigating in blowing wet snow conditions with their radar, beware. When the radome gets plastered with an inch or two of the white stuff, it blanks out any signal and just looks like a clear screen with no targets showing up, even land. Long story how I know but wanted to let folks know so you don't get fooled like I did.