Thread: Archery in the valley

Default Archery in the valley

So another question to pose the archers in the valley and surrounding area.
    How would you feel about havin an archery club out here in Palmer/wasilla area. I know there are a few around and know some of the issues with some. How would you like to see a club, possible place to take the kids or family out for a day of shooting or some practice. Maybe some weekly or biweekly shoots open to everyone... Would you be willing to join and what would you like to see in a club. For the record this is all just my asking question and getting opinions from forum members there are no plans (well yet ) for any club...

How about a chapter? Instead of a new club. You'd have the backing yet whoever is chosen would setup/deal with the valley shoots/issues. We had done something similar with the trad archers of ak and it did ok.

If u do get into this, think quality before quantity! If u only had one shoot a year make it good before having a shoot a week. Burn out is too high for a small group to survive! Having the backing of a bigger group (bsb, aba, etc) would help with getting going, insurance, targets, getting info out!!! And making a group in this state that everyone wants to be a part of!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    How about a chapter? Instead of a new club. You'd have the backing yet whoever is chosen would setup/deal with the valley shoots/issues. We had done something similar with the trad archers of ak and it did ok.

If u do get into this, think quality before quantity! If u only had one shoot a year make it good before having a shoot a week. Burn out is too high for a small group to survive! Having the backing of a bigger group (bsb, aba, etc) would help with getting going, insurance, targets, getting info out!!! And making a group in this state that everyone wants to be a part of!
    I hear you tradbow and certainly appreciate your input. I am not against a chapter but what I am against is the same old thing. I have been talking with some very good people and there are some possibilities that may soon become reality.. The common theme we discussed was a range dedicated and inviting for EVERYONE..I want to see a clean range where you can take the kids and even a spouse who doesn't shoot out and not have to brush break through the woods to get to the targets. I also want to see shots that a lot of trad guys prefer meaning hunkering down or what not..I would like to see shots compound guys like. Regardless of what you shoot and how you shoot i want it to be fun ... not a day of looking for lost arrows..there is no reason the there can't be more then one stake per target to accomadate everyones style of shooting... I want people to want to join not feel like they are being forced to join. There is a lot more that was discussed but the common theme was to bring back some good archery to the valley. I will hopefully have more info before too long but would love to hear from more members on your opinions...

I shot for years with the MatSu Archery Club. We had 3D shoots all the time...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

You should just go ahead and take the plunge and open a club. I can guarantee two members.

Same here. Don't mind helping out either if you need volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by AMMO JAY View Post
    Same here. Don't mind helping out either if you need volunteers.

appreciate that Jay...there are things in the works and I will be sure to post as info becomes available...