Thread: How to make sense of the ADF&G Emergency orders & regulations for Mat-Su ?

Default How to make sense of the ADF&G Emergency orders & regulations for Mat-Su ?

Ok, a newcomer here and going to visit the Mat-Su area with my rods & reels for 10 days.

How come I can't understand what I can fish and what I can take ?

Why are the Susitna regulations conflicting with the Emergency Orders that came out a few days ago ???

I don't know what I can fish for.

I am going to be in Willow and have access to 2 different access roads for river fishing (Deshka Landing & Willow Creek Parkway) and some lakes.

I have kids that want to fish anything (burbot, pike, trout, graylings, etc) but the EO says I have stop fishing for anything after catching 1 king. So how do we just fish for non kings ??

The artificial lure with single hooks - how do I get those ? I can only find triple hook lures.

Geesh !

Any help would be appreciated.

Emergency orders supersede the printed regulations in the book. smaller tackle for smaller fish. not familiar with the area up there but there should be places to fish for other species other than Kings. The regs might also state that fishing must stop after harvesting a King salmon but I have not read them for that area. as for the treble hook(triple hook as you put it), just cut it off with some snips and buy some siwash hooks. these are hooks that are open on the eye-end and you just crimp them shut once put on the lure. check for new emergency orders for the area in which you want to fish, before you go, and read the regs. Have fun! It is a nice area up there.

The regs were written/updated sometime early last year (2012) and put in print prior to July 1, 2012. Since then, new information has been found that impact some of the areas covered by the regs like the area you are fishing, thus they have to issue amendments to the regs which is done as an "Emergency Order". If the emergency order did not conflict with the regs, there would not be a reason for it. They are designed to let you know of something that has changed and is now different than what was advertised previously. They can't predict what might change at some point in the future, so the regs are just their best guess. They need to have a method to update them if they find out the fish runs are weaker/stronger than originally expected or if the seasons for certain types/methods of fishing need to be adjusted to fit what actually happens.

Are you planning on Fishing for Kings? If not then I would just stick with places where there are no kings. In that General area there are quite a few lakes that are stocked with trout and would be good to fish. Also Your not to far from the Nancy Lakes recreation park where there is decent to good pike fishing. King salmon you will find in the major rivers and creeks (Susitna, Willow, Deshka, Sheep Creek, Caswell ect) but if you stick to the local lakes then you dont need to worry about the emergency orders for the Kings at all. Keep in mind, this time of year about all the creeks are closed to Retention of Rainbow trout/Steel head till June15th, some even later. Honestly if your looking to take the kids fishing and want to stick to smaller fish I would stick to the lakes nearby.

When are you coming up? Some of the lakes around here are still iced up but should be ice free in a week some are almost ice free. How ever seems like the ones around Biglake/Houston/Willow area are still Thawing out. Now if your fishing from the shore as long as you have 30+ feet of open water you can start fishing any way. The lake fish are pretty hungry and should be eager to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The regs were written/updated sometime early last year (2012) and put in print prior to July 1, 2012.
    The new fishing regs came out April 15. 2013

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    The new fishing regs came out April 15. 2013

sent from my igloo
    Thanks. I was thinking of the hunting regs and just made a wrong assumption that the fishing regs were the same. The same general idea applies though. When writing/publishing the regs, they don't know what other information they will come across as the season develops thus the need for a way to modify them.

Thanks All Alaskan.
    We are planning on coming up June 17th which I hope most of the ice will be gone ?

Yes I am planning on fishing Kings but they will be on the Deshka or Susitna river - I have a private charter arranged in the event I don't get my limit of 2 from the riverbank.

That is GREAT news about the nearby lakes - we are staying next to Long Lake off the town of Willow. I have 3 boys (2 are under 16 which means they fish for free) and they love to fish - we normally fish off the ocean beach or surfcasting for perch, smelt, halibut here in California so this will be a BIG change.

I think if we target the graylings, pike, burbot, and other species in the nearby lakes, we should be very happy!

Last question for any of you in the Mat-Su area - what is the chance of a bear encounter as a fisherman ? I am packing a handgun but did not know if I should bring my 12ga slug shotgun ????

ANYONE ??

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Are you planning on Fishing for Kings? If not then I would just stick with places where there are no kings. In that General area there are quite a few lakes that are stocked with trout and would be good to fish. Also Your not to far from the Nancy Lakes recreation park where there is decent to good pike fishing. King salmon you will find in the major rivers and creeks (Susitna, Willow, Deshka, Sheep Creek, Caswell ect) but if you stick to the local lakes then you dont need to worry about the emergency orders for the Kings at all. Keep in mind, this time of year about all the creeks are closed to Retention of Rainbow trout/Steel head till June15th, some even later. Honestly if your looking to take the kids fishing and want to stick to smaller fish I would stick to the lakes nearby.

When are you coming up? Some of the lakes around here are still iced up but should be ice free in a week some are almost ice free. How ever seems like the ones around Biglake/Houston/Willow area are still Thawing out. Now if your fishing from the shore as long as you have 30+ feet of open water you can start fishing any way. The lake fish are pretty hungry and should be eager to eat.

O the lakes should be ice free well before you get here then

We have plenty of bears around here, both Black and Brown bears. I just about always take a gun with me when I go fishing. I take a 12 gauge loaded with Breneke Black Magic 3 inch Slugs (1 and 1/8 ounce) for bear protection. For hand hand gun I wouldn't use any thing under .44mag but some may argue either way on that lol. You will find more brown bears near the creeks but could run into either to be honest. Talk loudly, and often to each other and chances are you may not even see them. Usually bears will steer clear of you and will vanish before you even knew they were there if you make plenty of noise.

I have a friend who goes to Long lake often and he says its loaded with Rainbow trout. I haven't fished there since I was a kid so I cant give any first hand knowledge on that one. But if your looking to get into Pike the Nancy Lakes Rec park I know has pike in just about all there lakes. As for Grayling I haven't targeted them to much around here but I would think there would be some in Willow Creek. I would check out the regs though as they may be C &R only like the Rainbow trout in there. Also you can catch burbot right out of the Susitna river. Again though I would check the regs as far as bait goes since most people use bait to fish for Burbot and with the kings returning they may or may not allow for bait fishing for burbot. Some one else on here may pipe in who knows more than I.

June 17th all the ice should be long gone. I found out the lakes in Wasilla are open now, and yesterday I did some looking around in Biglake and I think within the next week they too will be ice free or darn near close. By the time you get here every thing in the area should be ice free for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 4SallyPat View Post
    Thanks All Alaskan.
    We are planning on coming up June 17th which I hope most of the ice will be gone ?

Yes I am planning on fishing Kings but they will be on the Deshka or Susitna river - I have a private charter arranged in the event I don't get my limit of 2 from the riverbank.

That is GREAT news about the nearby lakes - we are staying next to Long Lake off the town of Willow. I have 3 boys (2 are under 16 which means they fish for free) and they love to fish - we normally fish off the ocean beach or surfcasting for perch, smelt, halibut here in California so this will be a BIG change.

I think if we target the graylings, pike, burbot, and other species in the nearby lakes, we should be very happy!

Last question for any of you in the Mat-Su area - what is the chance of a bear encounter as a fisherman ? I am packing a handgun but did not know if I should bring my 12ga slug shotgun ????

ANYONE ??

The Deshka river is open to harvest but is only accessible by boat or plane. The big Su is all catch and release. Be very careful with keeping any king and be sure to know where you are. I'm not sure if you know the reason behind all of the EOs but the kings are REALLY HURTING in AK right now. If you are going to C and R please use heavy enough tackle to get the fish in quick. I hope you have a good trip and drop me a PM if you want.