Thread: Fly Rod for The Russian

Default Fly Rod for The Russian

Any suggestions for a good fly rod for the Russian that won't break the bank?

Assuming you're asking with regards to fishing for red salmon...

Get a 9' 8wt. You can spend as little or as much as you like. The quality and action of the rod is pretty much irrelevant. Same goes for the fly line. Cheap is fine. You're not casting for distance or feeling subtle strikes. You'll be flipping out an ounce or two of lead with a fly behind it - when the fly stops, set the hook.
    I've caught fish just as well with a Sci Ang 8wt I bought at walmart for $30 as anything else.
    Do consider getting a rod with a warranty. And if you see a use for an 8wt down the road, consider a step up in quality.
    Cabelas TLr $140 (currently on sale for $90), 10-year warranty
    Redington Pursuit $120, lifetime warranty
    St. Croix Imperial $230, lifetime warranty

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

You kind of left the question wide open. You can get away with a 7wt on the Russian and it will allow you to have a little fun with the trout as well. I have heard quite a bit of good about TFO, and they seem to be fairly reasonable. If your going to fish the Kenai very much I would get an 8wt for certain. Since you didn't mention a budget, and you didn't mention what you had a for a reel I would reccomend investing in a nice reel, and if all you can afford after that is an Ugly Stick they work great there, and you can always upgrade the rod. A cheap reel will wreck the day as you will spend more time untangling it. Thats my 10 cents

Good point regarding the reel...
    I've had no issues with the Lamson Konic, Echo Ion, or Okuma SLV. No personal experience with Ross Reels, but many like them.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

i have a TFO 8wt blank that i put together (my first build) and I like it a lot. They are not overly expensive rods and have a warranty. I would definately reccommend them. I put on a Ross vexsis reel with scientific angler sharkskin steelhead taper line. Its a pleasure to fish with.

I bought a TFO TiCr that is absolutely amazing. I picked it up for 98 bucks a BPS and its a 7wt i believe. I bought a Lamson Guru size 3 for it and ended up going with the left kreh Scientific angler line. That reel you can get on ebay for around 200.00. Its the best reel that Lamson makes for that price. But as far as rods go TFO's have an awesome feel and they arent too pricey.

Keep in mind you don't actually need a fly rod to fish the Russian, just a fly at the end of the line. With the amount of weight you need to get the fly down in that current, you can do just as well with a spinner as a fly rod, especially if you're more used to that gear. You won't have room to actually fly cast anyway, so the only difference is that a fly rod has a little more spring and action once you get a fish on. I'd say the majority of people on the Russian use spinning gear, not a fly rod. That is, again, if you are targeting salmon. If trout is your game, bring a packable 5wt if you have a good amount of fly fishing experience, 6 wt if not.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Assuming you're asking with regards to fishing for red salmon...

Get a 9' 8wt. You can spend as little or as much as you like. The quality and action of the rod is pretty much irrelevant. Same goes for the fly line. Cheap is fine. You're not casting for distance or feeling subtle strikes. You'll be flipping out an ounce or two of lead with a fly behind it - when the fly stops, set the hook.
    I've caught fish just as well with a Sci Ang 8wt I bought at walmart for $30 as anything else.
    Do consider getting a rod with a warranty. And if you see a use for an 8wt down the road, consider a step up in quality.
    Cabelas TLr $140 (currently on sale for $90), 10-year warranty
    Redington Pursuit $120, lifetime warranty
    St. Croix Imperial $230, lifetime warranty

Cheers,
    Rich

So I took the advise of Wyo2AK and picked up a TLR from Cabela's. I think that this is going to be a great Rod. I also picked up a Cabela's Prestige Plus Reel as the reviews compare its performance and quality to that of it's more expensive competitors. Now, what line do I load it up with? I want to go with a floating line for the versatility.

Also, I am getting away from the braided line on our spin reels this year and will go with mono line. I have been looking at Maxima Ulteagreen 25#. Any opinions on this line vs other brands/weights for the Russian?

early season i run maxima ultragreen #20lb with great success, it tracks well in the water and does well with a fish in the higher water and current. late season i like to tone it down a bit to #12lb or so with a longer rod to have some fun when the water levels drop. the fish also get a lot spookier, so the lighter line helps combat that issue.